Is the FJR the culmination of your dreams in a motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A perfect bike in an imperfect world, I don't think so. But it is fun when your on your game. PM. <>< :D

This is what I think. I've had my 07 since December and I have 2300 miles on it. Can't wait for warm dry weather. The only thing that bugged me was the throttle response. I fixed that by doing all the throttle mods and added a PCIII.

Recent motorcycle history: In 04 I returned to motorcycling and bought a Moto Guzzi Lemans, rode it for 2 years, sold it and bought a Harley (wild hair), sold the Harley and got a new Moto Guzzi Norge. I thought the Norge was going to make me happy but I had problems with it and quickly determined I didn't like it so much. While being disgruntled with the Norge I test rode the FJR and loved it. Sold the Norge and got the FJR. Based on my impressions so far I think it's a keeper. For me, it does everything I want, and does it well, and doesn't piss me off or annoy me. The handling, suspension, power, adjustability, comfort, dealer availability, and reliability all much better than any of my Guzzis. All other Sport Touring bikes seemed to fall short for various reasons. So far, so good.

Not reallysure if it's the "perfect" bike. But for me, it's the bike I dreamed of having since I was 17,the FJ1200 sweatshirt I have from 1989 can attest to that. Even if we don't get along right now, I'm sure this "new" 2005 and I will get along as well as me and the first one. No regrets, then again, not much experience w/ other bikes to have any. Ignorance may be bliss in this instance, but I doubt it's ignorance, just a culmination of eveything I hoped for. Sorta like the 91 Toyota I have, wanted that since I was a kid and now have 250,000 miles on her, original everything. Just gotta keep her in the garage until I finish gathering all the parts for her rehab to new, the environment here will leave her a hulk of rust before you know it.

Next year she gets a garage mate, just not sure which. The one I want to get is nothing like the FJR and I prefer to keep it that way.

I (we) love this bike. She has only the knowledge she has picked up from being my passenger, but that introduction spoiled her... could I think of taking her for a ride of any length on a sportbike? No, no, no...silly question. I have had a few bikes over the years (before we were married) and this is far and above anything I've ever had... speed, power, comfort, handling, and other ergonomics all combine to bring the immediate pleasure of the ride, but more than that, they have given us new ideas and reasons to plan fun trips together, trips that we would have planned less thoroughly if it meant just hopping in the Commander and her sleeping for six hours till we arrive at point B. This way we are a team and see all that we pass. We stop and take pictures, we eat at fun little places, we have a common adventure that requires us being together. She loves the term "farkle" and OKs the funds to buy them. She calls me at work and asks if we can go for a ride after work just to go fast and relax. Sometimes she hugs me as we ride and forgoes the $245 backrest... and that is a great feeling.

Guess, what I'm saying is whether it is the bike (which I love) or the experiences we are having on it, then a resounding YES, this is he greatest bike I could imagine. I know alot of people who buy bikes to get away from things, for us it brings us to things. Nice thing is, she is with me when I ride alone, as she knows how relaxed I become after a ride.

Chris

(OK,... I'd also like to have a DUCATI for "me days"...just sayin')

I have owned many bikes during my 30+ years of riding and none I would consider the culmination of my dreams in a motorcycle but if I could only have one bike, it would be the FJR.

No, my FJR Sux:

I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan while I was gently squeezing my anti-lock brakes like an orange to keep them from locking up.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy. My cover wore the paint off the tops of my mirrors. Then I got yelled at by another rider on a group ride

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt.... :lol:

No. But its a damn fine motorcycle.

"Dream FJR" would have:

More power

Less Vibration

Lighter Weight

Non-reflective dash panel

Zero driveline lash

Less abrupt on/off throttle response

1/2" off the seat height

More ground clearance

Ohlins suspension

Self-cancelling turn signals

Alarm system

Its one of the best bikes I've owned, and does so many things so very well, the rest of the stuff is just at the "noise" level.

If the ride calls for more than just a day of railing corners, I'm on the FJR.

No, my FJR Sux:
I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan while I was gently squeezing my anti-lock brakes like an orange to keep them from locking up.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy. My cover wore the paint off the tops of my mirrors. Then I got yelled at by another rider on a group ride

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt.... :lol:
OK, now that's just funny as hell right there.

Since I had no idea that I could like a bike this much, I'd have to say YES, this is the dream bike. Quirks? I guess it has some. Problems? Not really. I love this bike and I am reminded each and every time I ride it.

Thanks, scythian......you made it worth my while wasting my precious time reading this thread. Believe you me, I was avoiding it and dreading it the whole time.

I just had a customer come in on his new vtx 1800, all excited about his new ride. Had to do the obligitory look at the new bike. And all the time I was just grinnin', looking over at the fjr sitting over across the lot. This yahoo going on about all of his new found power, etc. He doesn't have a clue.

The fjr is not perfect, but is perfectly fine right now.

And all the time I was just grinnin', looking over at the fjr sitting over across the lot. This yahoo going on about all of his new found power, etc. He doesn't have a clue.
LOL! When I went to Femmoto, I rode all kinds of bikes (with of course the best one being first and last, since I went on the FJR). One of the MotoGuzzi reps handed over a bike to me with a studied warning to be careful with the throttle. He felt that I was going to be very impressed with the power that this bike had to offer. It had SEVENTY FIVE horsepower. It was a nice enough bike, but was wasn't an FJR.

Jill

For what purposes or desires do you ride? Find the correct ride to meet each desire and satisfaction is yours.

For my true dirt bike itch, an FJR sucks.

For my dual sport rides, an FJR sucks.

For my 'look at me riding a 40 year old motorcycle', the FJR sucks. I'll try to keep it long enough to test though..

For my back road, easy-going, got my babe on the back and sniffin posies ride, the Fjr sucks.

For day to day riding, for getting somewhere I've never been before, and a very long way aways, where the route has serious twisties and slab and bad weather and I need to get there at maximum velocity and lean angle? The FJR ROCKS. As such, it is the most ridden bike in my stable and gets the nod for ride selection over all other bikes, even the beloved HD FLHTCU.

I imagine it's kind of like why Warchild loves his XXBB so much.. it scratches a different itch. I get that. Or Smitty selling his FJR and currently riding a KTM Adventurer. Itch, SCRATCH. Different itch, differnt scratch. Each itch requires a different scratch, simple as that. So there. Four dollars please.

I have to agree, aside from the talked about issues, there is not much this bike can not offer it's rider. It has speed, power, canyon burning ability if you choose or flat out cruising at high speed. And all the fun you could ask for. I am going through an unpleasant divorce and I cant help but enjoy the freedom the FJR offers to ride so many different ways. I can hang with the kids in the canyons , much to their dismay. I can crusie with the Harleys, or just rip it up solo whereever I choose. This bike gives me a smile everytime I climb on and open the throttle. Other than another gear and a little more power, less buzz and weight, what more could you want? Even happiness has a price...

11,000 miles this year. Love this bike!!! If the wife were still around, I would have a lot less miles and not as many smiles. :biggrinsmiley:

Hey, what's the average FJR riders age? I'm 40 and wondering why I waited so long to get this wonderful bike...

Culmination of my dreams? Uhhhh, not hardly. The FJR does provide a very good blend of power, handling and functionality, and if sport-touring is your main thing, I could see where the FJR could be your dream bike. But if you also like other aspects of motorcycling; say... speed, racing, motocross, trail riding, etc. There's no one bike that's going to fill your dreams. In that case, you need a stable! :D

SR-71

:blink: I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, the FJR is the culmination of lots of years in motorcyclling, many other bikes owned and experianced and found lacking in one way or another, but the FJR does so many things so well that I'm just sad it took me sooo many years to find it, or for that matter a company that would manufacture such a well thought out bike, priced so many of us can enjoy it...unlike overpriced BMW's and Harley's.
Liquid cooled engine has all the acceleration, torque and dependability that 99.5% percent of the motorcycling public could want. The gear ratios work well for the bike weight and torque of the engine. I'm not searching for the "right" gear like I am on other bikes.

The wind/weather protection is great and adjustability range suits the majority of people's needs.

What can you say about shaft drive, yeah, no more messy chain lubes that get slung on the wheel or attract dirt, no more chains to tension.

Instrumentation and information available is thorough and right on target for the long distance sport-tourer. (Hey Yamaha, I would surmise the vast majority of people that buy this bike are 40 and older, we wear reading glasses, so it would be much appreciated if you made the numbers a little larger i.e. you don't have to have 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 on the speedo with the numbers so small, just include every other number on the display;20, 40, 60, 80, and have a heavy hash mark to denote 10, 30, 50, 70 etc.,etc.)

Range of adjustment for handle bars and seat are more then other bikes I've owned and suitable for the majority of people. (I'm just so short at 5'6", that no bike designed for the general masses will fit me...no way am I ever going to go the cruiser route.)

Seat comfort is good, but for so many of us long distance riders, no matter what seat came with a bike we would be looking into custom seats for that "all day comfort" that so many of us demand.

Ergonomics is fine for most of us, the reach isn't too far forward towards the bars, leg room is commendable, no cramped knees for most of us and no aggravating the carpul tunnel syndrome as the riding position is fairly neutral and all day comfortable.

Hard luggage is simple and easy to take off and put back on. No more bungy cording duffels and knapsacks on the rear of the seat or luggage rack. The liners on the inside with handles and shoulder straps is something that 90% of us love and applaude Yamaha for including with the bike. It's so much easier to take the liners out and up to the hotel room as opposed to lugging the hardcases up stairs and elevators. The bike looks good with the bags on or off...not like the the Honda ST1300, whiich is butt ugly with the bags off.

Headlight illumination/coverage is much better then any other bike I've owned, and it is adjustable via a simple knob.

The ABS brakes are outstanding and will stop this monster in a hurry.

The suspension is adjustable front and rear. If you're going to ride two up just flip the soft/hard rear lever.

I know their have been plenty of people that have complained about the windsheild not being large enough, or a buziness @ a certain rpm, or the stator not producing enough reserve for farkle operation, but personally I think this bike rocks and is one of the best purchases I've made in my life.

I just hope that when Yamaha designs the next generation FJR, they keep the weight down, include a cruise control and another electrical outlet with a higher amp rating so you can plug in electrically heated clothing or recharge the battery by just plugging in a battery tender.
talk about hitting the nail on the head

if i could have any bike, it would be the FJR. I have an 07 and love it. The color, the lack of heat, (except in the winter), the ride. I had an 02 Concours and had to sue Kawasuckme to make them buy it back under the lemon law. Had lots of rear end leakage issues. Since august i have put 7300 miles on it and been to 8 states. My only regret is i don't have more time to ride it far. Where were you FJR when i was single, no kids, money and time to ride? WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU!!!!

I think for someone like myself that will only have one bike, the FJR is the perfect choice. Someone on the forum said, and I agree, "Nothing else makes as much sense."

Latest posts