I can see!....behind me!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago from boats.net for $116 delivered. I found the place by reading recomendations from others that had bought them.

consider the added safety IMHO of blind spot mirrors

those adjustable round stick on's at auto parts stores work fine

I use these:

3715490680_006e9d46eb.jpg

I see many references to the 2005 model year for these mirrors but they are the same item from 2001 through 2005, correct? Any reason a set from 2001 wouldn't work as well?

Anyone recall Jason Beaver? It's his 04 I purchased in 2010, he hooked me up WELL! I had a spare set of FZ1 mirrors that he gave me. Found out a few months after owning mine that letting FI bikes warm up a bit is a great way to avoid a no-speed fall, so far only time I've dropped this one. I popped the FZ1's on, as I had scratched one, I'll never go back, gives the bike a sorta big eared look from the front, but I'm always willing to sacrifice looks for safety.

I see many references to the 2005 model year for these mirrors but they are the same item from 2001 through 2005, correct? Any reason a set from 2001 wouldn't work as well?
And the answer is: Yes. 2001 s A-OK. Installed an excellent condition used set I recently acquired. Went on easily. The trick of turning the exterior stock rubber gasket/spacer was very helpful. They look much better than I expected them to. Not as 'spindly' in person I guess. I look forward to real-world testing them tomorrow.

I look forward to real-world testing them tomorrow.
And so I did. And they are fu*king great! What a huge difference. I thought "Hey, maybe they'll be a little better" Nope, night and day. They are actually 100% usable now. Instant improvement and the way they should have been from new. I am not a narrow guy and I have a perfect view to the rear now.

And, FWIW, I think they look great too.

Thanks to those that keep beating this drum. Bang on!

I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on the change for two reasons:

1. I park in an enclosed patio space entered through a sliding glass door. The stock mirrors fit, easily, but the FZ1 mirrors spread is just about exactly the same as the door width. I'd need to fold at least one of the mirrors every time I parked the bike. Does anyone have any experience with the durability of the mechanism under such use? I've talked to a few folks who have the mirrors, but none routinely fold them back. I'd like to hear from someone who knows whether or not they hold up.

2. I ride a lot at night. Days are pretty short up here in the winter, so that my daily commute is in the dark for several months a year. I like that I can glance to one side or the other without headlight glare being reflected into my eyes. I would likely adjust my mirrors such that I'd need to move my head slightly to look to the rear, so that a simple cast of my eyes to the side wouldn't get such glare. I wonder whether that would defeat the purpose/benefit of the FZ1 mirrors. Washington State's DOT built long stretches of its freeways with wide medians with grade breaks or forests between opposing traffic. When the only lights ahead are taillights, glare from headlights reflected in mirrors is more annoying. I'd like to hear from someone with an opinion on nighttime glare from the FZ1 mirrors.

Thanks!

I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on the change for two reasons:

1.I'd like to hear from someone who knows whether or not they hold up.

2. I would likely adjust my mirrors such that I'd need to move my head slightly to look to the rear, so that a simple cast of my eyes to the side wouldn't get such glare.
1. I never fold mine, so can't speak to their durability

2. I have my FZ1 mirrors adjusted so that I see as much as possible of the adjoining traffic lanes. I commute in traffic and want to see the other lanes for quick lane changes. The trade off is that I have to tip my head to the side a little to see what's behind me, but that does eliminate blinding headlights bothering me.

In any case, it's nice to not have to suck my elbows in to see behind like I had to with the stock mirrors. And when the wife was onboard, even sucking elbows in didn't help because then all I'd see would be her legs.

The mirrors have to be the most annoying thing on my FJR....I will definately consider these, but a question for anyone that lane splits, how wide are these? I like lane splitting with the stock mirrors, nice and easy but I dont want to put on mirrors that will make the bike feel like an elephant...I currently have the convex spot mirrors and they are okay but just a band aid for a bad design.

The mirrors make a difference on lane splitting. They are at the same height as many passenger car and SUV mirrors, and the mirrors are slightly wider than just the bags. They are easy to fold back if things get tight. On the freeway, no problem, but they can sometimes be wide on city streets filtering to lights.

Thanks to a stop on a sloping shoulder, my beloved FJR was on the way down long before my foot found the pavement. OH WELL!! And aside from some scratches to the plastic, the main casualty was the left mirror which bent the support and cracked at the base of the mirror. It would have been nice if the mirror would have folded out of the way instead of breaking and bending. Can anyone tell me if the FZ1 mirrors are likely to survive a drop better than OEM? Either way, I will probably try the FZ1 just to get a better view of whatever is going on behind me.

More of a cool kid thingy if'n ya ask me. But then again I learned to ride with a single mirror..

Yeah way back before the safety Nazi's ruined some of you guys. Back when hand signals were known and practiced. Before clutch and sidestand safety switches.

Yeah back when you used to have to actually think before movin'.

Save yer money an use what them things in yer head were designed to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh!! I know! I know!

But just because there's never been a green FJR......

Last edited by a moderator: