How many significant others ride their own bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susie had never ridden on a motorcycle before we met.

About a year ago, she took a Rider's Edge class with a fellow female friend who wanted to learn to ride. Unfortunately, Susie had a little get-off that broke her big toe in 4 places and removed a hunk of skin off her knee that was about 4 inches in diameter. That little get-off, combined with a touch of arthritis in her left hand that makes using the clutch difficult for her, pretty much squelched the idea of her riding solo.

So we have a Buell Blast in the garage that's titled in her name but I'm the one who has ridden it.

We'll probably have that for sale soon. She's talked about getting a scooter and going to scooter school.

In the mean time, she loves to ride pillion with me and take lots of pictures, which is why I call her the Pillion Paparazzi.

My wife how ride an '07 Vstar 1300. Between our current bikes and previous Yamahas, we have 70,000 riding together in past 7 years, 16,000 this past year.

Only downside, it costs 2x with all the farkling.... The positive - we've got a riding partner who's ready to go for a ride at the drop of the hat....

I'll add my 2c. My wife rode on the back a couple of times before she noted other ladies with their own bikes, then it was off to the dealer for an EX 500. 6 months later one of the other ladies let her ride an F4i, then the EX was doo doo and it was off to cycle trader for a F4i, which she rode for a couple of years, including a trip from CA to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. I then made a mistake of letting her ride my FZ1. Suddenly the F4i was a POS and it was back to cycle trader for her current bike, an '02 FZ1, which she's riden to Texas, all over the SW, up to Canada (crashed on the way home, got the bike fixed, her broken arm healed) and next week we're heading to SLC for the FIM SBK races at Miller. She's put about 30,000 miles on the FZ1 and can't think of another bike she wants (for now at least).

I love having a partner that shares my passion for motorcycles! Of course it costs twice as much, but who cares!

I'll add my 2c. My wife rode on the back a couple of times before she noted other ladies with their own bikes, then it was off to the dealer for an EX 500. 6 months later one of the other ladies let her ride an F4i, then the EX was doo doo and it was off to cycle trader for a F4i, which she rode for a couple of years, including a trip from CA to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. I then made a mistake of letting her ride my FZ1. Suddenly the F4i was a POS and it was back to cycle trader for her current bike, an '02 FZ1, which she's riden to Texas, all over the SW, up to Canada (crashed on the way home, got the bike fixed, her broken arm healed) and next week we're heading to SLC for the FIM SBK races at Miller. She's put about 30,000 miles on the FZ1 and can't think of another bike she wants (for now at least).
I love having a partner that shares my passion for motorcycles! Of course it costs twice as much, but who cares!

My SO rides his own FZ1. He doesn't ride near as much as I do but that's okay. My 08 FJR is the best bike I've ever owned and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Expect for a newer FJR of course!!

Penny

mine has her own 98 shadow.shes wanting a fjr after i let her ride mine the other day.

P1000375.jpg

Does your significant other ride?
My (soon to be ex) wife rides a BMW F800ST. She's the one who got me into riding and bought me my FJR.
Now THAT'S a woman I can appreciate....buys you a motorcycle....then leaves!

Send her my way!!! [SIZE=8pt](Don't tell Missus Howie I said that, okay?)[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife just rides pillion, but she has gotten real good at it. We have taken motorcycle tours in the Alps, Norway, and New Zealand and she loved those trips. I only occasionally get sporty when she is on the back, but she has never complained when I have fun like that. I think she trusts me because she has fallen asleep on the back on the more sedate portions of the trips.

I have suggested that she take a MSF course, but she says she wants to be able to sightsee on trips. She also suspects another motive when I say if she had a license we could get her a GSXR750.

Susie had never ridden on a motorcycle before we met.
About a year ago, she took a Rider's Edge class with a fellow female friend who wanted to learn to ride. Unfortunately, Susie had a little get-off that broke her big toe in 4 places and removed a hunk of skin off her knee that was about 4 inches in diameter. That little get-off, combined with a touch of arthritis in her left hand that makes using the clutch difficult for her, pretty much squelched the idea of her riding solo.

So we have a Buell Blast in the garage that's titled in her name but I'm the one who has ridden it.

We'll probably have that for sale soon. She's talked about getting a scooter and going to scooter school.

In the mean time, she loves to ride pillion with me and take lots of pictures, which is why I call her the Pillion Paparazzi.
AIW, being 100% Italian (Sicilian) and with her maiden name Caluda, quickly became my Scooter Caluda...Scoot for short.

stuck till this day

Wife rides a Vulcan 500 but not as often as she should. I put more miles on the little bike than she does. Not a bad bike if you keep the RPM's up but without more saddle time her skills are not what they should be, so she doesn't keep the RPM's up and she is a little pokey when we go out together. She'll ride pillion if I put the topbox/backrest on. I had a 2003 Goldwing before the FJR and she rode all the time. She really doesn't like the FJR so I ususally fly solo.

My wife rides her own bike. I just have to do any and all wrenching on it. She has a 83 Yamaha Seca 750 fully dressed. We bought it a little over 2 years ago for her to learn on. Now she has done a 5 day 900 mile road trip about a year ago for our honeymoon and she intends on ridig on a Girly ride with the ladies of Pashnit this summer. I just got her bike running for this spring a couple days ago (bad starter) and she rode to work the past two days.

Now if only the parts for my bike would get here, I could ride my bike! Maybe next week (I hope!)