How many draft behind a big truck?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were riding one of them superslabs in the Midwest, tryin to get out of corn country to some hilly parts. It was late afternoon, temp was maybe 85F, traffic was moving pretty good but was also pretty solid, no way to make headway, just had to lean back & accept the traffic flow until the left lane thinned out. My bimmer riding buddy was in front, I was 4-5 car lengths back on the opposite side of the lane (outside).

I was sort of daydreaming...

People were driving politely, not being too aggressive.

We were passing a row of 5-6 tractor trailers, some with the big box & some flatbeds with machinery strapped to the bed.

As I said, I was sort of daydreaming...

And then...

[SIZE=36pt] BLAM ![/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Thwappa Thwappa Thwappa Thwaplunk Thwaplunk Thwaplunk... [/SIZE]

I was right next to a flatbed tractor trailer that had blown a tire, and as I watched it slowly disintegrate, throwing huge tire chunks into the truck following it, boy oh boy was I glad I wasn't in back of that truck ! Ever since then I give them big boys a lot of respect...

Twodogs.

First off, thats a nice picture of you in your avatar. A better sweater, contacts, and less make-up, you'd be a real peach.

Second, this is no baiting matter.

Please act accordingly.

GZ

I can't claim that I have never drafted a truck... I do generally avoid em though and give them as much room as I can (usually behind me if I can do it).

I've been hit by a retread in the car and I can't see surviving that on the bike. Some things you just gotta see to believe.

well everyone covered that subjectvery well and as everyone said stay away. I would like to add

that when it rains metal on a truck like pipe is nothing more than a missle and slippery than snot on a door knob.

as already said stay away or everyone will be looking like this :( :( :(

I always want to look like this :D :lol: :D

Uhh, he didn't honk to say "way to go compadre of the open road".
He was telling you to ****-off.

If he was appreciative of something you did you'd get a flash of the lights when you passed.

Even with him knowing you're there, he was fretting the whole time shredding a tire or having to break suddenly and have you perform a colonoscopy on the truck. A surgical procedure where you are a disposable instrument.

At 20' you are going to have an incredibly hard time maintaining a 2-second count for high speed "trailing" of another vehicle. 20' gives you zero opportunity to brake or swerve. And piling into pvc pipes? Holy, er, I mean HOLEY shit. There'd be nothing left of you.

You think I'm kidding? Get a CB and monitor channel 19 when you start drafting a truck. Not only will the truck who's ass your monitoring the humidity of his crack be pissed, but he/she will be on the horn to "Watch out for a drafting jack-ass". Then you'll hear the other drivers telling him to jam on his brakes and what not. When you pass and approach these other drivers THEY will give you shit. This kind of forward information can travel the continent in less then 1/2 hour. No joke.

Some truckers are muderous SOB's.

You think I'm kidding I'm sure. Too bad I'm not.

Good luck with your drafting. :(

GZ
George,

He didn't seem to mind the lane changes I afforded him, I flashed for you are clear, He flashed for thanks.

As far as the following to close for the law, did I mention we were both speeding?

I don't guess I described my placement well enough. I was not directly behind the truck, but slightly off to the side. As I said, clear view of the mirrors. This was prob a one time shot with the pipe creating a void pocket. To all the what-if-ers, we all know riding is a risk, period. Who would have wagered that Susan would cut her throat on barbed wire ( what's that a 1 in ten kazillion shot?), or evil medic would blow an ankle on a speed bump? I'll bet everone in Vegas would bet a "drafter" would get an injury way before either of those two incidents.

Hornets nest stirred, I'm out

Fencer,It doesn't sound to me like you draft 18 wheelers on a regular basis.

We are in harms way enough with all the idiots out there trying to take us out.

Just doesn't make good sense to hang out behind those big boys.

Is that the reason you got rid of your big calsci barn door windscreen?

Seriously I'm not givin you shit .To each his own on this subject.

The only thing I want a semi to see of me are the afterburners.

Fencer,It doesn't sound to me like you draft 18 wheelers on a regular basis.We are in harms way enough with all the idiots out there trying to take us out.

Everyone else is raving about it. for me, with my set up, it did not work. It created MORE buffeting than stock and booming in the helmet. enough that I found this sweet spot and wanted to stay in it. It may be that I have the N-line shelf and the tang runs directly behind the cut-out of the shield and the tang screws up the flow that is supposed to come through. From all the positive reviews of the shield, My money is on the N/line messing with the flow. This was a 260 mile trip and it was giving me a headache. I only made 2 rides with the shield and my head hurt both times. Time to go. And the guy that bought it is going OHHH great!! :D . I hope he doesn't have an N'line :eek:

Twodogs.
First off, thats a nice picture of you in your avatar. A better sweater, contacts, and less make-up, you'd be a real peach.
Thanks big boy. Although not discernable from your avatar, I’m sure that there’s some way you could be attractive too.

Second, this is no baiting matter.
Please act accordingly.

GZ
Your crystal ball appears to be much clearer than mine. And, thank you for your kind suggestion. Hey, I’ve got an idea …

Fencer,It doesn't sound to me like you draft 18 wheelers on a regular basis.We are in harms way enough with all the idiots out there trying to take us out.

Everyone else is raving about it. for me, with my set up, it did not work. It created MORE buffeting than stock and booming in the helmet. enough that I found this sweet spot and wanted to stay in it. It may be that I have the N-line shelf and the tang runs directly behind the cut-out of the shield and the tang screws up the flow that is supposed to come through. From all the positive reviews of the shield, My money is on the N/line messing with the flow. This was a 260 mile trip and it was giving me a headache. I only made 2 rides with the shield and my head hurt both times. Time to go. And the guy that bought it is going OHHH great!! :D . I hope he doesn't have an N'line :eek:
+1 on the Cal Sci not being worth a damn at least not for me... I bought one here from a member. It didn't work for him either I guess.

I have pretty much the same symptoms, too much buffeting to be handy. To much headache comes from using this thing.

I suppose I'm an inch too tall for it or something.

If I'd have been on a long azz ride with it and found a nice quiet pocket behind something large, I might be tempted to hang there for a while too to get some relief. Even though I know it to be a very bad idea.

(Cal Sci sheild for sale soon)

Caught a retread in the windshield of my car once. Destroyed my windshield wipers and gouged my windshield. Sounded like a bomb went off.

The bait dances on the water, sparkling in the wake. Suddenly, a swirl, a bill, the release snaps, the drag sings and it's FISH ON!!!!! Multiple hookups!!!!
Um.... What? Please try to stay on point or we'll have to excuse you from the thread. :glare:

Or maybe you want one of these other threads: Stream of Consciousness, Dada for Beginners, or maybe I Caught a Whopper Today. :lol:

Jb

After seeing the damage to my friend's Jeep Commander (missing fender, air dam ripped off and brush guard bent) from a semi losing a tire cap I will definately NOT draft them. Also don't like being beside one or between two.

Not just tire caps can fly out either. Saw a trucker once pull a dead groundhog from between the rear duals. I can imagine that a flying groundhog carcas could do some damage also.

HELL NO!!! Seen too many gators in my life time... However, one note on 18 wheelers.... If I ever see one trying to make a lane change in traffic and such... I see his blinker, you can bet I will be the first person let make sure slow down and give him a headlight flash and wave him into the lane... I respect those guys who gotta make a living out there... Hopefully the respect and look out for us more too...

I was next to an empty flatbed on the 710 southbound through LA about 14 years ago -

A loose come-along fell off of the trailer - skittered under my F150, wiped out my right rear tire, and seriously effed up the right side panel on the bed - About 1K in damage. (In 1992 dollars)

Just because the driver didn't check his gear before moving.

And I was just next to him. Had I been on a bike?

Give them clearance. Distance equals safety.

Guess the hook really does hurt when it's embedded....one man's dream....another man's nightmare....go figure