Just great...Shoei comes out with a new helmet!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found a good comfortable modular, and that's my Multitec. I added the Pinlock shield later, at extra cost, of course, so that alone mostly justifies the higher cost of this one, I'd say. I like the improved ventilation system, and if it's lighter and quieter than the Multitec, that would be great too.

About the only thing I'd rate mine down for is the lack of what they call the "chin curtain" in the Neotec video. My Scorpion Exo900 has that feature (removable) and it makes a huge difference in cold weather. With the Multitec, lots more cold air blows up on my chin and face. I also like the Neotec's breath shield. When I get around to replacing, I'll definitely be looking this way.
Both my Multitecs came with a Chin Curtain. :rolleyes:
Hmmmm. Do tell! I bought mine (just barely) used here on the forum, and I don't see anyplace the curtain would snap or velcro in, so I assumed it just wasn't an option. Now I've got to see if I can get one from the manufacturer or a dealer. Good to know, thanks.

BTW, that snap down sun visor is no big benefit IMO. If it's sunny, I'm wearing sunglasses. And if the sun is low and in my eyes, I use the cheapest and best solution--a strip of blue painter's tape across the top edge of the shield. Lasts till I pull it off, leaves no residue, and blocks the sun. A dark visor or sunglasses only reduce the direct sun from being 100 times too bright down to being 75 times too bright. Looks cheap, is cheap, and I don't care. I am cheap. :p
Here is cheap-ass Mike...painter tape shield and $1000 auxiliary lights.

EbbettsPass061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally found a good comfortable modular, and that's my Multitec. I added the Pinlock shield later, at extra cost, of course, so that alone mostly justifies the higher cost of this one, I'd say. I like the improved ventilation system, and if it's lighter and quieter than the Multitec, that would be great too.

About the only thing I'd rate mine down for is the lack of what they call the "chin curtain" in the Neotec video. My Scorpion Exo900 has that feature (removable) and it makes a huge difference in cold weather. With the Multitec, lots more cold air blows up on my chin and face. I also like the Neotec's breath shield. When I get around to replacing, I'll definitely be looking this way.
Both my Multitecs came with a Chin Curtain. :rolleyes:
Hmmmm. Do tell! I bought mine (just barely) used here on the forum, and I don't see anyplace the curtain would snap or velcro in, so I assumed it just wasn't an option. Now I've got to see if I can get one from the manufacturer or a dealer. Good to know, thanks.

BTW, that snap down sun visor is no big benefit IMO. If it's sunny, I'm wearing sunglasses. And if the sun is low and in my eyes, I use the cheapest and best solution--a strip of blue painter's tape across the top edge of the shield. Lasts till I pull it off, leaves no residue, and blocks the sun. A dark visor or sunglasses only reduce the direct sun from being 100 times too bright down to being 75 times too bright. Looks cheap, is cheap, and I don't care. I am cheap. :p
I'd give the guy you bought it from a Holla. The Chin Curtain comes with ALL MultiTecs. It's probably sitting in a box in his garage. It attaches beautifully with a Snap In system that works great!

It will not fall out of there even if the worst happens! :clapping:

Nice. About time they *finally* caught up to all the competition with the sun visor. I have always had Shoei helmets around. Excellent helmets. The problem is their extreme cost. These days I wear HJC helmets mostly, my preference being the IS-Max. Hard to pony up the $$$$ for Shoei when I can buy the IS-Max for $165 (with pinlock included) and just get a new one every other year or so.

Someday I'll get a Neotec but it won't be anytime soon.

Nice! I wonder if the sunscreen is dark enough. That's the complaint I hear about most of the lids with built in sunscreen - that its not dark enough.
sunshade visors are under the same DOT restrictions as window tinting...by law they can't be darker than they are currently

none of the sunshade visors are very dark...the market has asked for it and if it was legal, the helmet manufacturers would have done so by now

On very cloudy days, I wear clear safety glasses. If/when the sun occassionally peaks out even high in the sky, I can drop the sun shield to lower the glare.

I see no information about safety testing or certifications (SNELL, DOT, etc...). Do you?
I don't think SNELL will certify a flip front helmet, will they?? I've never read of one.
there's a valid argument that the Snell testing/certification requires the helmet to be too "hard" for most of the impacts the usual motorcyclists would suffer. Most of our impacts are low speed or falling from 5 feet at parking lot speeds or a stop of which a DOT only softer helmet protects better tranferring less G's.

But that's a discussion for another thread from the past or in the future.

there's a valid argument that the Snell testing/certification requires the helmet to be too "hard" for most of the impacts the usual motorcyclists would suffer. Most of our impacts are low speed or falling from 5 feet at parking lot speeds or a stop of which a DOT only softer helmet protects better tranferring less G's.

I have a Shoei RF1100 which is DOT and Snell. I don't think it is materials, it is the modular design. Even Schuberth modulars do not get the Snell approval.

Regarding comments on cost, I got the RF1100 in the Monolith Graphic last summer on closeout for $319. Shoei helmets can be a great deal when they discontinue a graphic, but buying when they first come on the market is virtually a lock that you'll pay full price.

What? No High Vis color other than OMY or white? :unsure:
Watch the video, they did flash a yellow helmet somewhere in there. It may not be available on the website at this time. Seems like false advertising to me.

Nice helmet anyway.

Dave

I'd give the guy you bought [your helmet] from a Holla. The Chin Curtain comes with ALL MultiTecs. It's probably sitting in a box in his garage. It attaches beautifully with a Snap In system that works great!
They're only $7 all over the internet, but everyplace I checked wants more than that to put it in an envelope and send it off. Probably takes an extra stamp. :angry2: I even called Cycle Gear here in town. They don't stock it, but would order it. And even THEY want the $7 shipping fee. Like they couldn't include one in the next regular truckload they bring in from Shoei. Well, I'll find one someplace. And I don't remember who I bought it from.

To the guy I bought it from: How about sending me the Chin Curtain? I'll send you a SASE. :)

On very cloudy days, I wear clear safety glasses. If/when the sun occassionally peaks out even high in the sky, I can drop the sun shield to lower the glare.

I see no information about safety testing or certifications (SNELL, DOT, etc...). Do you?
I don't think SNELL will certify a flip front helmet, will they?? I've never read of one.

Patriot,

Yes, I've read several articles including the "infamous" article by Mr. Thom for Motorcyclist magazine, re: the DOT, SNELL, and ECE standards. However, I don't think "hardness" has anything to do with why SNELL won't certify flip fronts. I think it has to do with the helmets ability to maintain its structure in a severe frontal impact. I.E. I think the flip front fails sometimes. I've read enough about it to know I won't buy one. BUT you are right in that this is a discussion for another thread, and there's no intent to hijack this one. "nuf said!

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for the heads up! Good looking helmet and my melon loves the Shoei fit.

My MultiTec is getting a little long in the tooth, might have to take a look at this one.

--G

...there's a valid argument that the Snell testing/certification requires the helmet to be too "hard" for most of the impacts the usual motorcyclists would suffer. Most of our impacts are low speed or falling from 5 feet at parking lot speeds or a stop of which a DOT only softer helmet protects better tranferring less G's.

Patriot,

Yes, I've read several articles including the "infamous" article by Mr. Thom for Motorcyclist magazine, re: the DOT, SNELL, and ECE standards. However, I don't think "hardness" has anything to do with why SNELL won't certify flip fronts. I think it has to do with the helmets ability to maintain its structure in a severe frontal impact. I.E. I think the flip front fails sometimes.
Not according to Snell. On their web site FAQs, they claim to have never even tested one, which means that the manufacturers have not submitted any to them for certification for some reason. Excerpt below:

Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs?
Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in its standards. We are, however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases helmet's potential to cause injury.
At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification.
We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.

Watch the video, they did flash a yellow helmet somewhere in there. It may not be available on the website at this time. Seems like false advertising to me.

I think that one is OMY. Pretty eye catching but not as much as the Day Glo colors IMO.

I will stick with my Shark Evoline helmet. They meet both DOT and ECE testing requirements. I like my head to stay just the way it is.

I'd give the guy you bought [your helmet] from a Holla. The Chin Curtain comes with ALL MultiTecs. It's probably sitting in a box in his garage. It attaches beautifully with a Snap In system that works great!
They're only $7 all over the internet, but everyplace I checked wants more than that to put it in an envelope and send it off. Probably takes an extra stamp. :angry2: I even called Cycle Gear here in town. They don't stock it, but would order it. And even THEY want the $7 shipping fee. Like they couldn't include one in the next regular truckload they bring in from Shoei. Well, I'll find one someplace. And I don't remember who I bought it from.

To the guy I bought it from: How about sending me the Chin Curtain? I'll send you a SASE. :)

Mike, PM me your address I'll put a chin curtain in the mail for ya.

Came off this face planted helmet without damage to the chin curtain.

DSCN0152.jpg

...there's a valid argument that the Snell testing/certification requires the helmet to be too "hard" for most of the impacts the usual motorcyclists would suffer. Most of our impacts are low speed or falling from 5 feet at parking lot speeds or a stop of which a DOT only softer helmet protects better tranferring less G's.

Patriot,

Yes, I've read several articles including the "infamous" article by Mr. Thom for Motorcyclist magazine, re: the DOT, SNELL, and ECE standards. However, I don't think "hardness" has anything to do with why SNELL won't certify flip fronts. I think it has to do with the helmets ability to maintain its structure in a severe frontal impact. I.E. I think the flip front fails sometimes.
Not according to Snell. On their web site FAQs, they claim to have never even tested one, which means that the manufacturers have not submitted any to them for certification for some reason. Excerpt below:

Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs?
Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in its standards. We are, however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases helmet's potential to cause injury.
At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification.
We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.

I think that one is OMY. Pretty eye catching but not as much as the Day Glo colors IMO.
Fred W,

Yes, thanks for reminding and correcting me to the fact that manufacturers must submit their helmets to SNELL for testing. Of course, given that SNELL certification seems to be an important selling "point" in the US, it begs the question as to why such manufacturers won't submit their flip front helmets?

Thanks again, Bob

I think this might shed some light on the subject...seems that the main differences are shock absorbent vs shock resistance.

DOT – An acronym for Department of Transport, DOT is the is US government approved standard and, in the United States, is the most popular. DOT standards are aimed at protecting skulls from 90% of impact types ( low to moderate energy impacts according to the HURT Report) and favours a more shock-absorbent helmet. The maximum G-force allowed by the DOT test is 250g’s, an impact of 200 to 250 g’s to the head would result in a severe, though probably survivable brain injury (the DOT anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The DOT’s favouritism towards more shock-absorbent helmets seems to fall inline with recent studies indicating that absorbing the force of an impact is more important than resisting the impact.

Snell – The Snell Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit, independent organisation established in 1957 and is named after William “Pete” Snell, a famous racing car driver who was tragically killed in 1956 when a helmet failed to protect his head during an accident. The Snell M2005 is the “old standard” and favours a more shock-resistant helmet, the M2010 is the new, more shock-absorbent standard. The Snell M2005 test allows an impact-shock of up to 300g’s, a 250 to 300g impact would result in a critical head injury. The M2010 standard allows a maximum of 275g’s (the Snell anvil is a steel ball shaped rather like a tennis ball, they also test with flat and “kerb” shaped anvils). The Snell M2005 standard is widely believed to be too “hard”, the newer M2010 is set to replace it completely in 2013, the M2010 standard favours more impact-absorbent helmets and a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn’t guaranteed). Snell certified helmets are allowed by the AMA for professional motorcycle racing however the M2005 standard will no longer be permitted after 2011.

ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.

I hope this isn't a complete hijack, since it refers to Shoei customer service, and it's a Shoei helmet that started all this. I mentioned the missing chin curtain on my Multitec--and thanks, Karl, for your kind offer--but I thought to email Shoei customer service back when I was thinking about this a day or two ago, and they've replied that they're sending me a replacement chin curtain for no charge. Good going, Shoei!

I'm going to wait until I have a chance to try one on. I normally wear an Arai which seems to provide a better fit for the shape of my head but I'm willing to try one since I need a new helmet soon.

my first helmet was a Shuberth modular. Second was a Shoei RF-1000. Losing the modular aspect gained me noticeably less weight, a lot quieter ride and less expense in buying the lid. I was always getting my glasses hung up putting on the Shuberth anyways so even that limited benefit was lost. Probably still going to replace the impact damaged RF1000 with a new 1100. I don't do enough ridin' while snackin' to justify a flip-face I guess :p

I hope this isn't a complete hijack, since it refers to Shoei customer service, and it's a Shoei helmet that started all this. I mentioned the missing chin curtain on my Multitec--and thanks, Karl, for your kind offer--but I thought to email Shoei customer service back when I was thinking about this a day or two ago, and they've replied that they're sending me a replacement chin curtain for no charge. Good going, Shoei!
Way to Go Airboss! That was a Solid thing to do. And Shoei's Customer Support is as Great as their Helmets! :yahoo: