Is a wreck inevitable?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick2

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Is it just a matter of time before each of us gets our clock cleaned?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I think if you really break it all down and try to remove all risk of ever going down on a bike, you will no longer be riding on 2 wheels. JMHO

JW

What do you guys think? Is it just a matter of time before each of us gets our clock cleaned?
Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't think that it's inevitable, but I don't think it's entirely preventable either. I do all that I can reasonably do to avoid a wreck (MSF training, constant reading, practice on a closed course, etc) and make every effort to mitigate risk of damage to my body (armored gear, gloves, helmet, boots, etc) but none of that can guarantee that some blue-hair won't sneak up and plow me.

I try to have the mindset that it's always probable...and pay attention accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope not, skeered me last time I had a bike when peeps would say: "not if, but when" :unsure:

Now, with my commercial drivers license and having driven big rigs thru New York City ( :aacool: ), I'm a little more confident, not superbiker, just more confident, but still evermore mindful of cagers. Hope I never hear the sound of inevitability.. :dribble:

Depends a lot on your riding style too. For sports riders, and those that like to push the bike, it's probably inevitable. For a cruiser style rider, who never pushes the envelope and obeys all traffic rules, the odds are probably a lot better.

You know what they say, there's 2 types of riders....

The question makes me think anytime a group of veteran riders gather; a scene similar to the one in the movie “JAWS” where a comparative exchange, about sea fairing related battle scars, occurred between Quint and Mr. Hooper could easily be played out by the veteran riders.

I think some kind of incident is inevitable if you ride long enough. How bad it will be is the real variable. Woof to all of what GunMD said, and I'll add that keeping yourself in decent shape may help, too. Sharp mentally to react to danger quickly and sharp physically to help you recover quicker if the blue hair or 16 year old sneaks up on you.

I have felt like I'm due for awhile now. While I don't have near the miles under me that some or most peeps around here have, I've probably got around 150K between three bikes (personal and work) and I'm accident free so far. With some of the chances I used to take at work, I don't know how I'm actually sitting here typing to you... :unsure:

Annual percentage wise, I believe I read bike accidents are in the increase. Not surprising considering more and more people having more expendable income equating to more people buying bikes which continuously become more powerful, and the technology of speed out-pacing rider skill levels. Plus of course the ever increasing stat... more and more vehicles per square mile.

But on the plus side, when you consider how many bikes are out there on the roads everyday, and how many miles are being driven; odds are only a small percentage of people will eat street, or buy the farm. Then again, it's always a matter of being on your toes every second.

Personally, I always try to stack the odds in my favor; given the choice - I'll take roads less traveled, avoid night riding, etc, etc, but even so I occasionally have a deer jump out in front of me, slide through a corner on leaves or gravel. and of course have an occasional cellphone wheeling soccer mom ignore a stop sign.

I suppose one could just stop riding and maybe be a bit safer, or roll the dice and take chances. What it all comes down to is, is the potential risk worth the pleasure. I prefer to ride, and is the worst happens... at least I had a damn good time! :D

The question makes me think anytime a group of veteran riders gather; a scene similar to the one in the movie “JAWS” where a comparative exchange, about sea fairing related battle scars, occurred between Quint and Mr. Hooper could easily be played out by the veteran riders.
Yeah, I could play that game. Can I bring x-rays? They look really strange.

Two thoughts to add:

Considering the high degree of probability of having some kind of an accident, how much does already having had one (or more) reduce one's chances?

One could argue that your odds will now be reduced because you've already "paid your dues" so to speak. But another might say you were obviously taking certain risks that led to the circumstance of the collision. Or maybe you'll have modified your actions after falling and no longer take those same risks. Things that make yo go, Hmmm...

Also, it is my thought (I have no proof at all) that where you ride (and when) has a tremendous influence on your odds.