HID Self Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, what you are saying is that I am statistically insignifignt(sp)...
that your need to save $$$ in the future far out weighs my need to not lose $$$ money today...
Not at all how I intended to come across. I'd be very happy to see you get this solved w/ PayPal / Andy.

To clarify, I would just like to see you get your money back one way or another. Certainly the best way would be to get it back from Andy. However, as a last resort (so you don't get stuck w/ a product you don't want) I suggested that you may be able to sell it and recoup your cost. In addition, it would be a shame for ANYONE (including you if the circumstances were right) to miss out on a future opportunity to save some cash on a purchase.

And of course ultimately whatever you do is your decision...it's not like we all vote on how you deal with this situation.

Anyhow, please don't misunderstand what I meant. I hope this all works out for you. Somehow I suspect that this will be fixed very soon.

Best of luck to you.

Scott

Dana, I'm curious as to why/how you finally received the lights. Did Andy send you a set, even after you "cancelled" the order? Can you track where and when the lights started their journey? As in were the shipped before you cancelled?

Now that you have the lights, I think you have to decide whether to return them at your cost, sell them here, or as suggested, put them on eBay. Personally, I think you could make a few bucks on eBay. Trying to return them to Andy might prove to be costly and slow, much like the unfortunate experience you've already had. Now that you have the lights, he especially may not be interested in refunding your money unless you return the lights first. Total bummer. And your accident to boot. Sorry.

Don't blame you for being pissed. If you cancelled when he delayed and offered the upgrade, he's in the wrong. When he did that to me, I replied as soon as I got the email to have him ship them NOW, and not to delay. I don't think he paid any attention.

PS: I edited this post because I was getting V2win and wpbfjr's stories mixed up. Duh.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRocket,

I think you have him mixed up with me. I was the one who had FedEx misdeliver my lights. They are now lost. FedEx has acknowledged this and is in the process of reimbursing Andy for the lost lights since he paid the freight for the shipment. That should take about another week. I am in the position of now trying to get a refund from Andy. I asked for the refund after the problem with the high beams came up and my lights were lost. I asked Andy to NOT send another set when he gets the reimbursment from FedEx and to refund my funds to my Paypal account instead. Paypal has a time limit to file a claim in these cases. I have filed a claim with them because of the time constraints but I also explained to them that Andy would need a little time to receive notification from FedEx and get his/my money back. Andy could simply, call FedEx and verify that my shipment was indeed lost, refund my funds, and wait for his reimbursment, but I dont think that will happen.

John Calhoun

FJRocket,I think you have him mixed up with me. I was the one who had FedEx misdeliver my lights.

John Calhoun
Thanks John, My Bad. I've edited my post above. Just trying to get a defined time frame of all that Dana has put up with. Basically trying to see if he knows whether the lights were shipped after the cancellation or before.

Sadly, I've been to some websites were if you cancel the order after only 2 hours of it being in their system, they want to charge you 20% even though nothing has physically happened with an order. Some vendors are just shit.

Whoa dude! Don't shoot the golden goose here. That kind of reaction seems VERY extreme... Please don't **** it up for everybody else.
Agree with you there. The only people hurt in that kind of response are the others who are buying product that get slammed for something they want.

A reaction like that is the very reason fewer people bother with organizing a self-buy or group-buy any more. The seller goes back to their previous level of sales. The community (FJR in this case) gets a black eye so that other vendors are less willing to consider future self/group buys, and all the people who bought something they wanted (and understand that a wreck doesn't constitute a fault of the vendor) get rump ridden.

It reminds me of a time when a bunch of riders were offered ST1100's at dealer cost. One who took advantage of the offer (out of the many) was upset that her bike didn't include an owners manual (not a shop manual, mind you) and eventually contacted Honda America. The end result was a delership that took serious heat from Honda (maybe eventually leading to the loss of their franchise) and several people who were about to buy an ST1100 under the offer being left with nothing. And, the offer never being extended to anyone ever again. Who "got punished" in the end?

Lessee...

350 replies, 11, 200 hits... all over... friggin' light bulbs? Sheesh! Just ride during the day and y'all have nuttin' to worry about! ;)

Lessee...
350 replies, 11, 200 hits... all over... friggin' light bulbs? Sheesh! Just ride during the day and y'all have nuttin' to worry about! ;)
Easy for you to say.... with that post count of yours, how do you find time to ride at all, much less at night?! :lol: ;)

Lessee...
Unfortunately, my boss doesn't see that as a reason for flex time! :beee:

Personally, I'm just trying to jack up my own post count and then try to set a record on this thread that will never be matched. Hopefully we won't ever get a topic with this much R&D or controversy.

Admins, let it ride on!

Admins, let it ride on!
Well, if we REALLY wanted to make this thread last forever, I would have just ammended the outcome of the High-Beam/Low-Beam modification results here, instead of makine it its own thread in the Technical forum! :lol:
I thought you might say something like that. Glad you put the link to your new HID "customization" thread.

Or if we really wanted this thread to last forever.....

We could start argueing the benefits of [SIZE=14pt]OIL- COOLED HID LIGHTING[/SIZE] ....

and then we can all share our knowledge of what types of oil would work best in: heat dissipation, maximum lumen output, temperature breakdown, HID ballast- oil change intervals, synthetic vs. organic, etc. etc....... It just goes on and on.......!!! :haha:

Seriously, you guys are approaching the problem from the wrong direction. You should use the lowest light output at high beam, just enought so that the cagers can see you, and use night vision on your helmet. Night visibility in ALL directions and bambi would stand out like you wouldn't believe. :p

Yeah ,you'd see all kinds of warm blooded and hotter- than- ambient- background- temperature objects(tough on really hot nights), but you'd have to put some sort of IR filters on your lenses to illuminate the night. Otherwise, you would probably shut down most night vision optics with the HID flare! B)

Seriously, you guys are approaching the problem from the wrong direction. You should use the lowest light output at high beam, just enought so that the cagers can see you, and use night vision on your helmet. Night visibility in ALL directions and bambi would stand out like you wouldn't believe. :p
Limited peripheral vision with those devices.

Seriously, you guys are approaching the problem from the wrong direction.  You should use the lowest light output at high beam, just enought so that the cagers can see you, and use night vision on your helmet. Night visibility in ALL directions and bambi would stand out like you wouldn't believe. :p
Limited peripheral vision with those devices.
Too true. However, at night with the headlights on and moving there isn't much peripheral vision anyway.

I have seen the ir vision heads up display on a caddy and it is pretty impressive. That is pretty much what I was thinking about. Not that the suggestion is anything but just a thought. I know I wouldn't wear any of the gear for night vision while riding and don't know how well it would work with oncoming headlights if at all. Would be nice (though expensive) if there were a ir heads up over lay in a full face helmet though. That way you could still see ambiant temp debris on the road.

However, at night with the headlights on and moving there isn't much peripheral vision anyway.
Actually, with HID lighting, you'd be surprised just how *much* more you can see along the periphery, compared to halogen.

In fact, the first few times I went down "Deer Alley" (Oregon HWY 395 between Pendleton and Burns) with the HID installed, it was *completely* demoralizing to see how many MORE deer were standing off to the sides of the roads that I could never pick up with halogen lighting.

For many years now (since '97, to be exact), I'd make several funs down this road at night with my 55/60-watt halogens in the headlight and PIAA 910s burning 55-w H3's, and see a boatload of deer. It makes for some slow going.

But when I started using HID in the headlights and then later on with the PHIDs, it was ghastly to see the massive number of hoofed cockroaches feeding 15-20 yards off to the side of the road, in addition to the ones I normally saw with halogen feeding near the roadside. It is truly some scary shit.... :bigeyes:

I purchased a set of 4300K hi/low last Monday, received my kit on Wed. During the transaction, I over-paid Andy 495 instead of 295. I emailed him and he refunded me right away, I would say approx. 5 hours after the first transaction took place.

Got my kit installed, I am somewhat satisfy with the high beam. It did make a different than my halgoen high beam. Or maybe my housing is setup differently than others.

I am planning to get another set later this week. Thanks war by bringing this group buy to us. I did a search and couldn't find a better deal than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.