Motorcycle Accidents and Riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sorry its the New River Bridge. You are right the Gauley river is just down the road. Suppose to be the second most technical river in the US and the 5th most technical in the world. New River was rather tame. This is the time of year when the open the dam isnt it?

CTFJR you are correct that should have said "for me."

Johnny80, Im not that ugly. My mom didnt have to feed me with a sling shot like yours did. :blink:

Im sorry its the New River Bridge. You are right the Gauley river is just down the road. Suppose to be the second most technical river in the US and the 5th most technical in the world. New River was rather tame. This is the time of year when the open the dam isnt it?
If you get the chance to do the Gauley, do it. Great fun. I haven't checked the opening dates but, yes, I think Sep/Oct. The noise and energy of the water shooting from the dam gates is incredible.

Dainese is now developing air bag racing suits that deploy to protect the riders neck, torso, and hips if he parts company with the bike via a lanyard that releases a co2 cartridge charge. This technology is available to the general riding public also. I have been riding for a long time, have had a couple of accidents, and the older I get, I know the harder it will be to recover from the next accident, so I am seriously looking into the air bag jacket products made by a company out of Japan, called Hit-Air. Their stuff is distributed in the U.S by bikebone.com. In my research, I found out that more and more police motor cops are wearing these things. Also, the latest iteration of these types of jackets, at least the ones by Hit Air, are not too bad looking, and they are available in hot and cold weather formats. I believe the acceptance and use of these air bag jackets is in the early stages and will eventually be as commonplace as full faced helmets. Anybody out there FeejrLand have any experience with this technology? One thing for certain, dear old Mom would worry a lot less about me being on a bike if had one.

As an investigator of vehicle crashes, I have found that leather has better abrasion resistence than any other material. I can only advise on leather, mesh, nylon and denim. Seems like the leather holds up better by remaining intact. Mesh and nylon are good but depending upon the distance of sliding these materials have a tendency to heat up, melt , and then burn through. Heavier denim will obviously be a little more abrasio[resistent than say, Levi's. I wear an Alpinestars leather jacket, Shoei RF-1000 helmet, Alpinestars SMX-2 gloves, and Shift denim riding pants for the summer. This gear is good-to-go here in Oregon up to about 95 degrees. Hope this helps.

I'd rather sweat than bleed - as I've already done both previously.

So, now I'm ATGATT - which I make easy by wearing an Aerostich [which is being cleaned and repaired after 13 years. I'm back to black leather... and not so happy. anxiousy awaiting my stich's return]. I'd don't care if people ask about the snowmobile suit (for real, and this is in SoCal where NOBODY has a snowmobile.. go figure) or parachute outfit.

I riding daily to work and then occassional longer rides when family commitments permit. As others have said, what is important is that you were the gear. Wearing leather pants is a hassle (though I'm doing it). Wearing my 'stich - no hassle, quick and easy. And good for 30+ to 100+. Granted thick leather would be better at speeds above 80-90mph, but realistically, as a percentage of riding time, I'm not in that range that often enough to make the convenience (incl weather flexibility for my year-round riding) trade-off worth it to me.

The fact is the more safety gear you put on the more of a danger you are to others on the road, reduced comfort, mobility, hearing, and vision.
THAT is by far, one of the most incorrect, downright stupid things I have ever read on this forum. I am really truly sorry you actually believe that crap. It is far from fact and all of it is absolutely untrue, as many here are saying repeatedly in this thread.

The fact is the more safety gear you put on the more of a danger you are to others on the road, reduced comfort, mobility, hearing, and vision.
THAT is by far, one of the most incorrect, downright stupid things I have ever read on this forum. I am really truly sorry you actually believe that crap. It is far from fact and all of it is absolutely untrue, as many here are saying repeatedly in this thread.
+1

If there is a contest for the most retarded thing posted on this forum this year then I believe you've taken first place.

* Full face helmet w/ visor. Sunglasses during daytime for UV protection. I can heard AND see MUCH better than w/out a helmet. The wind isn't knocking my eyelids around or buffeting my ears.

* Kevlar jacket with armored padding.

* Kevlar pant with armoed padding.

* Kevlar gloves with knuckle protection.

* Boots that go above the ankle.

I'm not an expert but after researching the long-term durability and crash-tested results of Wayne's kevlar gear then I will not wear anything else even if I do look a bit "puffy" wearing it. I have the air-mesh jacket and pant and find it works for me here in CO both in the cold and the hot days.

I suggest you look into Wayne's gear as a very long-term investment. How many manufacturers will give you the guarantee Wayne does that if it tears during a crash it will be repaired for free?

Correctumundo....that perspective of 'less is best', can be confusing to some and could lead someone to do just that, who should be ATGATT.

FJRCHIK, I know you speak from very recent experience. Hope you are doing well with your recovery and found that new ride.

Just received my Fieldsheer paddock track II full leather jacket 'Gunmetal'....This baby is heavy, even came with a liner that is actually a windbreaker jacket also. It is heavily constructed with solid leather and great stitching.

Heck, I put it on and felt the ole' football urge to run into a wall... Great buy from 'NewEnough' as recommended by DRFaulken.

Still haven't plunged on the new helmet. As I ride with a 3/4 touring helmet, I was set on a modular, now I am not so sure..mod or full face. I'll decide soon. Leather pants ought to be in soon.

Yesterday as I pulled into the driveway my neighbor was watching me. I had all my gear on. He came up to me and said I looked like an alien from outer space. When I told him all the clothing was kevlar he said "I don't ride anymore after my accident, but if I were, then that's the stuff I'd wear. No question."

Last edited by a moderator:
You are absolutely right. A full face helmet has zero affect on your peripheral vision, I hear much better with 2" of padding, styrofoam, & kevlar slapped over each ear, head to toe leather in 95 degree weather makes me so comfortable that I find it easy to maintain superhuman like focus, water isn't really wet, up is really down, you're absolutely right. I should share credit of ignorance with those who are experts in the field of riding safety, those that have worked in the field of motorcycle safety there whole lives, that's where my views originated. I don't advocate what anyone should wear, I'm not a fascist, but to say that full gear has an adverse affect on the senses is just common sense and IS FACT. :blink:

You are absolutely right. A full face helmet has zero affect on your peripheral vision, I hear much better with 2" of padding, styrofoam, & kevlar slapped over each ear, head to toe leather in 95 degree weather makes me so comfortable that I find it easy to maintain superhuman like focus,
Perhaps you and I wear different types of helmet, or maybe my peripheral vision isn't as all-encompassing as yours, but I don't find that my vision is restricted by the helmet at all. In fact, there are times when I'm riding into the sun that I will tilt the helmet down slightly, to help obscure that early morning or late afternoon dazzle. I also choose to wear earplugs with my helmet, to cut down on the fatigue and hearing loss, induced by wind noise.

My jacket and pants protect me better than any sunscreen could. They reduce the amount of dehydration due to evaporation too. And should it happen to rain, I feel more comfortable when warm and dry, with my gear on.

When DH took a tumble from his dual sport last weekend, and found his ankle pinned between the side case and the ground. Thanks to a very sturdy pair of Sidi boots, he has a sore ankle rather than a fracture.

It's a wonderful world, where we all have choices about the amount of gear that we wear when riding our bikes. I respect that your choices are different to mine, but rather think that the majority of FJR forum members favor most, if not all the gear, most if not all the time.

You are absolutely right. A full face helmet has zero affect on your peripheral vision, I hear much better with 2" of padding, styrofoam, & kevlar slapped over each ear, head to toe leather in 95 degree weather makes me so comfortable that I find it easy to maintain superhuman like focus, water isn't really wet, up is really down, you're absolutely right. I should share credit of ignorance with those who are experts in the field of riding safety, those that have worked in the field of motorcycle safety there whole lives, that's where my views originated. I don't advocate what anyone should wear, I'm not a fascist, but to say that full gear has an adverse affect on the senses is just common sense and IS FACT. :blink:
Please tell me your trying to bait the good folks on this forum. You have to know how stupid your argument sounds...

<_<

You are absolutely right. A full face helmet has zero affect on your peripheral vision, I hear much better with 2" of padding, styrofoam, & kevlar slapped over each ear, head to toe leather in 95 degree weather makes me so comfortable that I find it easy to maintain superhuman like focus,
Perhaps you and I wear different types of helmet, or maybe my peripheral vision isn't as all-encompassing as yours, but I don't find that my vision is restricted by the helmet at all. In fact, there are times when I'm riding into the sun that I will tilt the helmet down slightly, to help obscure that early morning or late afternoon dazzle. I also choose to wear earplugs with my helmet, to cut down on the fatigue and hearing loss, induced by wind noise.

My jacket and pants protect me better than any sunscreen could. They reduce the amount of dehydration due to evaporation too. And should it happen to rain, I feel more comfortable when warm and dry, with my gear on.

When DH took a tumble from his dual sport last weekend, and found his ankle pinned between the side case and the ground. Thanks to a very sturdy pair of Sidi boots, he has a sore ankle rather than a fracture.

It's a wonderful world, where we all have choices about the amount of gear that we wear when riding our bikes. I respect that your choices are different to mine, but rather think that the majority of FJR forum members favor most, if not all the gear, most if not all the time.
Like I said, I don't advocate either way. I happen to wear a full face exo 700 helmet, armored heavy leather jacket and riding specific boots. I not sure why you would assume otherwise. Who said wear a t-shirt and shorts with shades in the rain? Some riders dress appropriate to the conditions and riding style, some wear ATGATT. If you have wind noise get a cee-bailey with reverse flip, it shuts off the noise like flipping a light switch, it goes away, you know the wind noise is turbulence from the helmet.......lol.

Please tell me your trying to bait the good folks on this forum. You have to know how stupid your argument sounds...

<_<
What argument, there's no argument, you can't argue with facts. Maybe you're confusing the fact that ATGATT has adverse affects to the senses with it's a good idea to wear the shit in the case you go down. It's not like this shit hasn't been tested a billion times over. For me, I want a full shell on my head the next time I go down, it still hampers vision and hearing.....fact. :rolleyes:

I don't buy the "can't hear with a helmet on" argument. Occasionally I'll jump on the SV and ride around my neighborhood sans gear. The one thing I notice immediately is that wind noise at 25~30 mph is louder than my helmet at 60! And no, I don't have Howdy Doody ears! A friend of my son crashed his HD a few night ago. He is in ICU with multiple broken bones and serious road rash. Gear would not have done much to prevent the broken bones, but would have lessened the severity the other injuries. I never saw him wear a helmet and there was no head trauma (that I know of) so I assume God gave him a break this time around.

I don't buy the "can't hear with a helmet on" argument. Occasionally I'll jump on the SV and ride around my neighborhood sans gear. The one thing I notice immediately is that wind noise at 25~30 mph is louder than my helmet at 60! And no, I don't have Howdy Doody ears! A friend of my son crashed his HD a few night ago. He is in ICU with multiple broken bones and serious road rash. Gear would not have done much to prevent the broken bones, but would have lessened the severity the other injuries. I never saw him wear a helmet and there was no head trauma (that I know of) so I assume God gave him a break this time around.
So you can't hear the wind with your helmet on, thanks for proving my point. :rolleyes:

Is there a way to block someone replies so as to not waste my time with seeing (being notified of) moronic drivel?

Yes - not hearing the wind is a good thing - it means instead you can hear approaching cars, horns, sirens, etc instead. But I know I'm wasting my time - You are either a troll, or someone for whom logic and rational discourse is wasted upon. You refer to facts but obviously have no idea what one really is, or fail to distinguish (either through lack of ability or by choice) between opinon and fact.