Is the FJR right for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I have been riding for a year and a half now. I have a 2007 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom I need to sell. Please no HD bashing- I do that enough on my own. I know someone who works at the local shop and I got a really really good deal. I do think it was a good first bike. Since then I've learned much more about all bikes. I have gained a friend who rides a gsxr1000 and a girlfriend. I like to ride his bike more than I like to ride mine. I am starting to accumulate winter gear, not that it gets too cold in South Carolina. I want something I can use as a primary vehicle, COMFORTABLY put the girl on the back (she likes it :D ), and still be able to go fast when I want to. I guess the big problem is I can only afford one bike. I keep reading about how good at long distance touring these bikes are, but the majority of my riding is in town/city and the 45 minute highway run to work and school. How are these bikes at city driving? Is an FJR a good fit for my needs or should I look elsewhere? The closest dealer that has one is a couple hour drive. With christmas on everyone's mind for a little while I don't know when I'll be able to get down there.
The FJR is a GREAT bike, but be careful....There is a world of difference between it and what you're on now (can you say "3 times the power and the same weight") This is a SERIOUS motorcycle. Take it easy 'till you learn it though and you'll love it. Just remember, always, it WILL bite if mistreated. Also, it Will propel you into license endangering territory in a nanosecond!

Good Luck and welcome to the addiction!

Hi! I have been riding for a year and a half now. I have a 2007 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom I need to sell. Please no HD bashing- I do that enough on my own. I know someone who works at the local shop and I got a really really good deal. I do think it was a good first bike. Since then I've learned much more about all bikes. I have gained a friend who rides a gsxr1000 and a girlfriend. I like to ride his bike more than I like to ride mine. I am starting to accumulate winter gear, not that it gets too cold in South Carolina. I want something I can use as a primary vehicle, COMFORTABLY put the girl on the back (she likes it :D ), and still be able to go fast when I want to. I guess the big problem is I can only afford one bike. I keep reading about how good at long distance touring these bikes are, but the majority of my riding is in town/city and the 45 minute highway run to work and school. How are these bikes at city driving? Is an FJR a good fit for my needs or should I look elsewhere? The closest dealer that has one is a couple hour drive. With christmas on everyone's mind for a little while I don't know when I'll be able to get down there.
If you want to take the girlfriend, and if you want to go fast once in a while, and if you want to be comfortable, and if you can only afford one bike, and if you are worried about city driving with lots of stop and go and clutching, I would recommend the FJR AE. It will do all of these things well.

As for the issue of dropping the FJR, it does seem like there are a lot of guys who drop them at low speed, or when stopped. I think this is a matter of muscle development, inseam, and how well you can plan to avoid conditions that might lead to instability. The FJR is probably harder to keep up than a cruiser with a 27" seat height... but its not hard to keep up.

As for the issue of dropping the FJR, it does seem like there are a lot of guys who drop them at low speed, or when stopped. I think this is a matter of muscle development, inseam, and how well you can plan to avoid conditions that might lead to instability. The FJR is probably harder to keep up than a cruiser with a 27" seat height... but its not hard to keep up.
+1

If you buy one, you'll see a reminder here on the forum every couple weeks telling the tale of a fresh drop. It helps keep you humble and in the habit of planning low speed maneuvers carefully.

Sounds like you need a sport bike or FZ1. The FJR is FAST but heavy, little too much bike in the city. Try the link in the following forum topic, fun little link. I found out that I'm a 51 year-old squid that should be riding a 600-sport bike. :rolleyes:
Motorcycle Personality Test.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=109934

I did too. Since I have never even come close to wanting a 600cc sport bike make you wonder if the person who wrote the test has a clue especialy since a lot of the questions did not even have anything close to what I would answer

Sportsters are very top heavy also. The FJR is about 50lbs heavier(wet) and is about the same length. The FJR has about the same torque and about twice the horsepower. But that's just what the spec sheet says. That's why I came to ask how it rides and see what kind of people ride them.

I`m sure you will ask the Concours guy`s & the st1300 guys & all will pretty much say the same thing that we say (how much they love there bike) it`s more of a brand preferance (mine happens to be Yamaha) than who is better. Now are you tall -short , fat - skinny (age or sex don`t matter) As with all sport tourers they are a little top heavy so you have to keep on your toes all the time (no matter what brand)
Actually I just came straight to you guys. I looked at a few reviews and the FJR beat the Concours and the ST1300 in handling. They said the Honda had the better engine, the Concours just had more power, and the BMWs are just too expensive. I read in a few places that you people add power commanders, get them tuned, and they run beautifully.

I am a 6' 170lb 20 year-old male.

Love my feej but......if your not touring there are quite a few alternatives that are much lighter and cheaper. If you think touring may be in your future then get the FJR.
I do most of my traveling on the highway, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too uncomfortable to ride in the city. I would go for long distance rides if I had the proper equipment for it. My back gets very sore after riding 2 hours on the Sportster.

My riding style is geared more to longer sport touring with the occasional scratching of the back 40. First impressions will be that the FJR is a beast when standing still, and steering is considerably heavier than the GSXR too.

Being heavier you'll need to be cautious diving into turns as it's weight will not slow as quickly. Lean angles are considerably less and dragging pegs is easier. Acceleration is AWESOME! maybe not GSXR1000 awesome, but for moving 600lbs it's quite effortless. I've played with several FZ1000 and we're pretty even.

In town riding, the FJR is heavy, and one must be aware of its extra weight. In all, probably one of the best all-round sport touring bikes.
Again, the weight is about the same. I really don't mind it while I'm downtown. I actually like having some weight; it's not twitchy. The FJR has brakes though, something I wish I got with the Harley. I need something faster. The Sportster has never felt fast to me. It gets off the line decently, but after first gear there's nothing.

If you want to take the girlfriend, and if you want to go fast once in a while, and if you want to be comfortable, and if you can only afford one bike, and if you are worried about city driving with lots of stop and go and clutching, I would recommend the FJR AE. It will do all of these things well.
I'm not worried about the clutching, just the general feeling of the bike. I, personally, can't stand automatics. I wish they made more cars with manual transmissions.

I did see a few complaints about drops with just a quick look through the forums. What is the deal with that?

I haven't ever used a center stand before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR is much faster than the Sportster and I am sure handles waaay better! :clapping:

I came from a Honda Magna VF750, nice smooth pretty fast V4. About 125 lbs lighter than the FJR. I do not find the FJR top heavy or cumbersome at low speed. On the contrary, for a pretty large bike it feels very nimble to me at all speeds. Any bike can and probably will eventually be dropped at some point during ownership. One foggy morning, foot down in a slick/greasy spot etc when you are not properly prepared and it will go down. However, I do not feel the FJR is really more prone to that than my Magna...way more fun to ride though! I am 5'9" 180 lbs and feel more and more secure on the FJR by the day. I also never previously had a bike with center stand but its totally simple once you know the proper technique. I pretty much always center stand it and only use side stand if it will literally be for just a few mins.

Get the FJR!!

I'm not worried about the clutching, just the general feeling of the bike. I, personally, can't stand automatics. I wish they made more cars with manual transmissions.
The AE is not an automatic. It is an electronic clutch. The rider still picks the shift points and activates the shift. Sort of like an Indy car's paddle shifter.

You came to an FJR forum asking if it would be a good choice. Most if not all love our bikes and much of it will depend on how you like to ride. The bike is drama free and the hardest decision is to get the older style A with an old fashioned clutch or the AE with the ability to shift with your fingers or foot if you like.

Sportsters are very top heavy also.

I won't argue with you, but I will kindly disagree.

Though the weight comparison may be close, where it's positioned makes a world of difference. Your personal weight and height may also decrease the likelyhood of dropping. I'm 5'8" 160lbs and started working out just to reduce the potential of a drop. Over the last several years I've had to close drop encounters. Leg strength is imparative once the bike begins to lean while stopped.

On another note:

By the sound of your responses, you've already made up your mind. What's the procrastinating? Go out and get yours...immidiately!

You won't regret it!

Sport

I just got my '05 feejer last week without ever riding one.

I rode it 300+ miles home and only my face hurt from laughing and grinning all the way home!!! :lol:

I ride mine daily to work and everywhere I can make an excuse to go on it...

DO NOT DELAY, sell the HD and run to your nearest FJR ASAP!!!

You will have no regrets. ;)

I just got my '05 feejer last week without ever riding one.
I rode it 300+ miles home and only my face hurt from laughing and grinning all the way home!!! :lol:

I ride mine daily to work and everywhere I can make an excuse to go on it...

DO NOT DELAY, sell the HD and run to your nearest FJR ASAP!!!

You will have no regrets. ;)
+1

The last bike I rode before FJR is 500CC ten years ago. I'm 5'9"/170 lbs./30 inseam. It is heavy but as long as you respect it's weight at all times you will be OK. I ride it to work daily on 100% city. You just have to plan quick on parking if you are in unfamiliar places.

I came back to motorcycles with the FJR, after a 10 year hiatus... All of the bikes I used to ride were all 600-750cc crotch-rockets. When I road the FJR for the first time, I realized that I needed to give myself a cpl of weeks to get used to the utter mass of the FJR.

I ended up taking it out every evening and weekend, and just finding big empty parking lots to practice low-speed maneuvers. On Sundays I'd go to the DMV parking lot and just shuffle around the parking lot there.

Now, the FJR feels totally awesome!! :clapping: It feels very nimble to me now that my muscle-memory has been developed. :yahoo: :clapping:

I came back to motorcycles with the FJR, after a 10 year hiatus... All of the bikes I used to ride were all 600-750cc crotch-rockets. When I road the FJR for the first time, I realized that I needed to give myself a cpl of weeks to get used to the utter mass of the FJR. I ended up taking it out every evening and weekend, and just finding big empty parking lots to practice low-speed maneuvers. On Sundays I'd go to the DMV parking lot and just shuffle around the parking lot there.

Now, the FJR feels totally awesome!! :clapping: It feels very nimble to me now that my muscle-memory has been developed. :yahoo: :clapping:

Good...now go shovel your driveway :yahoo: :dribble:

Ok, then I guess that's that. The Sportster is on craigslist. Hopefully I'll get a bite- wish me luck. Has anyone sold anything in the paper? Should I even bother with it? Is there anywhere else I should list it?

Ok, then I guess that's that. The Sportster is on craigslist. Hopefully I'll get a bite- wish me luck. Has anyone sold anything in the paper? Should I even bother with it? Is there anywhere else I should list it?

I bought mine on Fleebay, but I've heard lots of good about Craigslist. I personally wont mess with the local paper; they seem to forget the vaseline when they take your money.

I came back to motorcycles with the FJR, after a 10 year hiatus... All of the bikes I used to ride were all 600-750cc crotch-rockets. When I road the FJR for the first time, I realized that I needed to give myself a cpl of weeks to get used to the utter mass of the FJR. I ended up taking it out every evening and weekend, and just finding big empty parking lots to practice low-speed maneuvers. On Sundays I'd go to the DMV parking lot and just shuffle around the parking lot there.

:D :lol: :D :p

:D :lol: :D :p
Hi, I've always had sportbikes and still do. However thanks to a co-worker (ROADRUNNER) I got to ride an FJR. Get one ASAP! You will be glad from then on. Pete

For the kind of usage you described the FJR might be fine but no bike is perfect for everything. You will have to accept the fact that it will not perform anywhere near your friend's GSXR 1000. It is not a sportbike but is surprisingly nimble for a big, heavy, powerful sport tourer. It would definitely not be my first choice if stop-and-go city driving were the main objective (but neither would a sportbike); for that it is hard to beat something upright, light, flickable, and durable like a dual sport or a naked standard or even a scooter. OTOH, the FJR will give you comfort at speed and decent protection from the elements on your 45 minute highway run and will be excellent for touring and two-up.