Insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geico lowered my rate! Just got the new policy Saturday. Full coverage, roadside assist, etc, $500 deductible.

Dropped from $360/yr to $305/yr.

Wow, I just saved about $400 by switching from Liberty Mutual to Progressive-now cost $1500 yr for Goldwing. Not riding the FJR till my knee heals more.

Wow, sucks to live in Mass.

Just north of the border here, I insure all three of my bikes for $860 a year, also with Progressive.

That includes comp and collision on two of them.

try these guys. i saw someone at the aprilia store in sf who was visiting from las vegas. he says he pays $250 per year for a tuono and $200 for a caponord. https://www.unitedmarine.net/ they quoted me $231 for a capo.
Anyone else recommend/comment on United Marine? I was quoted $390/Yr on a brand new 2009 FJR 1300A with $500 Deductibles (DFW, TX)

Last edited by a moderator:
$274 yr full coverage, $1000 deductible, with progressive. Home and auto and snowmobiles are with West bend Mutual, they wouldn't insure the FJR, it's on their black list according to the agent.

Foremost

Bodily Inj 100K

PD 50K

Unisured Motorist 50K

Collison -repl cost

Roadside /towing/trip interuption/ 1st accident waiver

$500 ded

72.83/mo for both bikes ( 2009 FJR/ 2007 HD FLHX)

You don't want to know what I pay, with three claims, including a crash 2 yrs back, and a freakin' mittful of tickets (only one on the bike, just had a run of bad luck). But I don't think the premium cost is the most important question.

I have Progressive, and that includes road service. First I hit a large rock in the road and ruined the front tire and rim and dented my Holeshot header. I had to be towed 148 miles. I remember that because the policy limit on towing--without out-of-pocket charges--is 150 miles. What's yours? Cost for the tow, the tire, the wheel, and the header: Nada. Ditto a few weeks ago, blowout in the desert, about 120 miles from Pahrump, NV. Towed for no cost. In '08 I crashed in Montana. The second day, the adjuster came out and looked at it: totaled. They gave me more than I'd paid for it a year previously, including the policy maximum of $1,000 for after-market parts. And I pulled off what I could take with me at the Helena dealership.

Hell, they've given me a HELL of a lot more in trouble-free, no-argument payouts, than I've ever paid in premiums. So maybe my cost is about NEGATIVE 6 or 8 thousand bucks! I dunno, maybe every insurance company would have done the same, but I don't think I'll switch to save a couple hundred bucks a year to find out, even if I knew I could.

Full coverage with $200 deductible for all the Kalifornia-scaled risks = $700 per year. Progressive. 30+ years experience in saddle made the biggest impact on bringing the rate down.

Cheers,

W2

I'm paying ~ $650 a year from Jevco here in Canada (jevco.ca). That's for everything including collision. It's only about $100 more than what I was paying for the Burgman 650.

One of the things that differentiates the US and many provinces in Canada is that in many provinces, vehicle insurance is mandatory though some government insurance scheme.

Alberta does not offer government insurance, rather it's wide open to private industry.

ian

Just cut my premium 60% by dumping GEICO, and going with Progressive. I've learned that whenever rates go up, it's time to shop no matter how long you've been with a carrier.

Mine just got bumped up $100 from last year to $770 by Foremost because they claimed something in the State legislature got approved in favor of the ins companies. A bunch of gov't and corp coziness strikes again. No tickets or accidents.

bodily $250k

property $100k

med part B 10k

uninsur part C 250k

damage to veh part D 500 ded

Seriously, quoting a number without detailng the coverage is useless information (apples to oranges anyone?) I can get $97 coverage that won't do anything for me at all. I can get full coverage, but at what levels? More info would be oh so helpful to everyone (well, maybe only me.)

GEICO

41 yo, No Cal, clean record (no tics since I was 19 - yes I am lucky)

100/300 Bod Injury ($95)

50 Prop Dam ($30)

100/300 UNINS ($112)

500 deducs on COMP COLw/UNINS WAIVER ($36/$270)

w/tow ($10)

$554 per year - pretty high in my opinion, but if I become a partial grease stain at least I'm covered! I understand you can be insurance poor, but I deal with it. This is higher than USAA on my R1 (they didn't drop me since I had it before they stopped doing MC Ins), but not by much - $450 for that bike with same coverages (apples to oranges comparison I know). Too bad USAA dropped MC since I have EVERYTHING through them - although I suppose it's good for the annual dividend checks - now if only they would stop insuring places with natural disasters every year. Progressive would be $697 for the same coverages. Never really checked anywhere else since this was within what I thought was reasonable to start.

GMAC full coverage is $326 for 12 months. They go by years with a motorcycle license. I've had mine 16 years.
I'm paying Progressive $425.00 which includes our Michigan Uninsured Coverage ( MIC $125.00 Changes Yearly ) So $300.00 full coverage 500 ded.

I gotta say I'm blown away by all the relatively high rates in comparison to mine. I'm paying less than $140 per year all inclusive (comp and coll) with $500 deductible at State Farm. Main point is though that they also have house & property insurance, 2x life plus 3 cars, and that we've been with this agent as a family since '96, and my wife's family since the 70s. Otherwise they'd probably be one of the higher rates... I also checked with Geico, and they were MUCH higher.

Your $140 rate is being subsidized by what they are charging you on the other insurance. The real cost is what you can get it for without all the other stuff. To find where they are making up the difference you'd have to shop for the best price of the other insurances too.