Just wanted to say hello quickly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all again!
John, good to see you over here as well man.

jwilly, I'll do that but don't expect it for some time unless you want to show me some parking lot training. It will most likely be at least a month before I progress to the streets and even longer before I feel up to riding with anyone.
Congrats on finding a new FJR and taking it out of the market (saving it for yourself).

I would strongly suggest you buy an inexpensive, smaller motorcycle to learn on (don't sell the FJR). Get a used Kawasaki 650 thumper or a BMW 650 thumper or a Honda dual sport and ride it a bunch for a month and get used to being on a bike then start riding the FJR. You could probably sell the smaller bike for what you paid for it (I am talking about $2,000 +/_) if you can sell it in the riding season. You might even decide you want to keep a smaller Dual Sport in your stable. You could save the cost of much more expensive repairs by dropping a 650 (by applying the front brake when you are starting off on a turn or not getting your feet down quick enough on a fast stop or putting your foot down in a pot hole or on a wet pavement marker or on gravel, etc.) instead of dropping the FJR. It is a matter of when, not if you are going to drop one. It would also be easier to learn some of the fundamentals of riding without having to learn those fundamentals while fighting a 600 pound jet fighter. Why do you think the MSF used a 250?

It looks to me like your reasoning on purchasing an FJR was sound (I'm not prejudiced) but I would suggest you start your riding on a smaller bike, at least for a little while. I started on a Triumph Thunderbird which weighs about 530 pounds and has a high center of gravity and I dropped it twice (no, I'm not bragging, just the truth). Food for thought.

FJRayJ

All,

First off, glad to see the forum is back up and running again!! Get re-registered and lets get this party started back up :) I have been riding my bike around my housing development a couple hours a night since I got back from my MSF course. Last night I began to feel that boredom feeling growing within me and let my better judgement off at my house and kept going. I road down to the main road in front of the development and said to myself "Self!! Lets ride to the corner and back." Upon reaching the corner I said to myself "Self!! Lets ride down 92 until I get to 41 and then I'll come back." Well once I reached 41 I realized that my better judgement hadn't gotten off at my house I aparently hada only stuck it in my glove box. It popped out of my glove box, bitch slapped me, pimp slammed me and then gave me a right hook. At this point I realized, WTF am I doing!?!?!? I pulled into a bank, turned off the bike and had to sit and smoke a cigarette on the curb. When I finally realized that it doesn't matter how scared I now am, I am 10 miles from my house, I got here safely I can get home safely, now I have to go back. I tooled around the parking lot for a while trying to build my courage back up and after 10 minutes it was back and I headed down to the red light and home I went. As soon as I got in the garage door I hopped back off her and had to smoke another one.

I sat and analized how stupid riding for my very first time ever on the road at 10:00 at night was. I started thinking about what things did and didn't feel natural, what items I thought about as I approached each intersection, as cars passed by in the other lane, what obsticles I encountered in the road such as dead animals, 2x4s, cars sitting dead on the side, etc. I know I definetly need a lot of practice in shifting, it is not a pretty sight to say the least. When I pull in the clutch, shift and slowly let it out I guess I don't have the gas pulled back enough because it decelerates until I twist back on the throttle more. it is functional but I don't have something correct. I shouldn't be slowing down in front of traffic when I should be greatly accellerating. I don't have anywhere in my neighborhood where I can go over 2nd gear. I guess the road is the only practice option I have.

I sat and analized how stupid riding for my very first time ever on the road at 10:00 at night was. I started thinking about what things did and didn't feel natural, what items I thought about as I approached each intersection, as cars passed by in the other lane, what obsticles I encountered in the road such as dead animals, 2x4s, cars sitting dead on the side, etc. I know I definetly need a lot of practice in shifting, it is not a pretty sight to say the least. When I pull in the clutch, shift and slowly let it out I guess I don't have the gas pulled back enough because it decelerates until I twist back on the throttle more. it is functional but I don't have something correct. I shouldn't be slowing down in front of traffic when I should be greatly accellerating. I don't have anywhere in my neighborhood where I can go over 2nd gear. I guess the road is the only practice option I have.

Dan---not to panic. You got back safe and sound. Remember you are riding safer now that you are scared to death than you will after a few years when you are not paying your full attention to riding. And that is what I would like to warn you about. I rode Police Bikes for 14 years. No accidents -- not an easy thing -- no brag but could have been killed many times.

Learning to "ride" the FJR will be easy. As you have found you can get around on it. Riding without an accident -- now that is a different story. In the years of police work and riding my own M/C I found the following:

1- Cagers don't see you as a threat -in otherwords you are not a simi truck that could take them out; so they will change lanes right into you or pull right out in front of you or turn left in front of you - they really don't see you. (Three most common accidents). I have investigated numerous accidents where the driver's statement was "I didn't even see him/her".

2- I never go through an intersection (even a small side street) where there is a vehicle sitting and not make sure that I can get past that vehicle before he pulls out or stop if he does. The very same thing applies to left turners. I will slow down when a cager is sitting waiting (I hope) to cut into his left turn. Your really are at his mercy at that point when you pass him; so slow down and be ready for the brakes. Remember some drivers will try to beat you and make their turn without stopping so watch for that also.

3-Learn how to "panic" stop on the bike you are riding --- when you don't have to "panic" stop. Many M/C crashes envolve cyclist who have never practiced a panic stop until there was a truck stopped (suddenly) in front of them. You may not believe this but trust me. Also you will find that your first practice panic stop (on a deserted parking lot) will take you many feet longer to get stopped than your 25th try. Put a box or cone out and when you pass the cone hit both brakes in a "panic" stop, park the bike get off and walk back to the cone. You will be surprised and that doesn't account for reaction time which will vary from 3/4 second up.

4-Yes turning a sweeper is easier than a right turn at 4 MPH. That is the "top heavy" they are talking about. This bike has the power to mess you up or it can stall if you aren't experienced. You don't have to scare yourself to practice both of these.

5-Many parking lots are all gravel or have much sand and leaves on them. Many FJR's have "tipped" in the parking lot. You probably won't get hurt but it is very expensive and embarrassing. Part of riding is stopping for lunch and a cold "NON-ALCOHOLIC" drink. Don't laugh -- many of the accident I have investigated envolved M/C riders drinking. If you do any activity that requires co-ordination and skill -- try having a couple of beers and then do the activity. Many do -- some get away with it.

6-Learn to ride with a partner in your same lane. This you will learn down the road but I woun't know you then. LOL This makes you more precise and it is very cool -- and you look really good. (Back off to single file on the curves).

7-And even though few will admit it -- don't forget to take the padlock off your front brake drum.

8-Ride like you are invisable to the cagers because you might as well be for as much attention they pay to motorcyclist -- they just don't see us.

In your post you stated you were having trouble after shifting "slowly" letting out the clutch. Don't let it out slowly. Cut the throttle and pull the clutch (or not--many don't) shift and just drop the clutch -- you are in a higher gear and you quickly learn to get back on the gas and be on your way. You are right you don't want to be slowing down when pulling out from a signal light -- those cagers will run you over because they are dialing or fiddeling on their cel phone or whatever, but we know they are in a hurry.

The final bit of advice and I doubt that you will take it -- but try anyway for your daughter --stop smoking. It is far more dangerous than the bike.

Few start with the best sport touring bike made (including and BMW) however I think you have a handle on being sucessful. M/C riding is really safer than car driving. The big difference is that there are few non-injury M/C accidents. But we can certainly out maneuver and out accelerate the cagers. Just when you feel like you got the bike figured out and you are doing pretty well on it -- is when you will be most likely to have a problem. It's hard to do, but you must pay attention to all things all the time -- and that ain't easy.

Good luck C.R. Miller

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel,

I understand that you want to do the right thing -be safe, etc. However, if you are thinking that you can't ride 2 blocks without worrying about crashing - then motorcycling is not for you. Yes, be constantly vigilant but you do not need to document your minute by minute worries for the rest of us.

We all take risks when we get on our bikes... or get in our car...or wake up, etc...

Have fun - be safe - ride your FJR and enjoy it.

Best to you and your new bike...

Thanks C.R. that was a good read!

wheaton, I wasn't actually afraid I was going to wreck. It was just the general tension of doing something that I had never done before and being dumb enough to do it after dark that got me. I know it sounds like I was and I guess re-reading the post I made it sounds worse but it was just a massive rush which ended in me being happy I didn't wreck :)

Daniel,

Sounds like you are doing just great. :yahoo:

It is good to have some fear/nervousness. It is when you get cocky and over self confident that problems begin :dribble:

Keep enjoying your FJR a nd taking these small steps.

I just started teaching my kid to drive. First couple times around the neighborhood; next time on the two lane road with a 60 mph speed imit. He is doing just fine with a healthy serving of fear/nervousness to go with it.

John

What an awesome machine!!!! I put a tad over 50 miles on today and had a freaking blast with every one of them. One thing I am noticing is that my throttle hand is getting knumb, is this just a newbie thing or an FJR vibration thing? I put Motovation bar ends on and they claim they're supposed to cut down vibration, if that is true I can't imagine the vibration without them if that is what is causing this. Would some sort of a cover help also, I noticed a couple threads about bar covers.

What an awesome machine!!!! I put a tad over 50 miles on today and had a freaking blast with every one of them. One thing I am noticing is that my throttle hand is getting knumb, is this just a newbie thing or an FJR vibration thing? I put Motovation bar ends on and they claim they're supposed to cut down vibration, if that is true I can't imagine the vibration without them if that is what is causing this. Would some sort of a cover help also, I noticed a couple threads about bar covers.
Vibration can be the cause. There are several things you can do to the bike to reduce vibration. A Throttle Body Synch (TBS) will take a lot of the vibration out. The Barbarian Jumper mod also helps. As do the bar-end weights you have.

Another cause of a hand falling asleep can be that you are gripping the bars too tightly. I keep a loose but firm grip on my controls. When I'm paying attention, I have almost zero weight on my hands. I use my legs and lower back to support the weight of my upper body. If I stop paying attention to my form (usually when stuck in suck-slow traffic) I tigthen my grip and my hand/s may go numb. Reverting to loose but firm grip and zero weight on the palms clears the numbness up immediately. Give that a try.

If none of that works, consider some sort of gel grips or gloves.