How many draft behind a big truck?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on everything that has already been said. The only thing I would add is that at freeway speeds small objects have enormous energy. One night coming home from work on my FJR I was doing about 70 mph and at the last second saw a small piece of gator, maybe 6 or 7 inches long. I figure no big deal I'll just ride over it. So I did.

My big toe was torn to shreds, the bone shattered (strangely the boot was completely unscathed), the shifter mangled, the fairing gouged, the side stand had a nice gash in it (the solid steel part), and the center stand was dented.

I hit it because I was being stupid and not looking for road debris (I look for road debris now); if you're behind a truck (or any vehicle really) you can't see road debris if you are too close.

Oh, yes, number 3 on my "Things I hate about other drivers" list. People that drive with their high beams on (Isn't it a strange coincidence, they are the ones that also have the really heavily tinted rear windows.). I work at night and get a real headache from having to look at people's obnoxious high beams and their poorly adjusted driving lights. Why do I look, well because one is supposed to check his mirrors every 5-10 seconds when driving defensively using the "Smith System".
LC
That's on my pet peeve list too. On my four-wheel days, I drive to and from work in the dark, in a low slung convertible. A badly adjusted headlight is like a high beam, and obscures any visibility through the plastic back window. And don't get me started about the morons with the super-cool fog lights....... Perhaps they are really handicapped people, with bad cataracts, and they think that every day is foggy enough to need two million watts of extra illumination.

Jill

Fewer and fewer and fewer! The same sweet spot you mention turns you into a grease spot when the driver of the truck has to slow for any reason. If you want to risk your life to save $10 worth of gas, follow a SUV with windows you can see through so you have a chance to react to what the driver ahead of you sees. The back end of a semi is solid, no bumper. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.