Motorcycle Accidents and Riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you can't hear the wind with your helmet on, thanks for proving my point. :rolleyes:
I tried to just drive by this train wreck without stopping...

First I think gearman is suggesting when riding with no helmet and no faring/screen you can't hear anything BUT wind noise at any speed over 25-30 mph. I know for a FACT I hear things with my helmet on at speed that I cannot hear riding with no helmet.

You say we cannot argue against facts, please produce some. I'll read what you've got to say. In fact, I know a guy that races at a very high level nationally. Maybe we can put him over the top by getting rid of his restrictive leathers, vision and hearing reducing helmet and so on. I know he'll go faster without the worry of sliding across the asphalt, dirt and grass in his boxers.

Me personally, I only feel comfortable riding with my gear, even though it makes me "more of a danger to others on the road." I guess the better question is, that if you have inarguable facts that you are more dangerous on the road to others wearing your sense restrictive protective gear, why the hell are you wearing so much then?

FACT: Sunglasses, the faceshield on your helmet and your Cee Bailey reverse flip windscreen ALL reduce the clarity of what you view through them. You would never watch tv looking through all that restrictive shit would you? But try to ride down the road at 65+ mph with nothing in front of your eyes or face, how well do you see now?

Holy fucking illogical argument batman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon and Prince study investigated the effects of helmets on field of vision. Full coverage helmets lost 7.3% (16.9 degrees) of the horizontal plane and 21.9% (51.7 degrees) of the lateral plane.

Putswell and Dorris study had subjects attempt to detect and localize two types of signals either a car horn or a siren. once with no helmet, once with a full face shield, and once with no face shield. This study took place both in the laboratory and outdoors. In both cases they found that wearing a helmet had a detrimental impact on signal detection.

Every state wants a helmet law. It's not hard to find claims that there is no vision or hearing loss, however every one of these claims state that riders compensate for the vision loss by turning their heads further to see and that the hearing loss isn't "significant".

Of course the benefits outweigh the detriments, but to say there's no negative impact from ATGATT is BS.

Gordon and Prince study investigated the effects of helmets on field of vision. Full coverage helmets lost 7.3% (16.9 degrees) of the horizontal plane and 21.9% (51.7 degrees) of the lateral plane.
Putswell and Dorris study had subjects attempt to detect and localize two types of signals either a car horn or a siren. once with no helmet, once with a full face shield, and once with no face shield. This study took place both in the laboratory and outdoors. In both cases they found that wearing a helmet had a detrimental impact on signal detection.
Purswell and Dorris:

"The authors conclude that the effects of helmets upon the ability to see and hear are, at most, far too small to compromise the safety benefits offered by head protection."

"The results indicate that wearing helmets restricts neither the ability to hear horn signals nor the likelihood of visually detecting a vehicle in an

adjacent lane prior to initiating a lane change. With respect to hearing, differences in hearing threshold across helmet conditions are not only non-

significant, but almost nonexistent."

https://nickolson.net/helmet1.htm

This thread has drifted into the twilight zone.

Purswell and Dorris:

"The authors conclude that the effects of helmets upon the ability to see and hear are, at most, far too small to compromise the safety benefits offered by head

protection."

https://nickolson.net/helmet1.htm

This thread has drifted into the twilight zone.
I agree 100%, the benefits far outweigh any negative effect, nobody said don't wear a helmet.