Kawasaki GTR1400 - Son of Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the storage. I prefer the FJ approach with it off to the side. That compartment on the tank is mighty small and will interfear with a tank bag.
Compared to my current setup, I see this storage area location as an advantage. I currently use my tankbag to house wiring/electronic farkles. This would be the end of plug in/un plug during a gas stop and since the storage would be used for permanent use items, a tankbag could sit right over it. Also, depending on where the battery is located, it could also save on longer cable runs to valuable underseat storage areas?

Just a thought? :unsure:

Also, depending on where the battery is located, it could also save on longer cable runs to valuable underseat storage areas?
I seem to recall the battery placement is identical to the ZX-14... which means it's thoroughly buried. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
On the storage. I prefer the FJ approach with it off to the side. That compartment on the tank is mighty small and will interfear with a tank bag.
a tankbag could sit right over it.
Ya' think?

With all that plastic a magnetic bag won't grab, and (from the pics) it doesn't look like theres a good place for a strapped bag.

But I'll give a big "I hear Ya" on the ease of wiring.

a tankbag could sit right over it.
Ya' think?

With all that plastic a magnetic bag won't grab, and (from the pics) it doesn't look like theres a good place for a strapped bag.

But I'll give a big "I hear Ya" on the ease of wiring.
I agree that the plastic does prevent magnetism. However, if this is going to be the connie replacement and lives only half as long as the current model, you can bet your life that the aftermarket will cater to every conceivable farkle for this bike.

True, I just replaced my 04 FJR with an 06, but there is NO WAY for that type of projected moolah, that I would jump on the first year production on that bike.

With one of the reviewers bitches about the ZX1400 being too much heat, and with all of the heat bitching earlier FJR owners had about heat (not me), I would surely wait and see what's up before doing anything.

I'm still kind of perlexed about all of the hub bub. I know that I'll get slammed for this one, but for an ST bike, how much more power does one really need? People were blown away by the power that the FJR had when it first came out. How much is enough for this kind of bike? Maybe I'm old and senile, but I can't ever remember thinking, "damn, I wish this bike was even faster. I can't recall, what is the 0-60 speed on the FJR? 3.2"? Sooooo....the new Kawi will go.....2.9? O.K.

I know that it is subjective, but I really don't care for the position of that storage compartment. I almost always use a magnetic tand bag. The FJR set-up allows me to use the storage compartment AND a magnetic tank bag. However I do like the placement of the power outlet and its versatile usability.

It WILL be interesting to hear the reviews of those brave souls who make the move on it, though. Things are going to get interesting, to be sure.

Since the tank isn't the tank...just a cover over the airbox if what I've read and gleaned from the pictures is right...the "tank" might not even be steel to begin with, so magnetic tank bags wouldn't work anyway. Might consider some kind of dzus camlock-style fastener to the vertical sides of the "tank".

On another note, on Warchild's Pic #6, the shot of the rear lights assy, is that a key hanging down from the right reflector area from a (gasp) helmet lock? Or is it an optical illusion and the key I see is actually hanging out of the sidecase lock? I can't be sure.

I'm still kind of perlexed about all of the hub bub. I know that I'll get slammed for this one, but for an ST bike, how much more power does one really need? People were blown away by the power that the FJR had when it first came out. How much is enough for this kind of bike? Maybe I'm old and senile, but I can't ever remember thinking, "damn, I wish this bike was even faster. I can't recall, what is the 0-60 speed on the FJR? 3.2"? Sooooo....the new Kawi will go.....2.9? O.K.
There's no such thing as too much power, especially when it's tractible power and not just silly scary power. Though that's a lot of fun too.

Why does Warchild have and XX? Why have people moaned for that motor in an ST chassis for, oh as long as I can remember? Why did I spend $$ trying to make my 11 more tourable?

Because power rules, and real, ultimate power is even better :) Does the FJR have enough? For most of us it has more than enough. But we still spend time, energy, and $$ on pipes, power commanders, etc, etc to get more, smother and better power delivery.

There's nothing like power, and power that goes to 11 and beyond :)

I really like my FJR, and I probably won't own a first year Connie14 until a few kinks get worked out. But man that really hits the spot if you ask me.

"One can never be too thin, too rich, or have too much horsepower." - Princess Diana, August 31, 1997

It's all in perspective. The FJR is impressive in it's power...until I get off my (less-than-stock) ZRX1200. Then it seems kinda civil. Might even say "tame".

I know that it is subjective, but I really don't care for the position of that storage compartment. I almost always use a magnetic tand bag. The FJR set-up allows me to use the storage compartment AND a magnetic tank bag. However I do like the placement of the power outlet and its versatile usability.
What I really like about the FJR set-up are those huge plastic thingies hanging off either side of the rear end that preclude me from having to **** around with a tank bag. Kinda makes the issue of using a tank bag a moot point. :)

It WILL be interesting to hear the reviews of those brave souls who make the move on it, though. Things are going to get interesting, to be sure.
If I suddenly find $15k in some parking lot in the next few months, about $1300 will go into a Russell DayLong and Givi V46 for the Feejer. The rest would be deposited in my local Kawasaki dealer's bank account. :yahoo:

Since the tank isn't the tank...just a cover over the airbox if what I've read and gleaned from the pictures is right...the "tank" might not even be steel to begin with, so magnetic tank bags wouldn't work anyway. Might consider some kind of dzus camlock-style fastener to the vertical sides of the "tank".
Or, do like some of the CBR600RR owners have done and have pieces of steel cut/glued to the inside of the plastic so magnetic tank bags could be used.

YIKES, I cannot believe what I am reading , yee people with so little faith. wait until you see the 07 FJR.

Here I am a Beamer rider and going to be a 07FJR rider and I am not changing my mind. I would have to ask how fast do you really want to go. There is a speed limit and then a personal limit and the FJR will easily exceed both of these.

What about upkeep. I am getting tired of laying out the big bucks for maintanence. This forum is what really convinced me and with your help I hope to never see another dealers shop again.

Those of you with the big bucks, just have at it, I will stay with my idea of the ideal bike. The FJR.

just my .02

Mac :clapping:

YIKES, I cannot believe what I am reading , yee people with so little faith. wait until you see the 07 FJR.
Here I am a Beamer rider and going to be a 07FJR rider and I am not changing my mind. I would have to ask how fast do you really want to go. There is a speed limit and then a personal limit and the FJR will easily exceed both of these.

What about upkeep. I am getting tired of laying out the big bucks for maintanence. This forum is what really convinced me and with your help I hope to never see another dealers shop again.

Those of you with the big bucks, just have at it, I will stay with my idea of the ideal bike. The FJR.

just my .02

Mac :clapping:
Omac, I don't expect the 07 FJR to be much different than the 06. Of course, I could be wrong....but I don't think so. Except that the color can't be anywhere near as beautiful. :p

I'm with you, though. I'll be sticking with my trusty FJR (damn, especially since they finally got the whole ticking thing worked out...I think). At least for the next few years.

I don't know guys...

Our fearless leader has been seen on some of the Connie 14 sites. Ya' know... asking questions!! Seems awefully serious about considering the new connie for his next improement target.

You can't hide Warchild!! We all had better dump our old FJRs now before everyone else does and the price hits the shits...

-BD

Our fearless leader has been seen on some of the Connie 14 sites. Ya' know... asking questions!! Seems awefully serious about considering the new connie for his next improement target.
You can't hide Warchild!!
You're outing Warchild? How gay is that? What if he's just dabbling, but doesn't act on the impulse. Maybe he just wants to be friends with the Connie 14..... :huh:

You can't hide Warchild!!
You're outing Warchild? How gay is that? What if he's just dabbling, but doesn't act on the impulse. Maybe he just wants to be friends with the Connie 14..... :huh:
I still remember a Warchild post from a couple of years ago where he didn't speak so highly of the possibility of owning a Kawasaki. Something like he'd rather own a Schwinn or something.

Yes, I remember a number of his colorful comments on bikes. Let's see now... the ST1300 was a turgid kitchen appliance and any BMW was a Teutonic piece of something or other that you would never find in his garage. I'm sure there are more priceless nuggets but I am old now and I tend to forget.

But...things and opinions do change. It's all part of keeping an open mind I suppose.

how much is this beast going to cost in 08. the picturesfrom kawasaki web site looked alot better then the pic. TSTAFF posted . the bike looks alot cheaper or should i say more of cheap plactic . take a look at the bags .

I still remember a Warchild post from a couple of years ago where he didn't speak so highly of the possibility of owning a Kawasaki. Something like he'd rather own a Schwinn or something.
But...things and opinions do change. It's all part of keeping an open mind I suppose.
Indeed... things and opinions do change.

For example....

I used to hold Honda in extremely high regard. But after building/releasing the ass-cheese bikes they have the last 5 or so years, and completely abandoning the hyper-bike class (leaving XX owners high and dry), you can guess my opinion of them now...
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Basically, from what I can discern through careful research, Honda has apparently installed a snatch where its testicles used to reside. :angry2:

With regard to Kawasaki, hey, my first brand new bike was a Kawa... and while never leaving me by the roadside, the POS did have to have several significant instances of warranty work. Hence my "Schwinn" comments. However, this was a couple decades ago.... and as we said, things changed. Where Honda used to be the best of the Big 4, the other three manufacturers have really upped their game in the last 5-10 years, both in terms of fit/finish, and in general reliability.

The GTR1400 merits a serious look, and that's what I am doing now. But that's all I am doing.

For now.