Kawasaki GTR1400 - Son of Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't these the same thumbswitches as the FJR uses?

100_0617_64_1_1.JPG

I mean, exactly. hurm... odd...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your right. Also notice the bleed nipples in front of both handlebar reservoirs and the 13K redline? :dribble:

I'm guessing that the panel adjustment knobs are for the lights? And on the far right of the lower dash panel, is that a power outlet?

I also notice that the handlebars seem to be threaded into risers. One would think it might be possible to remove (read that as "replace") the handebars with inevitable custom options. Also another nifty mounting point for potential farkles.

I think your right. Also notice the bleed nipples in front of both handlebar reservoirs and the 13K redline? :dribble:
I'm guessing that the panel adjustment knobs are for the lights? And on the far right of the lower dash panel, is that a power outlet?
The redline is 10,500 (it turns red between 10K and 11K). It's where the red starts, not where it ends.

Bleed nipples are, most likely, for bleeding the brake and clutch master cylinders. If so, brilliant! Very difficult to bleed the M/C and it's easy to get air trapped there when the entire system is purged.

I also notice that the handlebars seem to be threaded into risers. One would think it might be possible to remove (read that as "replace") the handebars with inevitable custom options. Also another nifty mounting point for potential farkles.
Not sure if they were designed like this to give different options or just to provide easier/cheaper replacement in the event they are damaged. Also, probably saves manufacturing costs by not having to include the bar in the casting.

Over 110 posts in less than 5 days! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know Mammy Yammi looks in here from time to time..... I wonder if Kawi ever stops by? :D :D

The Rider test of the 1400 ninja called the heat "exessive"... I wonder how the Connie14 will be?

I would still want to know how big the bags are, fuel capacity & milage before I drooled too much.

I also don't like the plastic brake/clutch resevoirs, no ram mounts or anything else on those.

Overall it looks like it will be nice, we will have to wait for a shoot out.

Over 110 posts in less than 5 days! :lol: :lol: :lol: I know Mammy Yammi looks in here from time to time..... I wonder if Kawi ever stops by? :D :D
Right now, Cypress may be saying a collective, "Oh, fecal matter!"

Over 110 posts in less than 5 days! :lol: :lol: :lol: I know Mammy Yammi looks in here from time to time..... I wonder if Kawi ever stops by? :D :D

The Rider test of the 1400 ninja called the heat "exessive"... I wonder how the Connie14 will be?
Mommy Yammi needs to exclusively license the trade name "Jiffy Pop" for motorcycle applications from the popcorn company before Kawasaki catches on.

The Rider test of the 1400 ninja called the heat "exessive"... I wonder how the Connie14 will be?I would still want to know how big the bags are, fuel capacity & milage before I drooled too much.

I also don't like the plastic brake/clutch resevoirs, no ram mounts or anything else on those.
After my discourse with another member about the ZZR1400, I went back and reread all of the road tests. Heat is mentioned a number of times (As well as limited legroom for riders over 5'11".). Only time will tell if the fairing on the "New Connie" will help or improve that issue. The old Connie was hot to ride here in the Central Valley.

The panniers look as large or larger than the FJR sidecases. Fuel mileage/capacity will await a true road test.

+1 on the plastic reservoirs. I'm sure there will be options galore once it is here for awhile. Shelves, ram mounts, etc., will take care of those problems.

As with your opinion, lets read the comparo!

Interesting, to say the least.

Having sold my FJR for my current ride, a 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 2008 puts me in the market for a new ride. Will probably return to the SPORT Tourer as I do miss my FJR. Just need to get this Triple out of my system. :rolleyes:

I attended the FJR EOM in Boone this year and want to thank all you FJR folks for putting up with my little naked girlfriend. The ride back to Jacksonville was brutal. I kept wishing I was on my FJR.

So......... Look what Kawasaki has done! Looks like my decision process will will be difficult in 08, or sooner.

I know I can't go wrong with a FJR but I do tend to want to try something different. That Kawi looks sweet.................. :yahoo:

Well, I'll wait for the the GEN II GTR. You know, when the fix the heat, throttle, windscreen whistle, seat, side stand, magic ejecting side cases, sticking needles, faulty mileage computer, blah, blah, blah... :hehe:
Didja fergit the built-in, patented HowieWobble?

Well, since I'm a card carrying member of COG and publish their club magazine, I'm really happy to see Kawi continued the Concours name. It ensures a good future for COG and I'm sure there'll be room for owners of the new C14. Already our members are drooling over the new bike. The feedback was very similar to a lot of guys here, too. Lots of buzz. (no pun intended)

Being an old marketing guy, it's fun to watch these builders extol their wares. You'd have thought Kawi reinvented the wheel by all the hype. "Transcontinental Super Sport?" Indeed! Does that imply everything else out there is for going to the store for bread and milk?? (I think the two most overhyped consumer products are motorcycles and golf clubs. I've never been able to use either anywhere close to their purported capability.)

FWIW...(exactly nothing.) My thoughts:

1. Why do they round up to 1400? The bike has 1352 cc's. Why not call it that?

2. Way cool design. Beautful to look at...except for those oversize sausages for mufflers. (Yuk!)

3. I don't see anything particularly "revolutionary" about it vis-a-vis the FJR. Perhaps the paralever treatment to lessen the driveline lash, although I've never had a serious problem with it. But then I'm not the most aggressive rider in the world either.

4. I moved into a FJR from a Connie and haven't looked back. The C14 appears to bring Kawi back into the game in the ST category. I wonder if they'll employ the same strategy of making the same bike over and over again. The old Connie is as bullet proof as they get. I also think they are more functional with those rectangular bags and bungee tie down points on rear fender. Great wind protection, too. There's something to be said for repetition. And they still can carve a good twisty any day.

5. Premium juice in a three dollar a gallon world (Don't think the present declines in gas prices will continue. Everything will go back up as soon as the elections are over.) gives me pause. Couple that need to all those ponies and the mileage won't be anything to write home about.

6. The bike will certainly come in the 14-15K price range, I bet. That's a lot of shekels.

7. When will these displacement wars end? Sure, Kawi wanted a "Busa killer in the ZX14, but wow! In a few years someone's going to break out a 2 liter bike. This reminds me of the Detroit horsepower wars of the late 60's and 70's, when they were building 7 liter V-8s. There's got to be a nexus between cost of operation and horsepower. Will the market stay strong when, say, it costs 30-35 bucks for a tankful of gasoline?

8. Suddenly, my FJR seems rather tame with all this buzz on the C14. Fact is, I won't part with mine for love nor money. It's paid for; it goes really fast very quickly; it's still state of the art AFAIC; purty to look at; it's comfy (although I'd love to hang my feet out farther forward on long trips). No ticking, no heat problem that I read about here so often. I'm warrantied until 2007. Life is good!

All this said...I'm happy to see Kawi jump in and commit to the ST marketplace. (The Connie lives on!) It helps us all, to be sure. That bike will sell well, no question.

Sumpin's been buggin' me all day about the motor... 1352 cc's and they felt a need to add VVT? Lessee, good low-end punch, then hit, what, 7k and launch yourself into low earth orbit? Mucho overkill, duncha think? Wadda minute... ET Highway an near mach speeds? Er, nevermind. :blink: