Just great...Shoei comes out with a new helmet!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dream, almost nightly, of a Shark Evoline Series 2. Rated ECE R 22/05,

DOT FMVSS 218 USA/Canada, in the closed AND open position if I'm not mistaken. Only problem is they are impossible to find anywhere to try one on. So maybe this new Shoei is an alternative. Here's a link to the Shark if anyone's interested. And if anyone knows where I can try one on in so cal, please chime in.

Shark Evoline Series S2

DOT FMVSS 218 USA/Canada, in the closed AND open position if I'm not mistaken. Only problem is they are impossible to find anywhere to try one on. So maybe this new Shoei is an alternative. Here's a link to the Shark if anyone's interested. And if anyone knows where I can try one on in so cal, please chime in.

Shark Evoline Series S2
I think the concept of the Shark Evoline is great. My problem is they are very heavy and they don't fit my Shoei shaped head. Our local law enforcement motorcycle guys get to choose what helmet they want to wear, and I have seen at least one of them wear the Shark Evoline. FYI they are dumping the BMW's and going to Connies.

We have a local Yamaha dealership (Snake River Yamaha) that carries the Shark line. It may be a bit out of your way but you are always welcome to enjoy the wonders of Idaho.

I was just at the Sacramento Cycle Gear store - they had lots of them. I'd imagine the L.A. Stores would have plenty, too. I tried one on, looks like a good quality helmet, but too heavy, IMHO.

I think this might shed some light on the subject...seems that the main differences are shock absorbent vs shock resistance.

DOT – An acronym for Department of Transport, DOT is the is US government approved standard and, in the United States, is the most popular. DOT standards are aimed at protecting skulls from 90% of impact types ( low to moderate energy impacts according to the HURT Report) and favours a more shock-absorbent helmet. The maximum G-force allowed by the DOT test is 250g's, an impact of 200 to 250 g's to the head would result in a severe, though probably survivable brain injury (the DOT anvil is either flat or "kerb shaped" depending on the test). The DOT's favouritism towards more shock-absorbent helmets seems to fall inline with recent studies indicating that absorbing the force of an impact is more important than resisting the impact.

Snell – The Snell Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit, independent organisation established in 1957 and is named after William "Pete" Snell, a famous racing car driver who was tragically killed in 1956 when a helmet failed to protect his head during an accident. The Snell M2005 is the "old standard" and favours a more shock-resistant helmet, the M2010 is the new, more shock-absorbent standard. The Snell M2005 test allows an impact-shock of up to 300g's, a 250 to 300g impact would result in a critical head injury. The M2010 standard allows a maximum of 275g's (the Snell anvil is a steel ball shaped rather like a tennis ball, they also test with flat and "kerb" shaped anvils). The Snell M2005 standard is widely believed to be too "hard", the newer M2010 is set to replace it completely in 2013, the M2010 standard favours more impact-absorbent helmets and a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn't guaranteed). Snell certified helmets are allowed by the AMA for professional motorcycle racing however the M2005 standard will no longer be permitted after 2011.

ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g's (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or "kerb shaped" depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it's wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.
Thanks Jay for that distillation of the differences...

Shark Evoline Series S2
I think the concept of the Shark Evoline is great. My problem is they are very heavy and they don't fit my Shoei shaped head. Our local law enforcement motorcycle guys get to choose what helmet they want to wear, and I have seen at least one of them wear the Shark Evoline. FYI they are dumping the BMW's and going to Connies.

We have a local Yamaha dealership (Snake River Yamaha) that carries the Shark line. It may be a bit out of your way but you are always welcome to enjoy the wonders of Idaho.
I stayed in Idaho a couple years ago at place called "The River Runs Through it" lodge. Just outside of Yellowstone. It was beautiful!

Does anyone know the weight? I didn't see it listed in the specs. And is it true that on some helmets with drop down visors you can't wear prescription glasses because it hits them?

Does anyone know the weight? I didn't see it listed in the specs. And is it true that on some helmets with drop down visors you can't wear prescription glasses because it hits them?
It weighs in at approx. 1680 gr. = 3#/11oz. in size Med.

As far as the drop down visor hitting glasses...you can bet on it.

....speaking of DOT vs Snell...when I pulled off my Shoei Qwest this morning at work, I noticed that it is both DOT and SNELL approved. Hadn't noticed it before. Don't know the status of other Shoei helmets.

....speaking of DOT vs Snell...when I pulled off my Shoei Qwest this morning at work, I noticed that it is both DOT and SNELL approved. Hadn't noticed it before. Don't know the status of other Shoei helmets.
I think most Snell approved helmets would also be DOT approved. However they probably won't make ECE, (due to the hardness factor). That may be different with the Snell 2011 certification, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wear glasses with my Shark and have no problems at all with it hitting it. I rarely if ever notice the weight but I have worn them since they came out with the first one. I truly like the safety ratings as compared to other modular helmets that only meet DOT.

I think most Snell approved helmets would also be DOT approved. However they probably won't make ECE, (due to the hardness factor). That may be different with the Snell 2011 certification, though.
A helmet has to be DOT approved to be legally sold in the United States. Therefore, a helmet with Snell certification will also be DOT approved.

All Flip-Up Face helmets are DOT approved and none of them are Snell certified.

According to the Snell Memorial Foundation website, Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in its standards. We are, however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases helmet's potential to cause injury. At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.

My HJC helmets' visors don't hit my sunglasses when down.

You know, I like my Multitec but I was able to get that helmet for about $350 many years ago. As much as I would love this new Neotec, for $600 it just is not going to happen. Too friggin expensive!

I can get an HJC IS-Max for $165 shipped that has the visor and a 'pinlock ready' face shield. And I know that it fits my head just about perfect and has big ear pockets so my ears don't get sore when wearing earbud speakers.

For crying out loud, I can get 3 of the HJC helmets for less than one Neotec! I'll just get a new one every two years. I really like Shoei helemts, but not that much.

HJC IS-Max helmet clicky.

I also don't drink the Shoei kool-aid, HJC is great quality at 1/4 the price, just minus a sticker and membership into the Shoei club.

You know, I like my Multitec but I was able to get that helmet for about $350 many years ago. As much as I would love this new Neotec, for $600 it just is not going to happen. Too friggin expensive!

I can get an HJC IS-Max for $165 shipped that has the visor and a 'pinlock ready' face shield. And I know that it fits my head just about perfect and has big ear pockets so my ears don't get sore when wearing earbud speakers.

For crying out loud, I can get 3 of the HJC helmets for less than one Neotec! I'll just get a new one every two years. I really like Shoei helemts, but not that much.

How does the IS-Max compare to the CL-Max? I've got a CL-Max (about 2-3 yrs old), but I find that it, like most HJCs I've tried, feels too "plasticy" and cheap on the interior, and it kinda rattles around on my head, even though it feels snug around my cheeks. Maybe I just have a Shoei head? :blink:

How does the IS-Max compare to the CL-Max? I've got a CL-Max (about 2-3 yrs old), but I find that it, like most HJCs I've tried, feels too "plasticy" and cheap on the interior, and it kinda rattles around on my head, even though it feels snug around my cheeks. Maybe I just have a Shoei head? :blink:
I have a Shoei head. I also have an HJC head. These are the only two brand of helmets I buy because they are the only ones I have found to give me a very comfortable fit.

I have a CL-Max too. Bought it as a spare for really cheap. I don' like it much. I don't know if the interior is any better or less 'plasticy' on the IS-Max, but the IS-Max sure feels like a much higher quality helmet to me. Of course it has the pull down sun shade that the CL doesn't, and I believe a removeable/washable liner. It ain't perfect, but I sure like it. My Sy-Max II doesn't quite fit as well as my IS-Max though still fits very good. What I really don't like about the SyMax II is the force required to life the chin part. It is too much and starts to rotate the entire helmet. Annoying.

My Sy-Max II will hit my heavy framed Ray Ban sunglasses when drop visor is down.

The other problem I have is getting the sunglasses to fit in the helmet and stay on the bridge of my nose. They want to float around.

If I wear thin wire frame glasses I have no problems at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Sy-Max II with all of it's features and it's hard to beat for the price.

With that said, Shoei helmets reek with quality, but you pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? No High Vis color other than OMY or white? :unsure:
new+shoei+colors.JPG