Looking for headlights, but not HID's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, we are close enough you need to check out the results of the HID install. It's pretty sweet. After seeing Puppychow's 4300K bulbs I was determined to go that way as well. I'll try to get a measurement, but I can say that I have a volt meter on the bike, and can run 77 watt heated gear and Krista at full power and still show 13.8 on the volt meter. There is some spare power at that point. Others that have measured amperage on this set have reported 37 watts, or 2.68 amps per side at 13.8 VDC. I'd like to see if my results are the same. I'll have to patch the multimeter between the power source and lights to figure it out, and I'm really not that motivated to prove anything, but I guess the gauntlet has been thrown down. So next time I have the panel off, i'll check.

I had a Gen 4 ballast failure. I was able to remove the HID bulb and install an OEM bulb in about the time it took to remove the top enclosure (AB) panels.

Mike, I have the Krista lights now too. :clapping: Great addition. While chatting up the owner of Clearwater lights, it seems I met the original owner of your bike.

That's a great price. But, do you really think that these $100 HID last as long as the stock bulbs?

Yes they will outlast, there is no filament to break. The reliability of the igniter's and lamps are pretty good these days. I've been using mine for 3 years with no problems. You will stand out in daylight and have excellent illumination at night. Only slightly more awkward to fit than changing the headlight bulb.

Andy

I know you said you didn't want to go HID, but, at a total cost under $100 shipped, there is nothing you can do that will add this much visibility to your ride. It increases safety for daytime riding, and gives you the range to see forest rats at night. The lighting power is simply awesome, and no incandescent can come close, and it cuts your wattage consumption from 55/60 watts/bulb to just 37 accounting for ballast inefficiency. That is a net 50 watts savings, which means more to a Gen I, but can't hurt. In terms of work, you will have to remove the ABCD panels, make a battery and ground connection. On a Gen I I can swap the bulbs and do the install with no further disassembly, (although removing the front cowling does help make for a neater easier install IMO.

If you do order the HID kit, you will need two H4 bixenon and I recommend the 4300K color. You don't need the capacitor or canbus options. The kit from HIDcountry comes with slim ballasts, that can be tucked into the side coweling in front and below the battery, and in front of the glove box, assuming you don't want to remove the nose cone. Good luck.

I would think that PHILIPS MotoVision Light Bulb being made for a motorcycle would last longer.

I just removed the right bulb, it took me 20 minutes, I still need to remove the left side.

Left side, I mean the clutch side. Which side is more difficult? Also, the stock bulb model number is Philips H4 12342 12V 60/55W. According to Google, cost around $4.99 each.
assuming gen i and ii same issues with frame in nose support on right (brake side), the left side is twice easier unless small hands and long slim fingers that helps the right side work

it's not bad after doing it once or twice...I used to get my daughter to position the bulb in the holder and then I set the clamp, etc. I did it myself last time

After trying the Silverstars (not the extreme expensive Ultras) and reading that they are short lived and prone to vibration (mine only lasted a few months each),

now both of mine are the OEM basic Sylvanias from AutoZone (about $10).

plus I have plenty lighting for those vampire rides:

Clearwater Lights

4597002453_32266c5984_z.jpg

4597002461_6f952f87c3_z.jpg

35000 miles could represent between 900 and 1200 hours of operation, and countless startup cycles, unless operation is mainly high-speed long-distance riding. Seems like pretty good service for an incandescent filament bulb, considering the environment the bulbs operate in.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, your OEM bulbs failed at 35K miles?

I'm almost there.

Is that avarage, 30K some miles?

What is the avarage life of stock OEM bulbs. I guess we are talking about miles here.

Thanks,
OEM replacements:

years or for me 35k miles (well 18 months)
I actually don't remember

my bike is an '04 with 138k miles

one went out at 75k miles Sept '08 - I think the originals went out before that, but not sure and don't know when

I believe I replaced them both at 75k with Silverstars which went out at 90k and 95k respectively

Now back to regular Sylvanias with no issues for almost 45k miles

I really like the OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs. They are noticeably brighter, but don't last as long as stock bulbs. I've never burned out a set of stock bulbs, but the 1st set of OSRAM bulbs lasted 9 months on left side and just over a year on the right side. The replacement set I ordered claim to have longer life than the older version I was running, but I haven't been able to verify that claim because they are still burning bright. BTW, I ride about 14,000 miles per year.

I've ordered from

https://www.powerbulbs.com/

and

https://www.suvlights.com/

and ebay also has low prices vendors.

Last edited by a moderator: