Muffler Alignment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poudre Dude

Reaction score
On my bike, the rear tire is not centered between the mufflers. Or, put another way, the mufflers are not the same distance from the tire. The left muffler (the shaft drive side) is about 1" farther away from the tire than the right muffler.

Just looks strange to me. I am wondering if all FJR's are like mine.

On my bike, the rear tire is not centered between the mufflers. Or, put another way, the mufflers are not the same distance from the tire. The left muffler (the shaft drive side) is about 1" farther away from the tire than the right muffler.
I'd go look, but your avatar has me locked in..... :lol:

I'd go look, but your avatar has me locked in..... :lol:
Me too. :lol2:

What does it look like with the bags on? My mufflers are pretty even.

You can loosen the bolt at the rear bracket, then the pinch bolt where they attach to the header and you should be able to rotate the muffler enough to balance them out.

Well, given that his avatar has, ahem, balance, mananna I'll go measure the pipes..

[SIZE=8pt]but not tonight, it's wet outside![/SIZE]

Since you have a 09 listed, I'm guessing they are the stock mufflers? The muffler has a bracket welded to it so it would be pretty hard for them to have moved. Oh and I'm still having a hard time getting away from the avitar Pierre has. Kinda makes a guy wonder what the front looks like. Enquiring minds want to know ya know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, one side of the bike has a gear housing on the wheel hub, and the other doesn't. Mebbe they had to clear that thing.

Ya know, one side of the bike has a gear housing on the wheel hub, and the other doesn't. Mebbe they had to clear that thing.
Aaaannnnndddd......

....they've been that way since the first FJRs were delivered in Europe.

Mine was that way, I shimmed out one side with washers to match the other. Got it pretty close, not perfect, but not nearly as noticeable now. Every bike I come up behind now, that has dual exhausts, I look to see if the pipes are equi-distant from the rear tire. There is one model Harley, not sure what model, that is WAY off.

DCH

I just measured my 08's. They are almost exactly even distance from the rear tire. Seems like I remember my 04 wasn't even distance though.

GP

Mine was that way, I shimmed out one side with washers to match the other. Got it pretty close, not perfect, but not nearly as noticeable now. Every bike I come up behind now, that has dual exhausts, I look to see if the pipes are equi-distant from the rear tire. There is one model Harley, not sure what model, that is WAY off.

DCH
Good idea! :yahoo: I am going to try that!

Being the OCD type that I am, I had to go inspect and measure my mufflers too. Thanks alot guys!

I am happy to report that my mufflers are evenly spaced on either side of my rear tire centerline.

My only thoughts are that if you have removed the rear wheel, check to insure that the rear wheel ABS sensor is properly seated.

Oh, and I'll have to agree that 'lowcountry joe's" avatar is vastly superior to the cartoon versions! (although I do notice a slight lack of symmetry) :thumbsupsmileyanim: