iPhone 5 as GPS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaons bandit- Is the app called navigon USA for $39.99?
Yep that's the one. I bought the map pack for North America. The cool thing is you can download only the maps you need if you prefer. For example, I only have southeast US downloaded, but if I travel I download maps for my destination. One thing to remember. Make sure you download when you have WIFI available.

Yep that's the one. I bought the map pack for North America. The cool thing is you can download only the maps you need if you prefer. For example, I only have southeast US downloaded, but if I travel I download maps for my destination. One thing to remember. Make sure you download when you have WIFI available.
Bandit- Thank you for all that info. I have a 2400 mile trip planned for the end of this month and I wanted to try and use my iphone as the GPS. I will probably have other questions as I go, so I will probably be PM'ing you at some point in time.

Newbies- as you can see there's lots of options with phones and gps's and whateverthehell. Don't get discouraged- just pick an idea and go with it. I'm more of a simplistic type o' guy so I just use the basic gps thing.
I like this :) but must add... just plan to... "re-configure" then you'll probably "re-configure again" and once you think you got what you want and where you want it?... "re-configure again!"

And have fun. I'm currently on my 7th GPS/Phone/Tablet (configuration)... and counting ;)

Bandit- Thank you for all that info. I have a 2400 mile trip planned for the end of this month and I wanted to try and use my iphone as the GPS. I will probably have other questions as I go, so I will probably be PM'ing you at some point in time.
No problem. Happy to help if I can.

I like this
smile.png
but must add... just plan to... "re-configure" then you'll probably "re-configure again" and once you think you got what you want and where you want it?... "re-configure again"
And have fun. I'm currently on my 7th GPS/Phone/Tablet (configuration)... and counting
wink.png
Ain't that the truth! Sometimes the routes transfer seamlessly but often the gps reroutes me and I start all over again. I long ago learn to use plenty of waypoints.

You definitely have to use a lot of waypoints and God help you if you want a loop :)

That is the part that takes a little practice. If I want a loop I usually make one route to get there and a second to get back.

I would also suggest zooming WAY in on google maps to make sure your waypoint is actually on the street you are riding so teh GPS will know you actually reached it and route you to the next one.

One good thing about Navigon is it is easy to remove waypoint from the route itself (not so much for adding them on the phone) and you can tell it to skip the current destination if you do run into a waypoint that you actually passed, but teh GPS doesn't realize it.

So far though, I haven't found anything more flexible or easy to use. Even if I did it would have to stay within a reasonable price range for me to use it.

I use my iPhone 5 for my GPS (and my iPhone 4 before that). Download the German North America app. It's $40 or 50 but has the maps predownloaded. The total download is around 1.4 gigs. Cell phone service not required.

I use my iPhone for music and GPS. The app lowers the music volume to tell me directions, I love it. Connects via bluetooth to my scala rider. There are water proof cases, my wife has one for hers but I just throw mine in the tank bag when it starts to rain. Being behind the wind shield it's usually dry.

I throw my radar detector into the tank bag too when it rains, oddly enough it still works... in the tank bag, odd.