KrZy8 - Broken SubFrame

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bust, 1 side only, .25 totalMikee, u in trouble now!
Yebbut....1/4" when the tolerances are minimal, at best. Those injection molded plastic panels are meant to fit specifically and won't adapt well if you modify their "free" space for aligning the mounting bolts or general fitment.

Oh, wait, you're finding that out!

It seems to me there have been other instances where owners have modified areas where the plastic panels mounted. The same with designing a fuel cell, rear rack, etc.

Years ago, in a lifetime far far away, we changed engine makers in a funny car, from Ed Pink to Keith Black. You'd think that one 426-style hemi is the same as the other....but, noooooo! IIRC, it took me 3 or 4 evenings to get the body to close and latch without chafing injector lines, blower belts, injector bodies, etc., etc., etc. I's solve one issue and the body would drop another 1/2" and it would rub something else. I FEEL YOUR PAIN, Don!

Keep working at it until it fits well. One day this will all be a memory and good campfire lore. :rolleyes:

In trouble? Like that would be a surprise... :dntknw:

I mean...er...stirring it up after all these years.

Ya know.. The more I think aboot it the more this shite going bad makes sense.

You added 1/4 inch to two sides. Effectively this adds 1/2 inch..

Damn dood!! The plastic isn't a birth canal. :blink:
I think he only put it on the bottom surface.
Buttttt.. there were two "bottom" surfaces. So... 2, 1/4 inch sections equal 1/2..

two plus two is four.. Oh **** he's really screwed.He added an inch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, the plastic isn't the issue...

$179 flEbay

m0QvG0Ytiw6asGZl-HeRUqA.jpg

Unless it's the principle of the thing. ;)

Looks like the muffler bracket mounting points have some damage. One is broken and another is bent...not that they can't be repaired, but now you have a whole new set of problems.
Yep, trading one problem for another, at least for that sub frame..

This is when you have to walk away and have a cig... I don't know how non smokers get past such problems.
Hmm. What do you recommend?
wink.gif

Bust, 1 side only, .25 totalMikee, u in trouble now!
Yebbut....1/4" when the tolerances are minimal, at best. Those injection molded plastic panels are meant to fit specifically and won't adapt well if you modify their "free" space for aligning the mounting bolts or general fitment.

Oh, wait, you're finding that out!

It seems to me there have been other instances where owners have modified areas where the plastic panels mounted. The same with designing a fuel cell, rear rack, etc.

Years ago, in a lifetime far far away, we changed engine makers in a funny car, from Ed Pink to Keith Black. You'd think that one 426-style hemi is the same as the other....but, noooooo! IIRC, it took me 3 or 4 evenings to get the body to close and latch without chafing injector lines, blower belts, injector bodies, etc., etc., etc. I's solve one issue and the body would drop another 1/2" and it would rub something else. I FEEL YOUR PAIN, Don!

Keep working at it until it fits well. One day this will all be a memory and good campfire lore. :rolleyes:

In trouble? Like that would be a surprise... :dntknw:

I mean...er...stirring it up after all these years.
LOL, how true Mike..

Buttttt.. there were two "bottom" surfaces. So... 2, 1/4 inch sections equal 1/2..

two plus two is four.. Oh **** he's really screwed.He added an inch.
Oh geesh Bust, quit sqeeling with glee. It's only an inch!
Happy to report back the sub frame is installed, no stress on any plastic, all holes line up square and even. The key was to relieve all material around the rear tail light section so it positions all other fitments correctly. Surprisingly, the 1/4" plate on the bottom didn't cause that much grief with regards to mounting the inner fender. OK, I did spend about 6 hours on it.

:****: me.

I don't do this kind of stuff for a living, I'm just a cheap hack who doesn't want to pay some other so-called professional hack to make it worse than I can, so I just try my best. Case in point - attempted to use the stock plastic rivets, but no go. No worries, I have other plastic rivets, longer, beefier. Drill hole, CACK, no happiness. Now I have to big a hole for nice button screw, so had to user larger button screws (e.g. drill, tap) than desired. I also poked 2 holes in the plastic that don't belong there. It's a learning experience. Fortunately, these holes are on the underside so won't be seen unless you really try.

The right side looks A-1 bitchen, lesson learned.

While at it, decided to re-wire all the farkles,eliminate excess wire, replace all insulated crimped connectors with non-insulated lugs and heat shrink. One thing calls for another, ya know? Kind of like "Since it's down this far, now is the time to do all this" so I am.

All in all, pretty pleased right now, unlike last night. Let me see, was in the shop at 7 AM, and just back to the house now. Long hot day, it's still 82F outside. I took the swamp cooler from the porch and pasted it right at the shop entrance. Ahhh, much better!
tongue.gif

At this point, the sub frame is on, the rear plastic and tail light is on, the blue seas is in and re-wired. Tomorrow will be making the StarComm wire clean, replace the alternator cover, and maybe even start with getting some of the big plastic pieces back in place. Oh, and get the RoadCrafter RR harness installed too.
huh.gif
laugh.gif

I'll have pix tomorrow -

Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys -
yahoo.gif

Hopefully KrZy8 will be good for another 150k after this little go-round...

Don,

I salute your patience and bow to your persistence. You're at a point I was 3 years ago (was it really that long ago?) when I wondered if Frankenbike would EVER be back together.

Let me tell ya, he's been a champ...not a problem in the world with the big guy since his rebirth and added almost 30k miles since his resurrection.

KrZy8 will ride again and your feeling of accomplishment will put a smile on your face EVERY time you hit the "start" button.

Keep at it, my friend...and don't get lazy on the KZ Project. We're all looking forward to that, too!

Tx Howie!

In the shop again today, cleaning up remaining wiring. Oh, ordered big bore kit for the Kz, a huge find as oem pistons are NA. See kz post in diff thread.

From iPad..

Edit besides can't afford new Skooter so gotta make old one do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to do some serious grinding on the welded plate to get the tailsection, inner fender, to mate up with the inner rear fender.

See the problem yet? I drilled holes into the plate, hoping to use plastic pop rivets, but no happiness.

These are the two contact points hitting the plate, causing every hole to be out of alignment.

Not very good tool set.. Initial holes cut using peanut grinder, hand held.

Close up shot.

CACK. Look at the gap still. More grinding.

Ended up going this deep - wish I had an end mill to use.. Oh well, no one will see it...