John Ryan Attempts "Ultimate Coast to Coast"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWEET! The SPOT must have been having trouble. He is in Central IL.
Or I think he is. There are no reports from one point to where the "I am Here" icon now shows up.
Cool!

That makes me feel better....plus it means he's even improving his speed average from the last point!

SWEET! The SPOT must have been having trouble. He is in Central IL.
Or I think he is. There are no reports from one point to where the "I am Here" icon now shows up.
TriggerT: Josh Metzger, BMW MOA Forum Moderator, just reported he has passed Bloomington, Illinois. So, all looks good!!!

Dimbulbs are everywhere. From the BMWMOA

Why hasn't anyone else on this thread questioned whether or not this is a safe activity? I don't think it is. I don't think anyone should sanction or glorify this kind of riding. If he breaks the record, then someone else will try to break his record, and so on until someone gets killed or kills someone.
Do you want to be on the same highway as someone who has ridden 5,000+ miles in 96 hours?

Stevadoo
WTF? This guy has ONE POST!!! A mole possibly? Some Do-Gooder out to spoil it all?

Asshole......

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF? This guy has ONE POST!!! A mole possibly? Some Do-Gooder out to spoil it all?
Can I please make a request that this quote and discussion stay over there.....and not spill over here........pretty please? Thanks in advance. ;)

SPOT Tracking has expired. You have to press the button every 24 hours to turn the mode back on.
Never knew that, thanks.

and it's GREAT to see the icon move across the map.. Sure better than watching Windoze progress bars!

How many hours has he been on the road now?
Click on the last icon on the map and first icon. Subtract and you get the time on the road. It's about 65-66 hours at the time of this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just amazing stuff! I can't imagine it. I do 48 hour ham radio contests but the only thing that happens if I fall asleep is that I fall out of the chair and wake up when I hit the floor going zero miles an hour!

Question for you IBA guys. What would he be doing for food. You gotta keep the body stoked with energy to keep the brain working. I know about keeping hydrated and all, but what kind of riding food is good?

Cheers and go johnny go!

Fred

Question for you IBA guys. What would he be doing for food. You gotta keep the body stoked with energy to keep the brain working. I know about keeping hydrated and all, but what kind of riding food is good?
It would probably be nearly exclusive to what I carried on the bike for this type of run. I eat jerky and trail mix (I have a combination of fruits, nuts, granola, and M&Ms I like) while on the bike. Some hard candies to suck on once in a while (cinnamon things, life savers, etc.)

To splurge is to go Jared style and eat a Subway with full veggies....ideally one without a line and part of a gas station. That way hydration refill and and personally biological things can happen while at the same place.

Can I please make a request that this quote and discussion stay over there.....and not spill over here........pretty please? Thanks in advance. ;)
Roger Iggy! No problem! I can sure see where it would go in the ditch

GO JOHN!!!!!!!

Latest from Bob Higdon, 5 minutes ago: 0806 EDT 64.8 mph, 1236 EDT 60.8 & 1752 EDT 62.5. Done deal: According to BH.
Ick.....I can't believe Higdon would jinx something like that!

Owen, 2005, Elko, BMW Clutch.....need I say more?

John's not out of the woods yet. I wouldn't start chilling the champagne until he clears Miami.

This is just amazing stuff! I can't imagine it. I do 48 hour ham radio contests but the only thing that happens if I fall asleep is that I fall out of the chair and wake up when I hit the floor going zero miles an hour!Question for you IBA guys. What would he be doing for food. You gotta keep the body stoked with energy to keep the brain working. I know about keeping hydrated and all, but what kind of riding food is good?

Cheers and go johnny go!

Fred
John filled in for a MIA speaker at the Very Boring Rally. He and a few others talked LD riding and told Iron Butt Rally stories. He mentioned that he's diabetic so watching his diet is of even greater importance than most folks. The UCC is a monster ride and John is doing it with minimal assistance and a meager budget.

His average speed on the Haul Road <shaking head> This could be the stuff of legends.

Go John, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would probably be nearly exclusive to what I carried on the bike for this type of run. I eat jerky and trail mix (I have a combination of fruits, nuts, granola, and M&Ms I like) while on the bike. Some hard candies to suck on once in a while (cinnamon things, life savers, etc.)

To splurge is to go Jared style and eat a Subway with full veggies....ideally one without a line and part of a gas station. That way hydration refill and and personally biological things can happen while at the same place.

Sounds awfully healthy.....

Gas Buildup :lol: