I Asked Corbin About the Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta go with Groo on this. I could care less what it costs someone to make something. Not my problem. It's simply a matter of the supply and demand curve meeting at a point on the scale where it represents a fair return on investment.

Gotta go with Groo on this. I could care less what it costs someone to make something. Not my problem. It's simply a matter of the supply and demand curve meeting at a point on the scale where it represents a fair return on investment.
If you don't want one, you are right, it isn't your problem. If you want one, then you have to pay the price.

I am sure if more riders express an interest or someone else comes out with something similar in quality at a much lower price, Corbin will be forced to do likewise. Until then, they are the only game in town!

Best Regards,

Shane

As many have stated the price appears high. First, this is more of a custom piece. Second, material is always rising, including diesel fuel for UPS, which delivers the stuff. I have chemicals that are over $100 @ gallon. Right now the biggest killer is insurance to cover your butt when selling to JD public. Having said that, for its small size, perhaps $499 would be more in line, but a GB with Corbin is not going to happen.

I’ve been reading and watching this Smuggler thing since I was approached a year ago, about building something along these lines. Even with good molds there’s a lot of cleaning and finishing to make a decent finished product. The numbers and the demand just don’t add up. Like FJRandy said ‘would you pay me for my time’? I don’t think so either, but we all have to eat and pay our bills.

The Smuggler is a nice piece from what I seen, but looks a little small for my needs. My idea for a box follows more alone the lines of the one on the SV that FJRandy made. Everyone has different needs for sure and to me that plastic rack is worthless.

It's a 2 way street, not a one way dead end. This is why I'll not bother to make them, for most people don't seem to understand the meaning of "fair return". Roll-up your sleeves and try it some time.

I receieved my smuggler a couple of days ago and must say that it is totally worth the price. The workmanship and materials used is superior.

I receieved my smuggler a couple of days ago and must say that it is totally worth the price. The workmanship and materials used is superior.
Congrats :yahoo: ! According to the UPS tracking # I got today, I should have mine on Tuesday!

Best Regards,

Shane

Well, I may not "care", but I can definitely understand how much it costs someone and the time/effort it takes to make. I just figured a company like Corbin would automate the process so it wasn't so labor intensive. That's obviously where their costs are being driven up... Now if someone else can build a similar mousetrap that is less labor intensive, and sell it while still making a decent profit for less, maybe Corbin will have to respond. Don't know, but that's whats great about the marketplace. If someone sees a need that isn't being filled, they can give it a shot.

Could you give more details? How easy is installation? Useful volume? Concerns/problems? How easy to remove if you want a pillion? Any impressions would be welcome......

You guys gotta remember that the Smuggler for the FJR is a custom piece styled and molded to fit just the FJR. While there are a lot of FJR's on this forum out in the real world they are still pretty few and far between in the USA so Corbin's market for that part number Smuggler is relatively small. That isn't the sort of product that lends itself to "automation" being low volume and specialized like it is.

I wasn't wild about the price, either, and I'm not necessarily defending Corbin but looking at the alternative of doing without or making one myself the price seemed a little more reasonable. Talking to Gary McCoy also made it a little more reasonable...enough so that I ordered mine and I'm happy with it.

As far as mounting the Smuggler so that it is easily removable it is covered here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...636&hl=smuggler

I did mine this same basic way and it goes on and comes off as easily as the OEM rear seat does. It fits perfect next to the front seat: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8941

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's Corbin's prerogative to make them however he wants and charge what he wants. Just don't expect us to buy into the idea that there is nothing that he can do and that he would prefer to mass produce them so that everyone could buy one.

Maybe it's a "Brother-In-Law Clause" issue. He has a brother-in-law that is a fiberglass guy and this is his living. More power to ya!

I just got home from work for lunch and found the smuggler waiting for me here 2-3 weeks earlier than expected! :yahoo:

I'm very impressed with the finish work based on my viewing so far.

I'll start a new thread later this afternoon/evening after work with more impressions and pictures.

Well let's see.. $700 each, his sweat shop laborers are probably making $10 an hour.... 70 hours of hand fab... yeah thats it ! :rolleyes:

Looks like FSD ( the hugger group buy ) is thinking about fabing some so there may be some competition soon.

As many have stated the price appears high. First, this is more of a custom piece. Second, material is always rising, including diesel fuel for UPS, which delivers the stuff. I have chemicals that are over $100 @ gallon. Right now the biggest killer is insurance to cover your butt when selling to JD public. Having said that, for its small size, perhaps $499 would be more in line, but a GB with Corbin is not going to happen.
I’ve been reading and watching this Smuggler thing since I was approached a year ago, about building something along these lines. Even with good molds there’s a lot of cleaning and finishing to make a decent finished product. The numbers and the demand just don’t add up. Like FJRandy said ‘would you pay me for my time’? I don’t think so either, but we all have to eat and pay our bills.

The Smuggler is a nice piece from what I seen, but looks a little small for my needs. My idea for a box follows more alone the lines of the one on the SV that FJRandy made. Everyone has different needs for sure and to me that plastic rack is worthless.

It's a 2 way street, not a one way dead end. This is why I'll not bother to make them, for most people don't seem to understand the meaning of "fair return". Roll-up your sleeves and try it some time.
Reading your last line, I really don't think you understood my point. My point is that the consumer really does not have to give a flying rats ass whether or not a fair return can be achieved or not. Nor do I need to "roll-up" my sleeves and try it. The point is that no matter how hard you have worked to make some world beating product, if nobody is willing on paying what you want to sell it for, it isn't going to sell. Why are you trying to act like the customer is the bad guy in that scenario?

PlaynGuitar,

Thanks for directly asking a quesion to Corbin. And stepping up to the new product. Too often, everyone bitches and moans, and then moves on to the next post. I'm impressed that Corbin shared the steps they are taking to look at reducing costs. They don't have the option of outsourcing (immigration discussion notwithstanding) given their "made in the USA" strategy, so they're looking into some cost options. Any process engineers in the forum looking for a job should contact them.

I have a Corbin seat on my Warrior and have a rider seat on order for the 06 FJR. The workmanship and perrformance I've seen so far justifies the price. The other, admitedly more custom, seat vendors are even more expensive so until someone comes along to put price and feature/function pressure on Corbin, they will go on being as successful as they've been so far.

I'm expecting delivery of my Corbin saddles and smuggler. I had the Dual Canyon saddle with back rest on my 2005 FJR. Corbin does give you superior quality and workmanship. Neither comes cheaply. High quality skilled labor isn't cheap also. In this case I think you get what you pay for. BTW if you purchase from Corbin during a motorcycle event, Corbin gives a 10% discount.

Like most things in life.... "You have to pay the cost to be the boss."

High quality skilled labor isn't cheap also
I've been to the Corbin factory in Hollister and I don't think their labor costs are as high as they'd like you to believe. Let's just say an INS raid would probably stop production.....

Like most things in life.... "You have to pay the cost to be the boss."
Can I get a discount if I'm happy with mid-level management? :huh:

Your more likely to get a discount if your UN-happy with mid-level management. It's the squeaky door tht gets the oil. You just have to raise hell with the management and express your UN-happiness. Usually a discount will shut you up. :)

I just received my canyon close a couple of weeks ago. I really love it, and I went with it because it was less than going to Rich's or Russell for a custom. That being said, the seat arrived with packing list and credit card receit. About 75 dollars more than the agreed upon price. Checked the web site and there is a notice about price increases. Called them and they agreed that I was over charged during the price increases. But I havent seen the credit in my card.

:blink: Just was wondering if all of you folks that have purchased a smuggler from Corbin for a 06' FJR (Cobalt Blue) would be able to say without reservation that the color is a spot on match to the blue on the rest of the motorcycle.

I know you all have stated that it is very well finished and fits perfectly.

How do they get the lock to work with the ignition, bag key that is specific to each motorcycle?

The price is somewhat breathtaking, but considering the low number of units they will probably sell and the number of hours it takes to manufacture and finish it, it's not as exhorbitant as what Boeing charges us for a compartment door on our 737's, 757's, 767's, and 777's.

Thanks for your time and consideration!!!

Scott