Motorcyclist mag pans FJR-AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Like the majority of American moto-rags, it's just a typically worthless advertisement platform for manufacturers and vendors; reading it should be considered for entertainment purposes only.... " :glare:

I would read them if they had centerfolds. :blink:

Dale...what are you saying?....Yamaha should have paid them more bribe money than the bike producers? :lol: .....
After reading the full MC article just tonight, I don't think Yammy can overcome the Honda bribes.... :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, it is MC we're talking about... they've been wearing Honda kneepads for years, and anyone who has been watching MC that last decade and a half knows it.

Hence my stance that one should read it "for entertainment purposes only", because it certainly doesn't bear much resemblance to reality... :glare:

The above having been said, Yamaha is not 100% blameless here.... had they provided a complete motorcycle (FJR1300A), it's likely to have had a much different outcome.

But again, it's not like it matters any..... it's Motorcyclist, after all.... :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand why everyone's having such a shit over the FJR not being picked the best everything in every bike magazine test. Yes, I own an 05 and I really enjoy it. Who cares what others think? I agree it's nice when my bike comes out tops in a test, but I've bought bikes that didn't win tests and enjoyed them immensely - because that's what I wanted to buy! I use magazines for the technical information as well as the riders' subjective comments - I decide if the issues they comment on will make a difference to me.

Further, it should come as no surprise that the FJR is eclipsed by something newer. Sure, it was revamped for 06, but the basic package first came out in Europe in 02, as I recall. That makes the 06 the fifth model year for the basic platform, so someone is going to produce something newer & better eventually. Me, I can't wait for the new Concours 14. The FJR heat issue doesn't really bother me, vibration is OK, windshield a bit irritating but I can live with it. I find the power to be OK - revs a little too slowly for my liking, and redlines too soon, but works very well. Then, there's the ticking issue - mine doesn't do it, and maybe it's resolved. All these things add up to a bike that's not perfect, but I know that - I knew it before I bought the bike and have enjoyed it very much. But, progress moves on, and so may I.

So, stop shitting yourselves about magazine tests - just go out there and ride and remind yourself how great it is to be biking today. I'm into motorcycles to ride them, not to read & whine.

As I recall, the motorcyle mags (and I) liked the FJR for being right in the center of the sport-touring continuum. Comfortable enough for the Iron Butt crowd but a hoot to ride. Yamaha moved the '06 a little to the touring side, the testers didn't like the automatic clutch, factor in the increased weight and decreased performance (the Honda's faster, for God's sake), and the ranking is no big surprise.

The mags have to rank the bikes, but that doesn't mean the FJR isn't a great bike. I'd opt for the A model. Motorcyclist noted that the A would have fared differently in the rankings. I know that most people who own the AE love it, but I'm waiting for one that shifts better than I do.

... and decreased performance (the Honda's faster, for God's sake), and the ranking is no big surprise.
Are you serious? Could you post the stats that go with that statement?

I'd read it myself, but I gave up on Motorcyclist many moons ago - partly for the ass kissing that's been mentioned, but mostly because they'd review everything as if it were a sportbike. You'd read things like, "but the Harley Road King really started show its design is getting a little long in the tooth entering turn three at Laguna Seca..". Feh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcyclist lists the corrected quarter mile times asST1300: [email protected]

K1200GT: [email protected]

FJR AE: [email protected]
Okay. Now I feel better. MCNews found 10.68 @ 126.28 mph for the 2003 standard. I'd expect the 2006 A to be a little slower because of weight and taller final drive gearing, but not as slow as 11.86. I'd have to believe the 2006 A is faster than the AE, unless you're able to get the 5.5 shifts per second that some (R.I.P.) are capable of achieving.

IIRC Motorcyclist had pegged the '03 at just a hair over 11 seconds, so they're calling the AE roughly .8 seconds slower. Weight + higher gearing + slower shifting (the AE doesn't do clutchless upshifts)? Different rider? Same rider but older and slower? Rider had more to drink? Typo?

The AE shifts slower than an experienced rider on an A and offers a benefit to a only select few individuals. It is interesting but not a bike I would ever own.
The number I've seen bandied about is 60 milliseconds for the AE shift, consistently, which is not likely to be slower than a human rider, regardless of experience level. This smells an awful lot like the old "an experienced rider can stop faster without ABS" argument, which of course is BS, too. :lol:

I am curious as to one thing they said in the article. They said it was difficult to do a U-turn because at anything below 2000 RPM they were freewheeling and could lose power and fall over. Does anybody here have an AE that actually does this? Mine begins engaging the clutch on takeoff above 1500 RPM or so, but if I slow down to do a U turn, as long as I am moving, my bike will keep the clutch engaged even at an idle, all the way up the street if I want it to. It does not disengage the clutch until I apply the brakes and come to a stop.

They also complained about slow downshifts and notchy takeoffs. The Takeoff takes a bit of practice, but the downshifts on my bike are right now on demand.

I think they had a lemon. :p

Roy

On a 0-60 time does the transmission have to be in neutral before the flag drops or is it already in 1st gear?

If it's already in 1st gear how do you launch the AE at an elevated rpm? Wouldn't its rpm have to build from idle?