Mayers or Russel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genady

Reaction score
Hey all!

What is your opinion on Russel vs Mayers (Ricky Mayers is it?) seats.

Which one is better? Are these pretty comparable?

Thanks!

I have a Bill Mayer saddle, it's OK. Well, far better than stock or a Corbin. It was NOT made for me, I bough it used.

I never owned a Russel saddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a "Bill" Mayer saddle too. Made for me though. It rocks compared to the stock seat but I can't ghost the Russel. Never seen one up close.

With one happy backside, We're Wee Willy. Cheers.

Currently breaking in a Russel. Neve sat on a Mayer. Best thing to do would be find a couple people in your area with Russel or Mayer and ask if you can test sit. Better yet go for a ride with someone in your area that has the seat and swap seats for a stretch of road.

Had a Rick Mayer dual vinyl. It was not made for me, but was made for a very similar sized rider.

2890025610098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

It didn't do it for me. While it was better than stock, it still didn't "spread the load" enough to prevent hot spots. I ended up sending my stock seats off to Russell for the Day Long in full leather. It is the best hands down.

2930824890098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

I have never sat on a Bill Mayer, but have heard that they are superior to his brother Rick's.

Interesting story on the incestuousness of custom saddle makers is that the patented wing design of the Russell Daylong Saddles was originally invented and then sold to Russell by Rick and Bill's father Bill Mayer Sr.. Seems those Mayers have saddle making in their genes.

VERY pleased with my Mayer seat. I went with Mayer because all the Russel's I saw had 'wings'. You know, that part of the seat that keeps your thighs from sliding off the side. I prefer more of a saddle and the Mayer suits my purpose well.

I currently have a Russell seat on a 97 BMW R1100RT and have just ordered one for my 07 FJR (bought to replace the BMW). I've been using the original Day-Long and Russell seats since 1978 and would obviously recommend them for a touring bike. I also have a Bill Mayer seat on a Suzuki DRZ400S. I think Bill Mayer did a great job on the DRZ seat too. Either way, I think you'd be happy. Russell will guarantee their work --- after several adjustments, if you're not satisfied, they'll refund your money. Bill Mayer will make adjustments, but will not give refunds.

RE: Rick Mayer --- you might want to do a bit of research. I've read that he does fine with ride in service, but mail order might be another kettle of fish. YMMV

I'm thinking real hard on a Russell seat, but the lead time is a little bothersome. Just ordered a Rifle windshield, so now all I need is a good seat and that cross-country trip will become reality. I can handle the stock seat for a 3 or 4 day trip, but much more than that and the trip becomes no fun. I can see where the Russell might look a little out of place on an FJR, but you can't see it while being sat on and looks is not the reason to spend that much on a seat.

Put my order with Russel today, production day is June 7, almost my birthday :)

Looks like will have to spend 3 weeks or so in June with no bike (after I send them my stock seat), it sucks!

Anyone in Bay Area, I could borrow a seat for few weeks by any chance? :) I will pay rental!!!

Thanks everyone.

Had a Rick Mayer dual vinyl. It was not made for me, but was made for a very similar sized rider.
2890025610098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

It didn't do it for me. While it was better than stock, it still didn't "spread the load" enough to prevent hot spots. I ended up sending my stock seats off to Russell for the Day Long in full leather. It is the best hands down.

2930824890098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

I have never sat on a Bill Mayer, but have heard that they are superior to his brother Rick's.

Interesting story on the incestuousness of custom saddle makers is that the patented wing design of the Russell Daylong Saddles was originally invented and then sold to Russell by Rick and Bill's father Bill Mayer Sr.. Seems those Mayers have saddle making in their genes.
Sorry what pattern is your seat, if you remember? I like the look of it.

Put my order with Russel today, production day is June 7, almost my birthday :) Looks like will have to spend 3 weeks or so in June with no bike (after I send them my stock seat), it sucks!

Anyone in Bay Area, I could borrow a seat for few weeks by any chance? :) I will pay rental!!!

Thanks everyone.
Why not do a ride-in? It's not like it's too far from you :eek:mg:

Sorry what pattern is your seat, if you remember? I like the look of it.
That is the "half moon" stitch pattern. The 1st gen seats look a bit different than the 2nd gen seats. In fact every seat they make looks unique IMO. On my seat I had to send it back for one adjustment, mostly because I should have told them in the original order that I wanted the seat scooped out in the rear to keep me from sliding forward toward the tank. That's why my front seat is so deeply sculpted.

Yeah, it is not so far away, I may check if it would be an option. I don't think they are super accommodating for drive in appointments in the summer.

Also about 5 hours trip on a stock seat doesn't sounds like a huge amount of fun to me :)

Yeah, it is not so far away, I may check if it would be an option. I don't think they are super accommodating for drive in appointments in the summer.Also about 5 hours trip on a stock seat doesn't sounds like a huge amount of fun to me :)
All three seat makers are in California and not to far from San Jose. Pick one and do a ride in. Bill Mayer and Russell are the best. Bill Mayer has always been able to fit me in. Call them.

Good luck.

Wow, may be I am just not hardcore enough, but 5 hours to the Russel and 6+ to Bill Mayers doesn't sound particularly close to me...

All three seat makers are in California and not to far from San Jose. Pick one and do a ride in. Bill Mayer and Russell are the best. Bill Mayer has always been able to fit me in. Call them.
Rick Mayer is up near Redding in Anderson, Bill Mayer is in Ojai, near Ventura/Santa Barbara. I've got over 60,000 miles on my Rick Mayer and am happy (I rode in) - only hinky stuff I've ever heard of with Rick is his record keeping can SUCK if you don't ride in. Couple people have had to repeatedly request refunds when everything was done by mail. Shouldn't be a problem for you - he's maybe 4 hours away and an excellent guy. Haven't heard anything bad about Bill (AKA Rocky) Mayer, who is all of 5 hours away. Both make very fine seats for considerably less than the Russell. (Oop, just looked at the estimated times above - I might have been a bit optimistic - or I just ride too fast).

As to seat choice, the way I understand it, if you're over about 215#, go with the Russell since they use springs - both the Mayers use different densities of foam, which just isn't as good for a heavyweight. If you're lighter than the cutoff, the Russell is still the gold standard for comfort, but I've heard people who were REALLY irritated by the inability to slide their butt to the inside on a corner because the "wings" are too stiff. I know Rick Mayer's wings don't get in the way of sliding a cheek to weight shift while cornering. No personal experience w/ Rocky/Bill Mayer's seat's wings.

Good luck. You should be happier than on the stock seat with any of the 3.

Actually price is about the same for all 3. (I am looking at Vinyl)

Very minor difference, under 50$ I think.