Jane's New Bike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donna and I had dinner last night at GSJane and SkooterG's house in North Scottsdale at Troon Village.

And, I got to ride a new BMW F650GS twin for the first time! GSJane graciously let me take her new baby around the subdivision. She told me to take it out on the highway, but my riding gear was a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals; I recommend ATGATT and I should practice what I preach, but I wanted to ride.

Spent 15 minutes on the bike on asphalt and was tempted to run it on the dirt, but GSJane has it shining clean! But, there is now no doubt in my mind: a silver 2009 BMW F650GS Twin for Chuy M. muy pronto!!!

The bike has Batopilas, Real de Catorce, Haul Road, Baja California and the Dempster Highway written all over it. Greg has already outfitted it with crash bars, large windshield and is looking for a bash plate.

Wow, and what a dinner! I knew Jane was a great cook and wine connoisseur, but I was surprised at what a great chef SkooterG is! GregM made the best Caesar salad I have ever had. Bon appetit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooooooo........ SkooterG!!!!

Got a quick question for you, mang.... keeping this picture in mind here.....

DeliveryDay9.jpg

How about giving us an update on Jane's splendid new BMW? Anything new or interesting to report? ;)

It must be a lot more reliable than those OTHER beemers without a chain drive... right?
poke.gif

RIGHT?!!! :lol:

How about giving us an update on Jane's splendid new BMW? Anything new or interesting to report? ;)
It must be a lot more reliable than those OTHER beemers without a chain drive... right?
poke.gif

RIGHT?!!! :lol:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................SHUT UP ya old 50 year old FART!!!

:****:

joke ? I think it starts with a B & ends with a W . . .

Seriously, She looks very good on it & with it a bit lower, would be very comfortable for Her. Ya Ya, JMO to be sure . . .

***SIGH***

Jane's addiction - her new pride and joy, sits at BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County in Newbury Park, CA, UNFIT to ride. It was towed there from the hotel in Goleta we were staying at for twowheelnut's memorial service.

Freaking POS German kraut krap!!! Only 1200 miles on the odometer. Just over 600 when we left for the trip.

Here's what I faxed to the dealer this morning:

- 600 mile service completed on 9/25/08 by BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale. (Purchasing dealer) No problems with the motorcycle up to this point.
- On 9/26, departed from Scottsdale for Santa Barbara, CA. Approximately 150 miles into the trip, the bike’s engine just cut off while riding steady down interstate 10. Previous to this, there were several times where it momentarily lost power, but kept running. On the first episode that the engine quit, it would initially not start. Engine would crank, but it would not start. Finally, it did start a few times and would idle, but as soon as throttle was opened at all it would die again. After repeated attempts, engine finally started and took throttle. Rode 4 more miles and it died again. After repeated attempts, it started and we were able to get it to a gas station less than a mile away.

- After fueling, we continued trip. Bike ran fine for approximately 20 miles, than the engine cut out again several times over the next 30 miles. During all times, bike was being rode at a steady 75mph or so when engine would just quit.

- After stopping for lunch, bike was ridden 60 miles or so to Brown Motor Works in Pomona, CA. During this 60 miles there were several occurrences where bike would bog, or lose power, but the engine never cut out. At Brown Motor Works, no fault codes were found. They did perform an update of ‘BMS-KP software to CIP 12.0 status.’

- Bike was then ridden 70 miles or so to night’s destination to Santa Clarita, CA with no issues. The following morning, bike was ridden 90 or so miles to Goleta, CA with no issues.

- On 9/27, bike was then ridden another 60 miles or so when the engine cut out again. This was traveling at a steady 60mph or so. 2-3 miles later it cut out again. A few miles later we stopped for lunch. After lunch, bike would not start. Engine would crank, but it would not start. This continued for approximately 40 minutes with numerous attempts to start. Finally, it did start and idle, but as soon as throttle was applied it died. After several more minutes and attempts, bike started again and idled. Twice, I ‘goosed’ the throttle and engine would ‘bog’ and almost die, but stayed running and would idle. After letting it idle for several minutes, it finally would accept throttle.

- Bike was ridden 65 miles back to our hotel in Goleta, CA. After the first 40 miles or so running fine, it died 3 times during the last 25 miles or so. Two of these times, the bike was restarted while coasting down on the shoulder by pulling in the clutch and activating the starter. The third time, it did not start right away. Took approximately 1 minute of attempts at cranking before a restart..

Upon arrival at hotel in Goleta, wrecker was called and bike was towed to BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County due to the unsafe condition.
Needless to say, it's been a disappointing week BMW-wise. Jane had a stressful ride, just waiting for that thing to cut out. Especially on I-10 in LA traffic. I was NOT going to let her do that again on the way home. So she rode the 111 degree desert hell ride two-up with me. Beemerdons transported the extra luggage we could no longer carry from her bike.

Unfortunately, due to the absence of any error codes, and the transient and intermittent nature of the problem, I am fairly pesimistic of the dealer fixing anythnig anytime soon. Hope I am wrong about that one.

What a bummer. Even though this is her bike, this is really souring my first experience with BMW and perhaps ending my intentions of one day having an R1200GS in my garage.

I am going to try and get BMW to pay for the transportation of the bike back to Scottsdale once 'fixed'. We'll see how that goes.

I can imagine the disappointment. This really begs for wise-ass suggestions about shoulda-coulda-woulda just purchased an FZ6, but I will refrain since ya'll probably ain't in the mood. But, when your spirits are better, let me know so I can crack on your cool-aid sippin asses.

That's some major suckage right dere... hope you figure out what's wrong Skoot...

Well damn that just sucks! sorry Jane keep your head up it will eventually get sorted out.

I hate when shit like that happens with something new. your all excited then bam disappointment.

But, when your spirits are better, let me know so I can crack on your cool-aid sippin asses.
Completely excellent! :lol:

Well, 'tis a bummer without a doubt, and disappointing for Jane, to be sure. I would have thought the software update was a fixer, but obviously not. Would be sweet if the fix was something as simple as a kinked hose.

363396704_zGjL7-L.jpg

Depending on what the "fix" entails (or causes you to endure), you might want to cut your losses early... just drop back 10, and punt! :D

Good reading, Neil in SD ! Thanks for the link. Sounds like a good direction as this is very very like the symptons Jane has. She sure kept Her head well, I would've been beside myself & totally spun out . . .She's a Kool one even with the Aid injested.

Skoot, Be sure and document the near fatal aspect of this when it was happening in traffic with the BMW peeps . . .

Sorry Jane/Skooter, they will get it sorted out and all will be well. I am still in the Honeymoon stage with my GS Adventure. I am very happy with my bike so far. It really fits me well...

Think positive you BMW bashing nazi Yamaha riders... All is well... Everything will be okay....

Ride safe!! :rolleyes: Smitty

..I would have thought the software update was a fixer, but obviously not...
One other thing to thing consider, is that they can do the software upgrade two different ways. The quick-easy way is to add the 12.0 upgrade to what's already there. The more involved way is to wipe the old software and completely install the new version. Some folks on the 800 board believe that the full wipe+new version is the only way to fix the software screwups.

(not trying to butt in here, but we have a F800 St in the garage so I've been keeping a close eye on these issues)

Just when Jane was doing so well learning new skills on the twisty roads! It seems she is a full time motorcyclist with a part-time bike.

BUT, if she loves it, she loves it. Let's hope they can get it repaired so she can ride it without any issues.