Is the FJR the culmination of your dreams in a motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO this bike answers the mail on many levels but have other toys in the garage that fill the gaps where this one lacks. I love the day to day riding of this machine. Love the fact that you can zip down the highways in a spirited manner and Johnny Law doesn't even look at you. My R1 looks as if it is speeding just leaning on the kickstand and if the WR were street legal I would get stopped and ticketed for things that I was about to do on it. Yeah... The FJR is a well built machine for a cross over between sport/touring. Oh wait, that is what it is! Yamaha nailed it with this machine. If I could get to Wheelie like the WR and corner like the R1 it would be the dogs ballz.

For now it is my "adult responsible" bike. (man I can even type that without having a sh*t eatin grin on"

Later, gotta ride now. Thanks.

The Feejer does a lot well, but I miss my Ducati, I'm looking for a DR650 Suzi, and occasionally enjoy a borrowed cruiser. Different tools fitting different jobs.

I have owned my FJR less than a week but so far it is fantastic. I have been riding 1800 wings since 02 and I can now see that Honda needs to have their butts kicked !!!!

FJR Good Features:

Adjustable suspension front and rear.

Adjustable fairing for wind protection.

Electrically adjustable windshield.

Removable saddlebags.

Saddle Bag Liners included.

Adjustable handlebars.

Adjustable seat.

Gear Position indicator.

Fuel Economy data.

More Power.

Less Weight.

ABS Brakes as standard equipment.

Electrically locking glovebox.

Easy seat Removal with just a key. Wow what a concept.

A Frame that doesn't need a re-weld ........ did I say that.

I'm sure I will come up with more next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep -- all my recent (and some, not-so-recent) motorcycles are 'current' Vincent Black Princes. Effort-less, competent high-speed touring. The FJR certainly passes that 'litmus-test' -- for me. There's a (for lack of a better term) "formula" for success in grand sport-touring -- and it encompasses: ergonomics, weather protection, speed-performance-handling, luggage accomodation, and dependability. All of these, the Fjr provides ('sparingly' -- without too much excess -- especially, the '03).

Here's the bike that started it (50-some years ago) for me:

DSCN3146.jpg

Is the FJR the culmination of your dreams in a motorcycle?
I have to say no, adding that no other manufacturer makes the perfect bike either. Like all bikes, the FJR is a compromise. It's weather protection, power and smoothness make it a reasonably good touring bike, though not as comfortable or accomodating as a Wing, Ultra Glide, K 1200 LT, etc., particularly for 2-up touring Those same qualities make it an adequate commuter, though it's weight, extremely top-heavy nature, binary throttle control, and high seat height make it less than perfect for urban stop-and-go riding. At the same time, it's power and handling characteristics seem to work well for the go-fast, boy- (and girl-) racers among us who need a more all around bike than a Gixxer or a Busa.

So, the FJR is a compromise, or series of compromises. All in all, it's a good bike, maybe even a great bike, and probably the most we can expect from a manufacturer who is trying to satisfy the largest possible swath of riders in a fairly narrow niche.

What model and year is that bike? It is just beautiful.
It's the faired version of the early '50s Vincent motorcycle (England). 1000cc V-Twin; Black Knight -- faired Rapide ('cooking' model) or Black Prince -- faired Black Shadow (55hp, 'Hi-Perf' model).

Lest we get too excited -- these words from (pen-man) LJK Setright: "Most of the public were horrified, thinking that motorcycles ought to parade themselves naked at whatever cost to the rider." "Alas, the times were not conducive to the sale of big high performance motorcycles that were built up to a standard rather than down to a price."

Engineer/designer Philip Vincent was out-of-business by 1956. MamaYama probably knows this, too -- may be cause for their reluctance to offer the FJR to America (initially)?

I think the bike's 'just beautiful', too (in a 'form-follows-function' way).

FJR is a good bike, but far from a dream bike. It needs more character. For starters, I'd like even more power, USD forks and radial binders to keep it "modern," less weight, more comfort, sharper handling, etc. etc. Hey! I can DREAM can't I?

It comes pretty close. I have a few things I would like to change, but not so much that I can't do without those changes.

I am satisfied with my FJR but not overjoyed. Seat height and vibration in the handle bars...throttle side only for some reason. Power is OK not great and mine seems to like to go thru front tires much quicker than rear. :assassin: I did not think I was pushing it that hard. I use it for a daily rider weather permitting and enjoy it allot. Is it perfect, nope I agree with several of the other posts it is a compromise and nobodys bikes are "perfect".

It's my dream bike. :yahoo:

Name a better "sportstourer" for the money? A sportstourer that you can go coast to coast if you want...or take the local twisties if you want.

You can't name a better one in my book. :assassin:

It's my dream bike. :yahoo:
Name a better "sportstourer" for the money? A sportstourer that you can go coast to coast if you want...ot take the local twisties if you want.

You can't name a better one in my book. :assassin:

Right On Bro !!!

Do the right mods, leave the bags at your motel and rail quite nicely on sporty road trips.

My SST void has been filled.

The only downs to the bike is its to top heavy and the passanger seat could be a bit larger also the rear pegs lowered a bit .Larger sheild , risers , i have a 05 .

YYEEPPP ! I mean its not perfect, and I aint got a stable, If I did I'd be livin there!... but even with a great wet dream theres a little clean up anyway :yahoo: It'll do it all !

Blessings,

Bobby

Latest posts