Is Sturgis Worth Seeing? (The Area, not the Rally)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only imagine what that disabled link was a picture of. . .
dry.png

(I really can, too.)

I can only imagine what that disabled link was a picture of. . .
dry.png

(I really can, too.)
You know me Miguel, twas a picture of a Sturgis "hottie"! 20 minutes with this nasty chick and 2 shots of Jack Daniels would've killed off Niehart and Papa Chuy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was through the Black Hills in 2010 and 2011. It's great riding, but you don't want to be there in the first couple weeks of August.or you'll learn that pirate parade riding has no lean to it. Very unique roads and scenery with plenty to do for up to 4-days in the area. I would recommend the Sylvan Lake campground in the heart of the park. It's accessible to everything, and in the middle of some great roads. Be forewarned that parking at Rushmore is $11.00 and it doesn't matter if you have a parks pass. Don't miss 16 and the Oil City Road and Pinnicles Hwy.

Badlands is truly a couple hour wonder. I found myself riding through fast, then going back on the loop for a more scenic tour, but you won't spend huge amounts of time there...Wall Drug is not my thing, but don't let that stop you.

On the way, you have a lot of choices like Craters of the Moon, the Sawtooths in Idaho, Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, the Big Horns US16A to Sheridan, then on to Devils Tower and the Black Hillls. The problem with going to the Badlands from the West is you have to go through so much epic territory to get there. Coming from the East, it's the only thing interesting for 900 miles...and that's why Wall Drug thrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blackhills and Devils Tower area has nice scenery and lots of good bike roads. Lots of camping areas and good trout fishing if you're interested. I live just a few hours from the Hills so I get up there 3-4 times a year. As the area is fairly small, I would not recommend going during the rally as it gets very crowded. I recommend this area.

I think I'll head out there this year also. I could get to Sturgis in a day (600 miles) going the straight shot, but as mentioned, so much spectacular riding coming from the west I'd take an extra day. The Big Horns over to Sheridan WY are one of my favorite roads anywhere. Don't miss that either going out or coming back if you head that way...

Some pics here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148062

Go for it Mike. I've been to that area twice and am planning on taking the Mrs. up there this year. By all means, avoid the area during the pirate gathering, (unless you enjoy removing electricians tape to have a good time
rolleyes.gif
), but the Black Hills have some great riding and scenery. The tough part is north of Ft. Collins through Cheyenne and on Rapid City, battling crosswinds. The high point of that day was a telephone pole, reminding us we were still somewhere inhabited. A side trip well worth the ride is the Little Big Horn Battleground. Very interesting to see that actual site and learn about the battle and tactical errors made by Custer. And the notes about the wx are valid, when we were touring downtown Sturgis in mid August, the time and temp sign showed 100 degrees at 10:45 am!

Agree with all the above. Been to the Black Hills four times, Recommend taking the Northern route via Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Custer's Last Stand.

Well worth the time and trip.

Longrider

My daughter and I went through Sturgis the week before the main event. Awesome roads. Great times. Wall Drug was worth the trip.

Rob.

I've been to the area three times, last being 4 years ago camping at a Spearfish BMW rally, just down the road from Sturgis. I stay away from Wall Drug and the Sturgis rally, but it's a neat old small town. As indicated by others, great riding in the area. Going west to the Bighorn's, wonderful mountain passes west of Buffalo and Custer's Last Stand, then Yellowstone, Beartooth pass.............

Nah, nothing to see here, move along...

5933934907_c40c375e87.jpg

Kidding. The area is definitely worth seeing, and definitely not during the rally.

Might also mention that there is a Yamaha/BMW dealer in Sturgis and a motorcycle museum in the downtown area. Deadwood is a neat town, with gambling and historical type buildings. The Keystone area has quite a few motels and is connected to good roads along with being centrally located in the Hills.

When I was planning the ride out west a few years ago I had picked a campground in Keystone, even google maps didn't show much there so I thought it was some little backwoods 'burg.

It definitely isn't. It's a little town that only exists to serve tourists going to Rushmore (we could see Rushmore all lit up at night from our hotel). Lot of hotels, food, souvineer shops etc. Not a bad place to stop or anything, but it's no 5 houses and campground that I had pictured.

Keystone is one of our favorite places/area to stay at. Lots of camping as you mentioned and the Red Ruby downtown is a good place to eat. Coming from a backwoods 'burg, I know a lot about small towns.

Might also mention that there is a Yamaha/BMW dealer in Sturgis and a motorcycle museum in the downtown area. Deadwood is a neat town, with gambling and historical type buildings. The Keystone area has quite a few motels and is connected to good roads along with being centrally located in the Hills.
Those guys treated me great when I stopped there in June after NAFO. They put on a new rear tire and did a thorough inspection of the bike after I told them that I had been run into. In and out in time to spend the day riding the area.

Have you deicided on any time frame for this trip SacMike? I'm sure you wouldn't mind running into a forum member here n there along the way. Or maybe you're smart enough that you would mind.
rolleyes.gif

Mike

Everything's still up in the air for this summer, Mike. Still thinking about this route, as well as farther north, up towards Banff and Jasper NPs. But we'll also be taking the youngest off to college in late August or so, apparently the Flagstaff area, so that'll be a pretty major road trip for everybody. By car. :( So this summer's bike adventures might have to be restricted to more local ones. Well, local-ish. :)

But I'm always willing to meet forum folks, somewhere.

I was there this past yr the week before the ralley. Got there on Tuesday, rode the road until Friday and left - worked out good!

The first few days were great, but by Friday the crowd was coming in and time to go!

Sturgis-BBG-DenverIBAtripAug12189-1_zpse42b59b2.jpg

Sturgis-BBG-DenverIBAtripAug12201_zps828f8413.jpg

and after a bit of riding after leaving Sturgis, I got here:

Sturgis-BBG-DenverIBAtripAug12511.jpg

So GO! Great riding area. I liked going the week before as things were warming up to the rally but the crowd wasn't there yet.

I camped @ No Name City and while I HATE camping, it wasn't that bad. I'd go back and maybe will spend a night there this yr on the way back from Alaska.