(In)Tech day IV Rescheduled May 20, 21 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May will be perfect. (I hope!). I asked the guys if I can help or just watch and they said I couldn't. It's an insurance liability thing. Bummer. I was looking forward for that ride too. Had to turn it in. The stem bearings were needing replacement for a long time. See you in September. :)

I'm in. I would like to do a valve check and fork service/overhaul. I've never been to a tech day and not sure what's required. What's your suggestion regarding the needed parts for these particular services? I figure fork oil, seals etc should be purchased prior to showing up but not sure about the valves...

I'm in. I would like to do a valve check and fork service/overhaul. I've never been to a tech day and not sure what's required. What's your suggestion regarding the needed parts for these particular services? I figure fork oil, seals etc should be purchased prior to showing up but not sure about the valves...
You will need to buy all the parts and fluid and bring them with you. You will need coolant pipe o-rings, valve cover gasket and oil pump cover gasket. Do you have the blue dot CCT? If not get one of those. For the forks you need oil, upper and lower slides(Only 2 on the genl) and oil seals they come as a kit. Also bring some cheap transmission fluid. It is good for flushing.

I have a shim kit, so if you need to adjust any valves I will provide it. You just have to replace it afterwards. Keep in mind that the bike needs to be completely cold to perform the check. You should plan on arriving early or dropping the bike off the night before.

Still planning on showing up...for shits and grins. Perhaps a TBS will be in order or something. :D

RTV is also helpful for valve checks to hold the gasket, but Bob may have some on hand.

We've done a bunch of valve checks and haven't replaced a valve cover gasket yet. They seem to stay in good shape, just need a little (RTV) help staying in place till you get it back on. But, perhaps PM extrememarine, he may have an extra one if you want it.

I'll be there. I already have a valve gasket. I'm doing my valves too though. If we can do one without screwing the gasket, we should be good.

We've done a bunch of valve checks and haven't replaced a valve cover gasket yet. They seem to stay in good shape, just need a little (RTV) help staying in place till you get it back on. But, perhaps PM extrememarine, he may have an extra one if you want it.
While that is the norm it is with Murphy's certainty that you will eff yours up if you don't have a new one on hand. It is a statistical absolute.

I drove my minivan to a meet onetime.

Of course all the trash talk stopped when

everyone piled in to go to dinner.

( It was snowing at the time. )

Don't hold a spot for me...But I'll see you all in SEO, the following weekend.
You could still drive the sports car down!
Going to tech day in Owosso, the Saturday before, and SEO the weekend after your tech day. So I don't think I will be able to make it.
Well, excuse me!
nono.gif

I drove my minivan to a meet onetime.Of course all the trash talk stopped when

everyone piled in to go to dinner.

( It was snowing at the time. )
Mike brought a 2-seater. He wasn't going to be a taxi. I did send him on a parts run, though.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RaYzerman19" data-cid="1296495" data-time="1458430962"><p>

So, who wants to do a room share, Super 8 Fredericksburg, Friday or Saturday nite or both?</p></blockquote>

I may be in for that. I tried to pm you but it didn't go through for some reason.

RzrBak, how did you sneak in the hood??
I didn't really "sneak" in...been here since 2000 but was off the FJR radar 'cause I didn't have a bike until a couple years ago. Thought Intech was the only other FJR owner in close proximity to me...maybe we can meet up sometime.