Just great...Shoei comes out with a new helmet!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? No High Vis color other than OMY or white? :unsure:
new+shoei+colors.JPG

Yes, the second from the right. That's the "Old Micheal Yellow" (OMY) that I've been talking about.

That is not bad for visibility and conspicuousness, nor is the white for that matter.

It's just surprizing that they haven't jumped on the Day Glo, Hi-Viz bandwagon.

Last edited by a moderator:
That figures... I finally break down and drop the prerequisite pictures of dead Presidents for a Multi-Tec and they upgrade the whole works. Oh well... absolutely love the Multi-Tec. For me, it's even less noisy than my RF-1100 and I can't tell much difference in weight either. I've owned the HJC and Scorpion modulars and the Shoei is hands down better than either - by a long ways...

As to the poster that said the HJC was the same minus the sticker... in the words of the ESPN Gameday Morning Crew - "Come on Man"! :lol:

I have a Syncrotec that I really liked, until somebody cut the straps to steal it off the bike, leaving just the buckle rings. So I bought another one. No, it's not whisper quiet or lighter than air, but it's very functional when you need to stop and talk to someone, or want to stop to buy gas or read a map or take a picture without the time lost from taking it off. I even bought the hi-viz orange shield for it, so if you see a silver helmet with an orange shield, that's me.

I have been wanting a new Multitec just because I think I deserve a new helmet. Now I want a Neotec instead. Especially after watching this 20-minute overview of the tiny design elements that go into the Neotec. It's the Honda CRV of helmets!

I rode with my yellow Neotec yesterday and I like it much better than HJC Symax II. It is definitely a luxury item and the Symax is much better bang for your buck. The quality is equivalent to my Arai helmets. Sun visor does go lower and did not hit my prescription glasses or my wiley-x sunglasses. Weight on kitchen scale XL Symax 3.84 pounds and L Neotec 4 pounds.

I rode with my yellow Neotec yesterday and I like it much better than HJC Symax II. It is definitely a luxury item and the Symax is much better bang for your buck. The quality is equivalent to my Arai helmets. Sun visor does go lower and did not hit my prescription glasses or my wiley-x sunglasses. Weight on kitchen scale XL Symax 3.84 pounds and L Neotec 4 pounds.
I think for FJR rider purposes, helmet weight is an overblown qualification. I think weight is much more important on a sport bike, where you are riding in a tucked position and your neck is straining to hold your head/helmet up. For our riding position, the weight is much more centered, and our necks dont have anywhere near the strain level. Weight is a minor concern of mine when it comes to picking a helmet.
bike.gif

I agree, Jay.

Aerodynamics seems to have a more significant effect on neck fatigue than the difference of a few ounces of helmet weight at the end of a long day.

I received my Nolan N-104 from Revzilla last week and have had a few chances to wear it. Seattle has had a couple of nice days recently. the Nolan has the best vision of any helmet I have ever worn, the Shoei Qwest I tried on seemed to have pretty good visibility also, maybe as good as the Nolan. the N-104 is quiet, visor sealss tightly against rain, the sun visor seemed a bit short but I found after using it for awhile that it works very well. The modular release is a two button operation that I have yet to master with gloves on but overall I am very happy with the helmet. Cab Yellos isn't hi-viz but it does stand out.

The Nolan replaces a Gen 1 Bell Revolver which was hands down the worst helmet I have ever owned. Noisy, most of the rubber molding was held on by duct tape within a month of owning it, the rubber seal that the top of the visor supposedly seals against tore at about month three, leaked like a sieve in the rain and we get our share of it here. I bought it on sale to replace the HJC CL-16 that I gave a bad case of road rash to last in April 2012. I should have just bought another CL-16 at the time.

I received my Nolan N-104 from Revzilla last week and have had a few chances to wear it. Seattle has had a couple of nice days recently. the Nolan has the best vision of any helmet I have ever worn, the Shoei Qwest I tried on seemed to have pretty good visibility also, maybe as good as the Nolan. the N-104 is quiet, visor sealss tightly against rain, the sun visor seemed a bit short but I found after using it for awhile that it works very well. The modular release is a two button operation that I have yet to master with gloves on but overall I am very happy with the helmet. Cab Yellos isn't hi-viz but it does stand out.
The Nolan replaces a Gen 1 Bell Revolver which was hands down the worst helmet I have ever owned. Noisy, most of the rubber molding was held on by duct tape within a month of owning it, the rubber seal that the top of the visor supposedly seals against tore at about month three, leaked like a sieve in the rain and we get our share of it here. I bought it on sale to replace the HJC CL-16 that I gave a bad case of road rash to last in April 2012. I should have just bought another CL-16 at the time.
you think the release mechanism is hard to work with gloves, just wait until that little slide button that locks the helmet open mysteriously moves itself into lock position, and you're trying to close the lid, and flailing about with your gloved fingers trying to slide the damn thing down. Seems to happen to me about 2 or 3 times out of 10.
mda.gif

I bought the Wine Neotec at the DC bike show over the winter. Have my Cardo G4 already mounted. Can't wait for the weather to fully break in a week or so.

I demo the Neotec at the Euro Moto show when I test rode a bike, I really liked it, I had a hard time with the fit of the Schuberth.

The Hi-Viz Neotec is the Borealis...... at a premium price over the other colours. I'm waiting for a bargain to come along.

I'm a noob here, but I've got a lot of Shoei modular miles. I had a Multi for several years, and thought it the best helmet I'd ever owned. Quiet enough, easy shield changes, plush, room in the ear pockets for an Autocom headset. Tried the Neo on at the IMS in Charlotte Jan '12. Fit fine, plush, much nicer than the Schuberth, IMO. $$$$, but $$$ at the show price. Bought one.

Didn't like that there are no shield options, as I like a hi-rez shield in bad weather. Liked the sunshade,but it hazed up when the helmet was stored, so it had to be cleaned almost every ride. But the biggest thing is that the shell actually becomes smaller when you latch the chin bar, putting big pressure on my jaw. New cheekpads were $40+, or Shoei would tell you how to modify yours to get more space. So, at this point, I also decided that the size increase in the helmet overall was something else I didn't like.

The Neo is a great helmet, but I sold mine with less than 1K of use to get enough dosh to buy another Multitec when the price dropped this winter.

HTH!

I'm blown away by my new Neotech. So functional and flipping the lid up at the gas station instead of having to set it down is totally tits! I don't mind paying $600 for it either because paying less for all those features it would have to be half-assed. I was coming from a 1998 Arai w/2 crashes on it though...lol

1. Anybody have any (knowledgeable) comments on the optical quality of the drop down sunscreen on the NEO? Optical clarity is a BFD to me as the new generation of low profile light bars on cop cars is a lot harder to spot at a distance than the old fashioned “gumball dispensers”. I (briefly) had one of the early generation HJC SY-MAX’s and the sunscreen was so optically deplorable that I wouldn’t be able to spot a cop car if I ran into it.

And with the light having to make its way through the shield, a pin-lock, and the sunscreen on the NEO, a guy has to wonder.

1. Anybody have any (knowledgeable) comments on the optical quality of the drop down sunscreen on the NEO? Optical clarity is a BFD to me as the new generation of low profile light bars on cop cars is a lot harder to spot at a distance than the old fashioned “gumball dispensers”. I (briefly) had one of the early generation HJC SY-MAX’s and the sunscreen was so optically deplorable that I wouldn’t be able to spot a cop car if I ran into it.

And with the light having to make its way through the shield, a pin-lock, and the sunscreen on the NEO, a guy has to wonder.
I am anal when it comes to clarity on my sunglasses or my helmet visors. One little scratch, and I tend to buy a new shield. I can tell you that the Neotec sun visor, pinlock insert, and shield are very very good. You would hard pressed to find better clarity,and if you choose to procure one, I am confident you will be happy with it.