KrZy8 - Broken SubFrame

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you were going for strength and all, but given that you boxed in most of the sub-frame was it really necessary to go with that thickness vs. say half of that, just wondering. Curious to hear how it fits back in.

You have officially superseded RadioHowie as the owner of the Frankenbike.
Wow, we will the badge of FrankenBike with honor!

Now then, where's Howie?

I know you were going for strength and all, but given that you boxed in most of the sub-frame was it really necessary to go with that thickness vs. say half of that, just wondering. Curious to hear how it fits back in.
I agree with you. 1/8" would have been fine. I think the welder was more concerned with getting a good weld due to the cast aluminum and wanted more material to play with?

..and yeah, I'm having trouble just getting the subframe to fit back to the original forward mounting points. Too much stuff is in the way..

Well, just CACK.

If ever a job could be done worse for all the right reasons this one is it..

Here is what NOT to phooking do.

Box in the U shape subframe to add stiffness as shown here..

1.jpg

Why not you ask, seems like a good idea?

2.jpg

Here's one reason - the inner fender will no longer fit nicely.

3.jpg

Neither will the rear tail light assembly.

4.jpg

So material has to be relieved to allow fit.. All using custom, proper tools, of course! :****:

5.jpg

Even after hours of messing with it, the fit is still for shit.

6.jpg

7.jpg

I am ASSuming in stock configuration the rear inner fender mated nicely with the subframe with no gap as shown in the last two pix.

Will look at tomorrow when with (hopefully) a better 'tude but right now I'm ready to buy a Triumph.

:unsure:

That all sounds like a real PITA.

If it were me, I would sling the modified rack in the bin and take up one of the offers you had for a replacement rack, but that's just me, always looking for the easy option :rolleyes:

Good luck either way.

Don

If it were me, I would sling the modified rack in the bin and take up one of the offers you had for a replacement rack, but that's just me, always looking for the easy option :rolleyes:

Good luck either way.

Don
The replacement 'racks' spoken of earlier were the plastic passenger grab rail. The subframe is close to a 600 dollar bill..

Good luck either way.

Don
The replacement 'racks' spoken of earlier were the plastic passenger grab rail. The subframe is close to a 600 dollar bill..
Oops! my mistake, I just 'assumed' it was the subframe that had been discussed previously. That's an even bigger PITFA!

Don

Outta curiosity....

Since the rear sub-frame is more rigid than stock, will that transfer loads / stresses / whatever to other areas of the bike that aren't really designed to handle the added stress? Kinda like how a certain amount of flex is more-or-less designed into the ... uh ... design of ... uh ... things?

Either way, I hope ya get KrZyFranken8 on the road soon, Don!

Ya know.. The more I think aboot it the more this shite going bad makes sense.

You added 1/4 inch to two sides. Effectively this adds 1/2 inch..

Damn dood!! The plastic isn't a birth canal. :blink:

Ya know.. The more I think aboot it the more this shite going bad makes sense.

You added 1/4 inch to two sides. Effectively this adds 1/2 inch..

Damn dood!! The plastic isn't a birth canal. :blink:
Yeah, but, a half inch is longer than that sorry excuse for a skin tab you call a penis.

Now waita cotton picken minute here!! You only did one underside of the subframe? I though you did left and right?

My logic, unreasonable though it is, says if you add 1/4 inch to two sections, the total gain on the object you are fuking up is... 1/2 inch.

I bet even that Lop eared bastard step kid of Don's is gonna go with me on this.. :lol: