Is this wrong?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, that looks great! Even if it is a HONDA part ;)

I can relate to the frustration of wrenching. While I normally really enjoy it, the last two months have taken it's toll.

I have no regrets, and mine has run right from the get-go. I have added a few thing (G2 throttle cam, a 5 minute install) and a PC3 which I recently removed because I got stranded after moving it's ground connections. I haven't put it back on yet.

they are bullet proof once you get them where you want em.

You guys are great! I really am impressed with your forum, and the quality of people here(except for that one guy).

I guess I should have expected(and did expect)) a few problems when the PO told me he had had the bike for about nine months and had only put a little over 1000 miles on it. It sat most of the time, and we all know what kind of problems that can cause.

I'm sure once I get all the wrinkles smoothed out, that I'll love the bike and every one of you can say "see there, we told you it was a nice bike". I look forward to that day.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, and listening to me "bitch" about this bike...

A neighbor gave me a trunk that had fallen off his ST1300 paneuropean and had been replaced by insurance. So I fabricated a mount and installed it on my 04. Once I got it situated, and wife approved, I did the bodywork on it and ordered colorrite paint for it. I painted it yesterday, and will apply the clearcoat today.
My question is...Do you think it's wrong to have a Hondaline trunk on a Yamaha?
That trunk looks great on the bike! Good job on the fabrication (despite the cracking subframe concern).

And I wouldn't worry about Honda parts on your Yamaha. I can say that because I have Honda heated grips, Suzuki hand guards, Harley Davidson highway pegs and an Automotive cruise control installed on my Yamaha! :D And even my factory Yamaha trunk is repositioned using a custom mount (with no subframe cracking concerns however).

Some of us just can't leave well enough alone! ;)

Great job. I think it's better looking than most any other FJR trunk I've seen. And you've definately got some mad fabrication skilz. :specool:

By the way, I think most of your bike problems might be related to the duck silhouette that have on both sides of the frame. I think the bike might be embarrassed. :haha:

By the way, I think most of your bike problems might be related to the duck silhouette that have on both sides of the frame. I think the bike might be embarrassed. :haha:
Duck sillouette? Did you mean his "Tail of the Dragon" stickers?

[SIZE=8pt](don't get outta the flatlands much, eh Tex?)[/SIZE]

Like I said, I painted the @%&H*! $% thing black! :yahoo: Here is the filter now...You'd have to get on your knees right beside my bike to see any of that yellow. :blink: . And while you're down there...

P7130421.jpg
:yahoo:

You know I'm just kiddin, right????

Like I said, I painted the @%&H*! $% thing black! :yahoo: Here is the filter now...You'd have to get on your knees right beside my bike to see any of that yellow. :blink: . And while you're down there...
P7130421.jpg
:yahoo:

You fit right in with these clowns!

Keep playing with the FJR it is a good platform to pick em up and put em down!!!!!!

... when the PO told me he had had the bike for about nine months and had only put a little over 1000 miles on it. It sat most of the time, and we all know what kind of problems that can cause.
Shit - the PO of my FJR had it a year and only put 400 miles on it! :dribble: :blink: I do more than that in a day! The first owner, on the other hand, put 47K on it in 3 years or so. We're up to 64K nowadays...

Like I said, I painted the @%&H*! $% thing black! :yahoo: Here is the filter now...You'd have to get on your knees right beside my bike to see any of that yellow. :blink: .
ya fucked up big time :dribble:

you were supposed to paint the filter to match the bike and trunk :rolleyes:

NO ONE (i think) has ever painted their filter to match the bike's plastic

(well maybe Gaurald, but he painted his bike red) :blink:

did you pull the filter off, paint it, then reinstall it :ph34r:

now that's motivation

the flat black is a good primer; now pull it off and paint it CS... :yahoo:

Well I ran out of CS. But no, I just used foil to mask the engine and shot it where it sits. Think I'll go back and edit first post and use the painted filter pic so everyone that sees it for the first time will wonder what the hell all these guys are talking about with the filter... :yahoo:

You know what, Patriot? Sometimes I'm a little "slow", but I think you may be "testing" my anal retentiveness??? I am pretty Anal sometimes, but at least I didn't pull the filter to paint it CS....

LOL, ROTFLMAO, ETC...

I'm in edit, so I have no smilies to show I'm kidding....But I AM kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mount that I fabricated does not use the rack. It goes through the tail(hard decision there) and bolts to the subframe in three places.
P7100415.jpg
This is similar to the mounting plate that the SHAD trunk uses for the Gen II's. The Gen II rack is different from the Gen I in that bolts to the rear subframe in three places while it appears that yours bolts in one.

The mount that SHAD sells uses the three holes just like yours uses the one. I am not convinced you are completely bypassing the grab rail with your setup -

I have used my Shad case heavily loaded for 30,000 miles without a problem - yet. On the other hand double entendre had his crack on him using a SHAD case. Ya takes your chances I guess.

It is also how the Yamaha factory accessory trunk mounts to the 1st gens. Drill holes through the tail section and bolts with spacers to the rear subframe. Therefore, all the weight is borne by the subframe. I would venture that it's that weakness of the design that is the reason the Yamaha trunk has an inside liner that cuts the inner volume down so much. They are trying to make sure that you don't carry too much stuff in there.

A V45 GIVI or any of the Shad boxes can carry a lot more stuff, hence the need to support the trunk box with more than just the subframe.

It is also how the Yamaha factory accessory trunk mounts to the 1st gens. Drill holes through the tail section and bolts with spacers to the rear subframe.
I just noticed that double entendre's problem that I linked to before is also on a Gen I. Doesn't that rear bolt I am looking at in mscott's photo also bolt the grab bars to the rear subframe? I would think that would put the grab bars in tension. I thought the issue with the cracked rear subframes, ie Iggy, was from removing the grab bar altogether.

It is also how the Yamaha factory accessory trunk mounts to the 1st gens. Drill holes through the tail section and bolts with spacers to the rear subframe.
I just noticed that double entendre's problem that I linked to before is also on a Gen I. Doesn't that rear bolt I am looking at in mscott's photo also bolt the grab bars to the rear subframe? I would think that would put the grab bars in tension. I thought the issue with the cracked rear subframes, ie Iggy, was from removing the grab bar altogether.

I suppose that is somewhat correct. Yes, it does go through the rearmost hole in the stock rack. Si I guess you would pick up some amount of tension restraint from the grab handles. But intuitively it seems like the brunt of the weight will be borne by the 3 mounting points under. Then again (thinking out loud) the only significant difference with the preferred GIVI metal frame rack is that it is welded together into a single piece.

Hmmmm....

Actually I think I liked the yellow filter better,,, :rolleyes:

The trunk and the frame set -up looks good,,,

the harassment about the filter is just that,,,, good nature harassment,,,

And the "while you're down there" comment ,,,,, you'll fit right in around here... :yahoo:

I suppose that is somewhat correct. Yes, it does go through the rearmost hole in the stock rack. Si I guess you would pick up some amount of tension restraint from the grab handles. But intuitively it seems like the brunt of the weight will be borne by the 3 mounting points under. Then again (thinking out loud) the only significant difference with the preferred GIVI metal frame rack is that it is welded together into a single piece.
Hmmmm....
As I said before I have quite a few miles on my '06 with a Shad topcase that has been loaded. Makes wonder if this is generation issue or if I have been lucky to date.

Well I ran out of CS. But no, I just used foil to mask the engine and shot it where it sits. Think I'll go back and edit first post and use the painted filter pic so everyone that sees it for the first time will wonder what the hell all these guys are talking about with the filter... :yahoo:
You know what, Patriot? Sometimes I'm a little "slow", but I think you may be "testing" my anal retentiveness??? I am pretty Anal sometimes, but at least I didn't pull the filter to paint it CS....

LOL, ROTFLMAO, ETC...

I'm in edit, so I have no smilies to show I'm kidding....But I AM kidding.
Anal, I'm not anal, just diagnosed by the AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) with OCD... <have to agree with her>

now back to business...you DID purchase or have the third lock which comes with ya bike and it IS keyed the same as the side bags and ignition :rolleyes:

...if not, GET ON IT and report back here that it's done... :yahoo:

Anal or OCD people wash their bike and dont mount horns outside the fairing on their sliders!!

Just sayin!