Motorcycle Accidents and Riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't see dropping $800-$1200 dollar for a leather riding suit. Been doing some reading and shopping and Leather-up seems to be a good place, but no koodos to them yet, I haven't ordered.
This is a new company coming into the gear market. Their stuff looks really nice... yet unproven. I expect that once upon a time Aerostich & Moto Port were also like that. Note that prices for a new to the market company are outstandng: clicketh hereth

If I were in the market for new gear, I'd definitely try it out.

The lesson here is you can not pick your crash.
To an extent, I think some of the HD riders I've been associated with over the years have found a way to pick their own crash, especially when you hear things like, "I wasn't sure if I could make it so I laid'er down." My immediate question is always, by laying it down, didn't you just guarantee a crash rather than potentially avoiding one? :ph34r:

But yeah, I agree with you. Once it happens, regardless of the cause, you're basically along for the ride.

This is a new company coming into the gear market. Their stuff looks really nice... yet unproven. I expect that once upon a time Aerostich & Moto Port were also like that. Note that prices for a new to the market company are outstandng: clicketh hereth
Hey! Maybe you just found Janet's gear. I like the prices!

you guys scare me,after all that I think I'll stay home and have a stroke in my recliner,not a chance in hell !,rather die on my scoot any day.

I dont think you can wear too much protection

I took several advanced riding instruction classes at a 7/8" mile track this year. lots of turns, relatively low speeds.

It was quite hot so instead of wearing my full leather race suit I wore just the pants with my ALpinestars armoured mesh jacket on top.

also full gauntlet race gloves and race boots.

2 low sides between 30 and 50 mph.

no injury or rash either time. maybe just luck the jacket didn't slide up my torso but it convinced me the gear is worth the inevitable sacrifice in comfort.

Currently I wear a 3/4 touring helmet. Was thinking modular, looked like that was what most of the IBR riders were sporting.

But, it make since the modular could come ajar, oh well, as many has stated; you don't plan your accidents.

I however try to have a thought in mind of what or how I would react in an accident, that 1/1000 of a second you have to decide which way your weight will go. (yea right?)

Another thing, I have learned from this, Jeans are comfortable, but not functional.

To each his own, pretty much sums it up.

From what your wear to how you ride your bike.

Check the thread on the White Mountains Ride from August. 12 other bikes witnessed my 15 mph high-side. Most of us, including me, left that scene wondering "WTF just happened?"

Good pictures of my hamburg knees in there and a real badass looking technicolor hip. Just over 3 weeks later and I'm down to where I'm only putting band-aids on my right knee still. Add $100 to the $100 or so I put into bandages and dressings, not to mention the ambulance ride and ER services, and I could have bought a pretty decent pair of riding pants and spared myself a lot of pain as an added benefit.

Levi's 505's are not riding pants... repeat 5,000 times.

All my other gear worked fine. As a matter of fact, the rest of my gear worked GREAT!

.Of course after I crash you can all say, 'lot of good his damn attitude did him'.
They do say there are 2 types of riders, those that have crashed... and those that are going to... I hope you never join my group...
I have crashed, seven times so far, but not once in the last 20 years. Not one of these get offs had anything to do with another vehicle, just me going too fast, or in one case modifiying the suspension with hacksawed shims (yeah, I'm not very bright, lol).

I keep the bike in the highest gear that pulls good, avoiding having to control more power than is required. It is amazing how many of the crashes documented on this forum have to do with running lower gears at high revs, just a little movement of the wrist and the rear wheel loses traction.

Hey! Maybe you just found Janet's gear. I like the prices!
Caution, 'you get what you pay for'

I've gone down hard enough to total my bike ( BMW) and spend 10 days in the hospital. Luckily the helmet,jacket, and gloves I had prevented more serious injuries . No protective gear would have stopped the broken ribs /lacerated spleen from having the bike land on them after an extreme stoppie/flip .

I always wear boots/gloves/jacket usually with crash pads/ and a full face. There are times when it's in the mid 90's when it is a bit unpleasent, so I try to ride in the mornings on those days.

As soon as weather permits , leather goes on the bottom half as well.

Good well fitting safety equipment is a wise investment, a lot cheaper than hospital bills , and it keeps you riding for many more years.

Buy the best gear you can afford....and wear it!

Since I returned to motorcycling I have continually improved the amount and quality of protective clothing I wear while riding. The first year it was full face helmet, good gloves and a Joe Rocket jacket. Over the ensuing years I've added riding pants (3 or 4 iterations of over pants); various armored riding jackets; leather gloves; motorcycle boots (rather than hiking or work boots). I now wear Cycleport Kevlar mesh. That's MY choice.

Personally, I am a bit frustrated that some motorcyclists will spend vast sums of money to upgrade their bikes: boost horsepower, improve suspension, custom paint, electronic toys, chrome or billet accessories, comfort items like seats and footpegs, etc. Those same riders will argue about spending money to protect their bodies from degrees of injury or gear that would/could affect their survival should an unfortunate turn of events occur.

Everyone will make their own decision about the level of protection they are willing or able to purchase and use. The deciding factor for me is this:

When you're in the middle of an impending unforeseen incident (hard on the brakes because of an errant driver or while in mid-air following an unfortunate happenstance) it will be too late to buy or put on protective gear.

Yesterday, on my way home from the James Burleigh Labor Day Ride, while on the Rio Vista Ferry, the operator asked me, "Isn't that gear hot?"

I showed him that it was mesh (unzipped the jacket and let him look through it) and explained it was woven kevlar. I told him, "I always dress for the crash I don't want and didn't plan."

YMMV

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
.Of course after I crash you can all say, 'lot of good his damn attitude did him'.
They do say there are 2 types of riders, those that have crashed... and those that are going to... I hope you never join my group...
I have crashed, seven times so far, but not once in the last 20 years. Not one of these get offs had anything to do with another vehicle, just me going too fast, or in one case modifiying the suspension with hacksawed shims (yeah, I'm not very bright, lol).

I keep the bike in the highest gear that pulls good, avoiding having to control more power than is required. It is amazing how many of the crashes documented on this forum have to do with running lower gears at high revs, just a little movement of the wrist and the rear wheel loses traction.
Good advice that should be heeded by all. Personally, I've been riding street for 30 years and had never gone down until this July. While many accidents can be blamed on cagers not paying attention, more yet on newbies getting in over their heads or not paying attention or target fixation, etc, etc, ect.

What they all have in common is our ability to choose to wear suitable protection when we climb on the bike. I know that protection is a personal choice and I respect everyone's right to not wear a helmet (where you legally have the right to choose) or wear appropriate protective gear. But I would remind all of my riding brethren that your wife, children, grandchildren, friends and co-workers would all like to see you safely come home every time you ride. They will suffer in some cases more then you will should you go down hard.

If you won't wear it for yourself, wear it for them... :clapping:

CTFJR, If I took that attitude then life would really be boring. Ive been blown up and dodged bullets, had parachutes fail on me. Ive come within inches of the mouth of a 12'+ tiger shark. Ive crashed motorcycles and cars. Ive surfed the North Shore of Hawaii in conditions way bigger than I should have ever gone out in. The only painful thing I have avoided is marrage. Yet here I stand.

Einstein put it best, relativity. Life is relative to the observer. Some see it from the cheap seats, some get front row and some actually participate. I choose to participate. I believe you get one chance at all of this and I am going to make the most while I am here. After all, no one gets out alive. Do I just throw caution to the wind and damn the concequences? Sometimes. Is this stupid? Sometimes. However I never take others with me nor do I endanger others. Someone here gave the greatest advice I have ever heard about riding. 1 you can never take a turn to slow and 2 NEVER outride your brakes.

Keeping this on topic, we all know riding is dangerous. No matter if you are a squid or Rossi, one car not paying attention can really mess up your day even if you are doing everything right. When this does happen not all gear is the same. Some mesh is better than others. Some textile is better than others. From my experience cow has always been cow. It all depends on how much risk you want to take. A perfect example, helmets. Lets just keep this simple. Shoei helmets. Lets take two of the most popular, RF1000 and X-11. Both good helmets. Both full face and both DOT and SNELL but they do not protect the same. The RF1000 is not track approve yet the X-11 is. Does that make the RF a bad helmet? No, but it tells me that the X-11 is a better helmet.

Like everything in life you get what you pay for. We all get what we can afford, but after making that purchase I always have that voice in my head wondering if I could have gotten something better. Or I wonder was that extra $50 or $100 really worth it.

With the FJR I hope I never have to test another piece of protective gear but that bridge over the Gaulley River in West Virginia is calling my name on Bridge Day.

I don't feel it's my business to tell anyone what or what not to wear. Hell, I don't care if you ride around buck naked (ladies only please.....haha). The fact is the more safety gear you put on the more of a danger you are to others on the road, reduced comfort, mobility, hearing, and vision. Not to mention the ones dawned in full leathers head to toe and a full face with sport boots are much more likely to be the ones riding aggressively and obliterating the speed limit thus endangering others even more so. Most guys cruising around in shorts, flip flops, t-shirt, and shades are taking it pretty easy and are fine by me. To each his own.

CTFJR, If I took that attitude then life would really be boring.
OK Slappy, I'll buy that - but you left off ". . . for me"

Some might say that the number of accidents you have had indicate either overconfidence or lack of mastery, maybe not. Maybe you are just unlucky. Some say we make our own luck - I believe that.

but that bridge over the Gaulley River in West Virginia is calling my name on Bridge Day.
Ah, the river beneath the bridge is the New River. The Gauley River is not far away; it's the most fun white water rafting river I've been on.

CTFJR, If I took that attitude then life would really be boring.
OK Slappy, I'll buy that - but you left off ". . . for me"

Some might say that the number of accidents you have had indicate either overconfidence or lack of mastery, maybe not. Maybe you are just unlucky. Some say we make our own luck - I believe that.
He is very ugly if that helps.

how-021108-sloth.jpg

but that bridge over the Gaulley River in West Virginia is calling my name on Bridge Day.
Ah, the river beneath the bridge is the New River. The Gauley River is not far away; it's the most fun white water rafting river I've been on.
I read an article in Rider that talked about the roads in that area and up around that ski resort, snowshoe I think. Next chance I get for a multi-day ride, that's where I'm headed. Sorry, a little off topic.