Just Mounted a 190/55/17

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer
Reaction score
So i just mounted a BT023 GT in a 190/55/17, there is plenty of room....

Here are some pictures.

file_zps9842e59e.jpg

file_zpsc755dd1c.jpg

file_zpsf2d531e1.jpg

file_zps1f6e4230.jpg

file_zps21ece5de.jpg

file_zpsc721f82d.jpg

file_zps1eca14b3.jpg

First impressions are that the steering is lighter while going slow, I only rode it round that block but the speedo appears to be spot on now (not 2 mph fast)....

It is now even easier to get on center stand.

R

I had a 190 on for a while. I found the only difference in riding is that it seemed that the tire wall rolled a little while I was corning really hard. Almost like the side wall was caving in a little bit. Maybe just my imagination but found this as negative difference and never found any positive differences besides liking the look from the back end.

You know how them shade tree mechanics are....

Called R, he knows. That pix was before he cinched stuff up for the test ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for calling Don......everything was tight before i rode it.

Seems the speedo is spot on now so the CC should set at 82.....

R

Good looking profile on the tire.

You change the front tire too Richard? Before you get any miles on the tire, how about measuring the circumference for us...

--G

Richard I know how well you can ride? What do you think? Will this make you a little quicker on 36? Only from Fortuna to Mad River! Safer? Easier handling? Just asking.

Mark

Are there other benefits besides the center stand?

Will this have an effect on the ABS or TCS ? (I think this is the same question escapefjrtist was aluding to)

At least your cruise control top speed will be faster ;)

George before I changed the tire to speedo was was about 2mph off at 80, (Cruise would set at 82)now it appears that the speedo is very accurate...

I will ride it over the next couple of days and let you know.

R

I don't get this one. I've never heard of a wider tire having quicker steering -- if anything I've always heard the opposite.

My Speed Triple was original shod with a 190 in the back (a '99). I thought it made the bike steer to heavy and slow, and changed to a 180 -- big improvement.

A 190/50-17 would likely slow the steering due to its flatter profile being wider in proportion to its width. This size is no taller than the stock 180/55-17. OTOH, the 190/55-17 maintains a similar profile but is a bit taller which raises the rear of the bike and helps the steering. The profile makes the difference.

I was accidentally shipped a 190/55-17 when I had ordered a 180/55-17 PR3. I decided to try it and now wouldn't go back to the smaller tire. Better steering response and it looks bitchin'.
punk.gif
I haven't experienced any handling anomalies up to scraping my boot through 90 mph sweepers and centerstand is a snap.

I've noticed that it seems a little more stable on the side stand also. The extra lean seems to stabilize it.