I'm sick of Facebook. I'm deleting my account!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on FB too much, post too much political shit, receive way too much political shit. It has helped me recover from knee surgery, Can't wait to start riding again when I don't have time for Face Book.

Never been on FB or any other social media. Never felt the need, even for keeping up with family or "long lost" friends. If I haven't spoken to them (or them to me) in 20 or 30 yrs there's probably a reason and I'd rather not rediscover it. I used to use a profound forum signature that sums it up nicely: "I'm passionate about my apathy."
Being on this forum, and posting your opinion here? ....this is "social media" too...in case you didn't know..... ;)

You'd be amazed at the reaction you get from telling friends on Facebook to "let me know when you're done posting political crap, so I can follow you again."

DAMHIK.
not_i.gif
They want you to read their shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I joined FB several years back to stay in touch with a group of coworkers when we were all getting laid off. It let's me catch up with old friends and family that live too far away to see on a regular basis. I'm only friends with folks I know in person. I try to limit my time there and just what I share.
This is the best way to be exposed there, family and friends only. I only go there when prompted by an event.

I have friends who friggin' LIVE there ! They suck up all the fake stuff and live life according to what they read there....they have no concept of reality or real world events.

No Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or any of that stuff. Never used it. It doesn't interest me to tell the world everything about me. I don't need it.

I have a hard time with social media. I am just not one of those people with "a keep in touch" gene. I just don't pick up the phone and check on people. If you are my friend you can be pretty certain you are not going to get a call one day with me saying. "Hey, How is it going? How is life treating you? etc. etc."

If I call it's going to be "Hey, you want to go riding."

We can catch up on each others lives when we stop to eat lunch.

I really should make more effort to keep in touch with certain family and friends. But I don't ............

I have a hard time with social media. I am just not one of those people with "a keep in touch" gene. I just don't pick up the phone and check on people. If you are my friend you can be pretty certain you are not going to get a call one day with me saying. "Hey, How is it going? How is life treating you? etc. etc."
If I call it's going to be "Hey, you want to go riding."

We can catch up on each others lives when we stop to eat lunch.

I really should make more effort to keep in touch with certain family and friends. But I don't ............
Yep. I think I have the same genetic defect.

I opened a facebook account many years ago when my kids were away to college, as a means of keeping in touch with them. After a few years my account got hacked somehow and the spoofer was sending all of my "facebook friends", which was primarily just my family, messages spamming Starbucks Coffee. My family knew it was a hack because I hate Starbucks Coffee. I closed the account.

Years later I reopened it and limited my "friends" to ONLY my immediate family, but I don't go on the thing enough to be useful. I think its time to delete it again. Thanks for the reminder. (edit - Just deleted it. It was easy)

It's not just Facebook that is the problem, they just happen to be the biggest purveyor. All Social Media outlets are suspect, and most of the mainstream media can't be trusted either. News "reporters" write stories these days about what so-and-so tweeted. How the hell is that news? Some (if not all) news networks now feel it is their job to try and influence the way people think, and the way they act. Reporting unbiased and unfiltered news events is a thing of the past. Every article is an editorial.

It is hard to believe how much disinformation is being spread around from all directions, and which is directly influencing people's lives. I'm getting sick of it all, and like Dave said, may just unplug from all media sources. If you can't believe any of what you are being fed, what's the point of ingesting it? You aren't any more enlightened when the media outlets can't be trusted. You're just more confused.

I just read that Orwell's "1984" is #1 on the Amazon bestseller's list. It isn't hard to guess why.

We have a little place in the woods we go to many weekends. It has not TV or Internet. I get no phone service there at all.

I am happy with that.

No matter the source, now more than ever every piece of information needs to elicit the response, "Is that true?"

..... especially if it is in a Yamaha service manual.
rolleyes.gif

4791126562_13d0372ea5_z.jpg

I stay at this place almost every time I am out in Utah....nothing works here...no phone, no TV, no radio...absolutely love it...

If you're wondering...Kiva Koffeehouse...

It's not just Facebook that is the problem, they just happen to be the biggest purveyor. All Social Media outlets are suspect, and most of the mainstream media can't be trusted either. News "reporters" write stories these days about what so-and-so tweeted. How the hell is that news? Some (if not all) news networks now feel it is their job to try and influence the way people think, and the way they act. Reporting unbiased and unfiltered news events is a thing of the past. Every article is an editorial.
It is hard to believe how much disinformation is being spread around from all directions, and which is directly influencing people's lives. I'm getting sick of it all, and like Dave said, may just unplug from all media sources. If you can't believe any of what you are being fed, what's the point of ingesting it? You aren't any more enlightened when the media outlets can't be trusted. You're just more confused.
This came up in a conversation not too long ago. Newspapers, magazines, podcasts, on-line sources. I would LOVE to find even just one source I could trust to deliver a straight-forward, black & white, just the facts ma'am, daily news briefing that I could scan each day. If I became interested in more in-depth analysis of something then I can dig in and absorb varying viewpoints when I so choose. I have to imagine that I can't be the only one who'd be interested in something like that.

(Can one go off-topic in an Off-topic Discussion??
blink.png
)

Fred, you left out one caveat of course.

Social media sight: FJRforum
wink.png

Dave

Edit: When I was on my cruise I did watch some of the inauguration since it is part of history. Or is now at least. I flipped between two different news outlets and after a while I couldn't figure out which planet I was on. This just solidified my new years resolution once again.

I had an account for a year or so. Then one day I couldn't login anymore, the only way to get my access back was if I provided my phone number. This was the last day of my Facebook account, and I don't miss it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.