Kawasaki GTR1400 - Son of Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big fault I see IMHO is the can. I would much prefer a dual split side exhaust like the FJ

I agree, the big can on one side and nothing on the other doesn't look right. Besides, I like that low-maintenance stainless exhaust!!!

Capacity of the hard bags looks to be less than the FJR? Not sure if you could fit a helmet in them?

...3. I don't see anything particularly "revolutionary" about it vis-a-vis the FJR.

Sumpin's been buggin' me all day about the motor... 1352 cc's and they felt a need to add VVT? Lessee, good low-end punch, then hit, what, 7k and launch yourself into low earth orbit? Mucho overkill, duncha think? Wadda minute... ET Highway an near mach speeds? Er, nevermind. :blink:
VVT is exactly that: Revolutionary technology. Other than the VFR motor, no other on a production motorcyle (I think) has a modern VVT. Honda's VTEC is a two stage system. At the set engine speed, the lift profile changes abruptly.

A cam phasing VVT gradually and infinitely varies the lift timing. At lower speeds, the intake valve opens and closes earlier. At higher speeds, later to take advantage of air mass inertia. No abruptness, just behind-the-scenes smoothness across a widened power band. This is the type of system 600's and 750's will benefit from when they can package it and make it lightweight.

BTW, I don't like the uni-huge can either. That bike needs a proper two-can setup. I guess they designed it that way to balance out the weight of the shaft drive.

-BD

BTW, I don't like the uni-huge can either. That bike needs a proper two-can setup. I guess they designed it that way to balance out the weight of the shaft drive.
Perhaps they didn't want to have to splay out the left muffler (as Yamaha does) to clear the rear drive housing. I don't care for this bazooka either, but I also know for a fact that Muzzy will come out with a nice brushed Titanium unit that will undoubtedly look killer.

But as it stands now, the bike does look a little asymmetric from the rear:

100_0623_70_1_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the single can. As a reformed sport bike rider (translation: got old) I have always had a single aftermarket can on every bike.

If the Akropovic setup wasn't so damn expensive...

This bike will definitely go on my short list when I need to replace the FJR. I'm thinking in about 4 years or so. Who knows what will be available then? Looking forward to it. This is a great time to be a motorcyclist! :yahoo:

Can't wait to see one in person, but hopefully it will be several years before I consider replacing the FJR.

First thing to go would be the stock can, also hope it has a helmet lock, cause it won't fit here.

Won't hold much more than one of Radio Howie's "Big Darkies"

k14case.jpg

VVT is exactly that: Revolutionary technology. Other than the VFR motor, no other on a production motorcyle (I think) has a modern VVT. Honda's VTEC is a two stage system. At the set engine speed, the lift profile changes abruptly.
A cam phasing VVT gradually and infinitely varies the lift timing. At lower speeds, the intake valve opens and closes earlier. At higher speeds, later to take advantage of air mass inertia. No abruptness, just behind-the-scenes smoothness across a widened power band. This is the type of system 600's and 750's will benefit from when they can package it and make it lightweight.
If my memory is correct, valve adjustments on VFRs are quite a bit more extensive/expensive than with other bikes. Anyone heard this? If so, is that due to the VVT?

If my memory is correct, valve adjustments on VFRs are quite a bit more extensive/expensive than with other bikes. Anyone heard this? If so, is that due to the VVT?
VFRs maybe. On this system - no different. The intake cam phase is adjusted by a hydraulic actuator on the end of the camshaft. I don't think this VVT has an exhaust actuator, so it will certainly be no different.

-BD

It would be nice to see the Kaw without the bags.

The FJR has a real clean look without the bags and I ran my 03 bagless most of the time.

Below is a link to more Concours14 photos from a bike show (sorry if it's been posted before). I got it from a fellow biker at work. It'll give me something to look over when my YES is up in 2008 on my 04 FJR.

Concours14

Tom

Built in storage on top of tank instead of the FJR glovebox?

100_0617_64_1_1.JPG

also like the full-on preload adjuster rather than hard/soft

just wondering if that can is as big/ugly as the pics make it out to be.

VVT and the single big exhaust can are there for emissions as much as any other reason. Remember, this is a 2008 model designed from the get-go to meet the newer thougher emissions standards both in the USA and in Europe.

VVT really helps with the emissions on an engine with a wide operating range of RPMs. To get good power at high RPMs, you need the cam timing advanced and a good bit of overlap. But this is bad for emissions at low rpms. Much less of a problem with VVT. Of course, you get the additional benefit of a flatter torque curve too.

The big single can contains a catalytic converter as well as the muffler. One bigger CAT is cheaper than two small ones. One bigger cat heats up and becomes functional faster after a cold-start than two small ones would, and the EPA likely has specs for how fast this needs to happen (been that way on cars for some years).

-Uwe-

Randy beat me to it...that might be a concern for many; about 1-2 yrs. ago a guy wrote in to CycleWorld bitching about the cost of his VFRs VTEC valve adjustment costing ~ $500. CycleWorld defended the dealer, mentioning the extensive procedure...could be a rude awakening for some owners if the Kawi follows suit. Of course, I'll still be surprised if current Connie owners buy this bike...'drive out', this bike will probably be *twice* the cost of an old Connie..(no comparison, of course) I always seemed to get the impression that Connie owners were rather, how should I say it? Frugal?

[

Randy beat me to it...that might be a concern for many; about 1-2 yrs. ago a guy wrote in to CycleWorld bitching about the cost of his VFRs VTEC valve adjustment costing ~ $500. CycleWorld defended the dealer, mentioning the extensive procedure...could be a rude awakening for some owners if the Kawi follows suit. Of course, I'll still be surprised if current Connie owners buy this bike...'drive out', this bike will probably be *twice* the cost of an old Connie..(no comparison, of course) I always seemed to get the impression that Connie owners were rather, how should I say it? Frugal?

If I remember correctly, in Rider magazines recent review of the ZX-14, valve adjustment intervals were listed as every 6K miles. Is one to assume that the valve adjustment intervals would be the same for this bike as well? VS every 26K miles for the FJR? :huh:

[if I remember correctly, in Rider magazines recent review of the ZX-14, valve adjustment intervals were listed as every 6K miles. Is one to assume that the valve adjustment intervals would be the same for this bike as well? VS every 26K miles for the FJR? :huh:

Every 16K for the Zed-X. Reported cost is in the 2 - 300 smack-a-roonie area. But, I don't think that the Zed-X has VVT and who knows how that will affect valve adjust intervals...

I'm in love or is it lust? I will be riding one of these gorgeous machines although I do abhore the recent trend to the oversized fag nasty exhaust cans. That will be the first thing ripped off. :yahoo:

Some more photos from the recent Bike Show in Houston (lifted from Texas City Cycle):

I was hoping it wasn't true despite the photos suggesting it was, but there is no denying that Kawasaki is using H4s in the headlight.... bummer..... :(

H4_headlight.jpg

Storage compartment on the forward portion of tank:

tankstoreage.jpg

Hey Yamaha, take a lesson... see how almost all of the needle sweep is used in a speedometer? :angry2:

dash.jpg

Check out this stout rear rack.... bet'cha a factory top box is offered at some point:

rearrack.jpg

Even though this bazooka for a muffler is looking less offensive the more I see it, Muzzy will still sell a LOT of exhausts for this bike, no doubt:

rearpipe.jpg

Dunno if I like this tail section yet.... but I bet that LED stop light (immediately below rack) is brighter than hell....

tail.jpg

Wow, a 120-watt outlet built in, and it's NOT covered by a locked compartment lid! :lol: Looks like it's sized for a common Jastek-type male connector...

outlet.jpg

I must say, this platform is looking pretty awesome, but some critical info remains missing..... Alternator output? Fuel capacity? Wet (or dry) weight? Valve clearance check intervals?

Oh, and... it'd be great if they provided a MSRP price..... :rolleyes:

Some more photos from the recent Bike Show in Houston (lifted from Texas City Cycle):
I was hoping it wasn't true despite the photos suggesting it was, but there is no denying that Kawasaki is using H4s in the headlight.... bummer..... :(

Storage compartment on the forward portion of tank:

tankstoreage.jpg

I've missed something... whats the prob with H-4 lights?

On the storage. I prefer the FJ approach with it off to the side. That compartment on the tank is mighty small and will interfear with a tank bag.

The only thing so far on MSRP:

"Pricing and availability are not set in concrete, but the bike is projected to be released sometime after March and before June of 2007 as an early release 2008 model. Expect pricing to fall somewhere between the $13,500 FJR1300 and the $18,000 K1200GT. For the sake of the current cost-conscious Concours owners let's hope it's closer to ten than twenty"