Me being an influence. Bad or good, I don't know.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we have a wide spectrum of riders on FJRs...sportbike crowd, HD crowd, LD crowd, Wing crowd, people starting with the FJR as a first bike crowd, and people who are returning to bikes after 20 years crowd.

Sidetrack: Therefore, when posting up a ride, either know your riders, or ask a lot of questions of the riders previous ride before taking off on the ride...to try to minimize issues during the ride. I've seen it all in the nearly 10 years of FJR ownership. BTW, what previous bike you've owned does not necessarily translate into how good a rider you are...I've found out.
biggrin.png

She wasn't dressed for a test ride. I did however have her climb up on my bike before we set off to the dealership to see what she thought. In the parking lot they sat two up to see how well it would work. After that, I think she'll be fine. Though her past pillion experience was on a Harley, so she'll have to get used to a smooth engine, moving at speeds above 40mph, no roadside repairs, and not having to fill up with oil more often than gas.
biggrin.png

She wasn't dressed for a test ride. I did however have her climb up on my bike before we set off to the dealership to see what she thought. In the parking lot they sat two up to see how well it would work. After that, I think she'll be fine. Though her past pillion experience was on a Harley, so she'll have to get used to a smooth engine, moving at speeds above 40mph, no roadside repairs, and not having to fill up with oil more often than gas. :D
Lmao!!!! :))

Yeah, we have a wide spectrum of riders on FJRs...sportbike crowd, HD crowd, LD crowd, Wing crowd, people starting with the FJR as a first bike crowd, and people who are returning to bikes after 20 years crowd.
Sidetrack: Therefore, when posting up a ride, either know your riders, or ask a lot of questions of the riders previous ride before taking off on the ride...to try to minimize issues during the ride. I've seen it all in the nearly 10 years of FJR ownership. BTW, what previous bike you've owned does not necessarily translate into how good a rider you are...I've found out.
biggrin.png
Or how long someone has been riding!

biggrin.png
Yeah, no kidding. I've ridden several times with a guy who has been riding since his teens (he's 60 now), and he's actually gone off the road in front of me twice in sharp curves. Luckily, we were on KLRs at the time. Would not have been pretty on an FJR.

Well, after dealing with shady salesman crap, he's the proud owner of a sweet black 08 FJR. His girlfriend is a keeper though. He rode it home and she said "We need to take it on a trip, better buy a top box!"
biggrin.png

He's researching farkles already.
biggrin.png

BTW, what previous bike you've owned does not necessarily translate into how good a rider you are...I've found out.
biggrin.png
+1

I read somewhere to "Never confuse experience with ability."

I myself am proof that practice does NOT make perfect and that just because I have been riding a long time does not mean I am good at it. Slow, not good is my motto.

Practice does not make perfect! Perfect practice makes perfect. If your practice is fucked up, your end result will be too.

I truly believe that we are the best sellers of the bike we love. Nothing like riding into a dealership and the potential buyer comes to you and asks a 100 questions about the bike. Then we have answered the questions does the person go back and buy the bike. I almost want to go up to the dealer and ask what do I get for free since I just sold a bike for you!!!!

I work in a Auto Parts store and over the Memorial Day Weekend( Which I ended up working all weekend) I sold the FJR 3 times to people who were thinking about one but could not find someone that owned one.

Well, after dealing with shady salesman crap, he's the proud owner of a sweet black 08 FJR. His girlfriend is a keeper though. He rode it home and she said "We need to take it on a trip, better buy a top box!"
biggrin.png

He's researching farkles already.
biggrin.png
Steer him in the right direction Jasen...you done good so far!

--G

Jasen and I have known and ridden with each other for years, and while he can sometimes get carried away with too much information I have always trusted his opinion...except when it comes to V-Twins!
fool.gif

I probably would not have bought the FJR as I have been a Honda fan since owning an 02 CBR954 (Which Jasen has been on, and I have pics to prove it!) but since Jasen recommended it and had nothing but nice things to say...here I am, the new owner of an 08 FJR! (except mine still has the left side lever..)

Jasen and I have known and ridden with each other for years, and while he can sometimes get carried away with too much information I have always trusted his opinion...except when it comes to V-Twins! :fool: I probably would not have bought the FJR as I have been a Honda fan since owning an 02 CBR954 (Which Jasen has been on, and I have pics to prove it!) but since Jasen recommended it and had nothing but nice things to say...here I am, the new owner of an 08 FJR! (except mine still has the left side lever..)
Welcome to the family & the forum!

Enjoy the farkling, but especially the (s)miles!

Every once in a while, I take my youngest daughter on a ride. She squeals with delight every time I twist that throttle above 4k rpm. And equipped with something like a Russel Day Long rear seat, ya'd have the best of both worlds.

Gary

darksider #44

One of my friends has a MultiStrada. One of the things he likes (not) about it is how the dealership stores it for him every winter- you know, while waiting for parts for the warranty repairs.

He's been talking Concours14 for a couple years now. FInally took the bait today and took my FJR for a spin.

Spouse Unit says I'm an enabler. I think I'm more just a decider-helper. :D

Jasen and I have known and ridden with each other for years, and while he can sometimes get carried away with too much information I have always trusted his opinion...except when it comes to V-Twins! :fool: I probably would not have bought the FJR as I have been a Honda fan since owning an 02 CBR954 (Which Jasen has been on, and I have pics to prove it!) but since Jasen recommended it and had nothing but nice things to say...here I am, the new owner of an 08 FJR! (except mine still has the left side lever..)
Good job on trusting your friend, it's a great bike with a strong history of reliability and long distance touring. As far as your girlfriend goes, she definitely sounds like a keeper. Already looking forward to a long trip, does she have any unmarried sisters? :D

For starters, when the budget allows I would highly recommend a Russell DayLong Saddle (as others have recommended) for touring. I have the dual heated version, and that feature alone did more to increase the happiness of my pillion riders than any other mod. My first ride on the new RDL saddle was last fall, N. Michigan to Eastern PA nonstop. Love the bike, but the seat was the clincher. Over 3k miles in 6 days of riding, only sore parts were neck and knees.

Happy riding, glad you joined the forum, and feel free to search or PM any of us with questions. Unlike Jasen, we are a completely brand-unbiased pool of wisdom and knowledge! ;)

Abe in Michigan