Holeshot Header Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys........ time to check in

Im working hard this week getting my FJR customers headers done, and on the way. Looking and talking on forums has to come when I can see some daylight or still have enough energy to post.

So I have a few minutes now before I start my 2nd shift at Cycle imports help building a 1216 Bandit motor tonight.

Ok heres the deal on my FJR Holeshot 4-2 header system

1. First came out with a set of nice slip-ons.

2. Worked over the last year on my new header design, yes i own a dyno and put many, many pulls on the FJR. But for now you will not see any charts here or on my web page when I get it up in a week or two.

WHY you ask ??????

Because my original bike had low miles when i developed my slip-ons. Marcs bike had much higher mileage and all the mapping work was done on a different dyno, not mine.It reads about 3 to 4 hp less than mine does. This is at my buddy Richards shop, Cycle Imports. He and I work tegether alot and he installs my customers parts here locally.

I can tell you there is about a 6 to 9 hp gain, with good mid range as well from stock, to all done with the full system and my map.

If I get a low mileage new bike in I will start from stock and have before and after dyno charts at that time. Those will go on my web page then.

3. Was not going after a big power gain with this pipe, did not want to kill the mid range , wanted to make a few hp if possible and make much less heat. Much less heat is what Im hoping for and im sure I have that handles pretty well.

Like mentioned my header is only about 1/8th ID larger.......on purpose.

I ceramic coat my headers inside and out, and that really holds the heat in. Marcs pre production header was not coated at all and he noticed less heat on his legs and feet !

They run real cool coated in and out !

Those stock cats have to radiate heat up to the rider

4. Tested a cross over and it did not help much, and all it would have done is drive the cost up to produce the pipe.

5.My header is lighter but to be honest i did not weight the stock unit to see exactly how much.

6. As far as EPA goes, hey my stuff is for closed course racing purposes only......HA!

7. I made this system so my current slip-on customer can up-grade at a later date.....nice option.

8. Have decided others can also buy the header onlyas well, and it will fit with any brand X slip-ons or even the original factory mufflers.

9. Have a custom map that I worked on over a month with Richard at Cycle Imports on Marcs bike, thanks dude for the use of your FJ

You will get the map free from me once you buy the header , but note this map is for the full system with my slip-ons. Other slip-ons and the header should be fine with this map as we well.

I may do another map someday with the stock mufflers and the header if i get a bike in here with that combo.

Im tired and have a few hours to go, so got to run now.

I will check back in but if you have any questions please call me at my shop.

If its ok to post prices on here let me know, and I will do so for all the options

Sorry for any typos !

Cheers Dale

:p

Post prices, as well as any other info. Will place my order as soon as I know whats what. We didn't get an alternator, but we got the header, so one wish stamp is pasted in my book! Long awaited and much talked about, finally a reality. Cool. :thumbup:

Quick question: Does the header include riv-nuts (or any other way to measure exhaust gas)??

Seems that this would be a huge bonus for those of us who would like to upgrade and fine-tune each cylinder.

-BD

Quick question: Does the header include riv-nuts (or any other way to measure exhaust gas)??
Seems that this would be a huge bonus for those of us who would like to upgrade and fine-tune each cylinder.

-BD
That will work if you have done the Barbarian and are using co settings to alter the mix. The PCIII has no individual cylinder settings available. So while it might be nice to know, not especially useful, so I doubt he included them. It could also complicate the coating process he used.

-BD
The PCIII has no individual cylinder settings available. So while it might be nice to know, not especially useful, so I doubt he included them.
My PCIII seems to do this:

[SIZE=14pt]Section 11 – [/SIZE]Cylinder Trim feature for later model PCIII & PCIIIr models

This new feature allows users to "trim" (adjust) individual cylinders richer or leaner.

If it is found that the cylinders are not running evenly (1 or more cylinders running richer or leaner than the rest) they can be brought into line by adjusting the “trim” settings.

Changes to the air-box or intake stacks (funnels) as well as exhaust pipe design can induce this unevenness. Mismatched injectors are also a factor in some cases.

On modified racing engines such as World Super Sport 600’s we have found as much as 4 horsepower by correcting each cylinder to the proper air/fuel ratio.

You can get more info on this feature from the Dynojet site. Clicky

Dale may be able to install the bungs on request. Askin' is free. An answer of yes may cost a bit more. ;)

Alan

Edit: The bottom of Section 11 does not list the FJR1300 as having this feature yet it is available (on screen) with my PCIII. I haven't tried this feature because I don't yet have rivnuts so I dunno if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom of Section 11 does not list the FJR1300 as having this feature yet it is available (on screen) with my PCIII. I haven't tried this feature because I don't yet have rivnuts so I dunno if it works.
That would certainly be nice if it did. Would be a nice vibration eliminator.

lets take a look at this new pipe no photos , no dyno specs, no price , nothing on the companys web site does not sound to good to me why hide such a great product with a very small percentage of bikes out there that can use them . or he has pleany of cash and just doing it for fun .

Wow. I was just about to eat a big 'ol crow sandwich. How could I forget about the PCIII? Duh??

Anyway, thanks for saving my ass, Alan!

And rad, I suppose I owe you one of these: :p

-BD

Hey zorkler, Dale was world champion motorcycle drag racer I think five times. He was the inivator of early performance mods and all of the sport followed suit. He did things with bikes that is unimaginable.This guy is the real deal. Read his post. Most dealers are slow upgrading their web sites. He has his reasons at this time why nothing is posted. This man is the developer, manufacture etc. His headers and cans are all hand done one at a time so the quality is impeckable. Do a little research on Dale and see why his products are the real thing and good to go.

Hello guys

The pipes I have sold are to guys that have in fact been waiting a year , so they know me and are very happy that it is now ready and are getting one.

I work on about 10 projects all the time and have not got the page up yet on my site, and in fact have not even started on it.

I will though and it will be up in 2 to 3 weeks. Marcs bike was not cherry enough for the photos so a couple nice guys on here got a little break from me, and they will be taking lots of photos that I can use on my web page.

Guys Im a small company, and make my parts all by hand in small numbers. My brother in-law Paul hand tigs every header together himself, and is a heck of a craftman.

I dont build 200 of these or any pipe i make at a time.

When i started this deal I told everyone it will be done when its done, im good for my word and it will all come together fine in time.

This is America and its a personal choice to buy a product for your bike. This is not a sale pitch ,and only a follow up so guys know that have been waiting, that the pipe is ready for them.

If you want one place your order , if you dont thats fine also , like i said this is America and choice is a wonderful thing.......HA!

I have 2 here left in stock as of right now and 13 have been sold

Here is the low down on the parts

The header coating comes with a 18 month anti rust warranty , but you must purchase the front fender extender , or have one on your bike now, and purchase my polish for me to honor this.

Part # FJR-HCP...Complete system with polished mufflers ...$ 989.00

Part # FJR-HCB...Complete system with satin black cannister shells $ 989.00

Part # FJR-HSO... Front header only to customer that bought Holeshot slip-ons from me..$ 399.00

Part # FJR-H... Front header only to run with brand X slip-ons or stock header..$439.00

Part # FZ1/FJR-EXG... Exhaust gaskets (4 needed ) .....$4.80 ea.

Part # MM-P... Magic Mix polish for header coating and stainless parts...$ 8.95

Part # P-UCS...Permatex Utra Copper high temp sealer....$6.50

Part # FJR-FEX...Pyramid front fender extender....$34.00

The box is oversize 1 UPS ground

Header only with small items $25.00

Full system with small items $30.00

I tried to be as fair as possible on the price and keep in mind, this full dual muffler system could be at $1200

Note!... I will be starting on 15 more headers by the end of this month and it will take 30 to 50 days to complete those, If you want one please call and place your order. Then I can hold it for you. You will not be charged until all the parts are ready to go.

Thank you all and ride safe

Dale

:p

-BD

Hi BD

Dale:

No I did not build the pipe with bugs to tune each cylinder, I think thats over kill to be honest with you, when you map it with the Power Commander.

I could though i guess but it would cost more to do so.

Thats kind of like a guy always wanting to stagger jet carbs on a street bike.

Its just that a street motor, not a race motor and tuning each cylinder the identical is not needed, is very very close for the application run just sniffing the exhaust at the muffler tips.

Cheers Dale :p

I built what was quite likely the worlds first cat converter test pipe, installing it on a new 75 Monte Carlo. Ain't never been green, global warming?....bring it on. We empty every can of R12 we can find into the atmosphere in the hopes we can be the first to start importing palms into Minnesota. :p

Well, talked with the dude hisself, header on the way. Man is passionate about his craft, I'll give him that. Ol' Frank ain't gonna know what hit 'im what with the Wilbers, the SuperBrace, and now this. Now all I have to do is find a way to pay for it all..... :D

I was one of the first on that year long list. True to his word Dale emailed w/ a heads up and then called me & the others on the list. Gave us a no BS run down on the deal.

I'm very suprised he still had 2-3 extra to sell. Congrats to those who got 'em.

Well he had 4 left when I ordered mine yesterday am. Now I need to order a Power Comander from Bike Effects!

Well I doubt I'll have time to install before WFO anyway. :angry:

Well I doubt I'll have time to install before WFO anyway. :angry:
WHAT??? That's five months away! We're only talkin' 3-4 hours worth of work. Don't sell yourself short Bro...you can do it.

Well I doubt I'll have time to install before WFO anyway.  :angry:
WHAT??? That's five months away! We're only talkin' 3-4 hours worth of work. Don't sell yourself short Bro...you can do it.
Well with work and everything else I have going on lately I've had about an hour a week to work on my FJR, so 3-4 hours would be 3-4 weeks! :(

I'm trying to finish putting it back together after installing HID headlights, PHID lights, Fog lights and switches and relays, Bulkhead and fuel cell, Cruise Control and moving a couple things, I've want to install Powerlet Jacks and sliders while i'm putting it back together and I want to get the Wilbers installed too.

I need to get it all done and totally debugged before the Utah 1088 in June.