John Ryan Attempts "Ultimate Coast to Coast"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely crazy! Think he would give me lessons on how to ride an FJR in mud? Iggy said he's a different kind of animal.... different breed anyway; in another era he'd be a mountainman fighting natives and the wilderness...

Man, he is going to go right past my house. I would love to blow off work this afternoon and try to intercept him on the road. Fooking work once again ruining my life.

Shhhh....be very quiet. John's SPOT appears to be still....he's probably sleeping.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php...6308&page=5 Ignacio, very nice post in #63 from Paul Glaves on John's Run for the Record. I know that you are personal friends of Voni and Paul, two very wonderful long distance riders!

There has been some grousing from the BMWMOA "Dinosaurs" regarding the clamor about John riding an FJR in this attempt.

But, Paul set them straight with his post: John Ryan is a long time very active BMW Motorcycle Owners Association Member!

Looks like a 3hr power nap just east of Minneapolis, he's on the move again!

Go John Go!

Shhhh....be very quiet. John's SPOT appears to be still....he's probably sleeping.
...apparently in the left lane of I-94....not in any sort of rest area. Hope the truckers are nice...avoid him and don't wake him up with their horns. ;)
No kidding.. maybe in the field to the right?
JohnRyan.jpg

Edit - he's moving again.. Wonder if the two Beemer screws in the windshield caused some technical issues? :unsure:

...apparently in the left lane of I-94....not in any sort of rest area. Hope the truckers are nice...avoid him and don't wake him up with their horns. ;)
No kidding.. maybe in the field to the right?
JohnRyan.jpg

Edit - he's moving again.. Wonder if the two Beemer screws in the windshield caused some technical issues? :unsure:
Well dcarver, I now know who's bunk is going to be short sheeted soon up in Nakusp, British Columbia at Canadian FJR Rally

I don't think that was a rest stop. Seems he got moving again and stopped again. Long food break?

BTW, he's just a few miles from our first nights stop on the way to CFR.. Chippewa Falls.

How often does the SPOT update? I checked it about 35 min. apart, and there is no movement on the map.
It tries to report every 10 minutes if you've actuated the "Spot Tracking" mode. Sometimes it will skip a report or few, but if you look at previous markers they tend to be on multiples of 10 minutes.

I can't access the BMW forum linked above....they would be more current than this derivative site.

Several possibilities:

• SPOT Tracking has expired. You have to press the button every 24 hours to turn the mode back on.
  • He's stopped and SPOT doesn't have clear view of the sky. Could be to rest again, could be an issue.
  • Battery dead...pretty slim chance. I'm sure he started fresh with Lithium and they last for 14+ days continuous use.
  • He's turned it off.

Iggy: Here is what was posted ten minutes ago:

"Ominous: Unless his tracker is lying, something is clearly wrong. He's moved but 35 miles in the last 5.5 hours, and even before that he has stopped for 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson, 2.75 hours in Edmonton, and 2.5 hours in Minot. What last night looked like a walk in the park is quickly turning into a slog through a minefield. Bob Higdon"

Let's just hope it's his SPOT lying. Maybe with all the coverage that's seemed to "leak" out he's decided it's best to not use the SPOT.

Iggy: Here is what was posted ten minutes ago:
"Ominous: Unless his tracker is lying, something is clearly wrong. He's moved but 35 miles in the last 5.5 hours, and even before that he has stopped for 3.5 hours in Fort Nelson, 2.75 hours in Edmonton, and 2.5 hours in Minot. What last night looked like a walk in the park is quickly turning into a slog through a minefield. Bob Higdon"
Thanks for the relay. Damn corporate firewalls. :)

[crossed fingers]

I'm crossing my fingers he forgot to reset Track Spotting. The scenario in my mind is he took a very plausible 3 hour nap under a tree or structure that the unit couldn't reach satellites, got up and beeped once about 10 or 20 minutes later, and then the 24 hour limit kicked in. He's riding hard and isn't missing that that occasional blinking light on the edge of his peripheral vision (assuming he even has it mounted up front). He'll then remember all of a sudden this afternoon or evening this time and we'll see him jump another state suddenly back on schedule....maybe slogging through Chicago traffic.

I've done this before myself (not too far from Chicago in the SPANK 2008 rally) and the SPOT isn't even close to the center of your universe when you've got your fangs out. ;)

[/crossed fingers]

THAT is just too funny! :rofl:

(Hopefully not ominous)

Hoping the Spot tracker is off.

Sportster

SWEET! The SPOT must have been having trouble. He is in Central IL.

Or I think he is. There are no reports from one point to where the "I am Here" icon now shows up.