muzzys or hole shots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05fjrBluedevil

Reaction score
Okay, getting ready to replace scraped up exhaust cans, thinking of just getting rid of the cats and some heat that goes along with them.

I am leaning toward the hole shots, if I get these or another complete system, what else do i have to purchase?

can i install just the system and install them, running bike as is or do I have to install a pc3 too?

Thanks.

Also , is fz1 the correct longer stemmed mirrors?

I bought the Muzzy system because of price. I also prefer the single muffler system because I like the look and it gives easier access to the back wheel and shock. Some people have scraped the mid-pipe, which is a safety issue, but it hasn't happened to me.

For me, the only advantage of the Holeshot is that it is coated and will probably hold up better as it ages.

The Muzzy is very loud, too loud for my preference, and I have not heard the hole shots, but others have said that they are just as loud or louder.

If I were in the market for a full system I would go Holeshots. I don't want to worry if Muzzy fixed the problem of the exhaust touching down before the foot pegs.

I guess I'm an old party pooper, but why would you make the bike any louder? There's very little, if any, increase in performance and for sure an increase in sound level that'll only make non-bikers mad. Straight pipes on Harley's already do enough damage without adding to it!........IMO

I guess I'm an old party pooper, but why would you make the bike any louder? There's very little, if any, increase in performance and for sure an increase in sound level that'll only make non-bikers mad. Straight pipes on Harley's already do enough damage without adding to it!........IMO
First of all, the Holeshot system is NOWHERE NEAR as loud as "straight pipes on Harleys". Yes, they are louder than stock. Why would you make an '05 louder with this sytem!? Easy answer: An incredible decrease in heat and, IMHO, a much improved sound that will NOT necessarily make non-bikers mad. Despite some forum members' opinion, there is a middle ground between a stock FJR exhaust and "straight pipes". Having had first hand experience, I can assure you the Holeshot system falls into that middle ground. Can't comment on the Muzzy system. I've never had one and I won't make ignorant comments about it. I can only tell you there are advantages to the Holeshot system: exceptional quality, a dramatic decrease in heat and a GREAT sound are just a few of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '03 and heat has never been an issue for me. However, if heat is your issue why don't you open up the collection boxes, remove the cats and weld it back....leaving the stock cans alone? Has to be a much quieter solution. Loud motorcycles make lots of enemies!

jim

I have an '03 and heat has never been an issue for me. However, if heat is your issue why don't you open up the collection boxes, remove the cats and weld it back....leaving the stock cans alone? Has to be a much quieter solution. Loud motorcycles make lots of enemies!jim
Only problem with that is your stock system than becomes louder...& not legal in various states & countries

Muzzy is a great bang-for-the-buck system. I have their 4-1 on a Hayabusa and constantly get comments on how good it sounds. Not much louder then stock during normal riding and has a very "beefy" sport-car sound when on the throttle hard. IMO it's not loud, if I want loud I ride the harley and it too has slip-ons and not ven close in loudness to straight pipes. I love the Muzzy sound thus the reason I just installed their SS slip-ons on the 07 FJR and it sounds just like the Hayabusa.

[ An incredible decrease in heat and,

How much cooler, as in how many bars on the gauge did you go down? Any quantiative measurement would be good.

How much cooler, as in how many bars on the gauge did you go down? Any quantiative measurement would be good.
The "cooler" reference isn't so much to any drop in engine coolant temperature, but to the radiation of heat upward to the crotch area** from the engine, including that emanating upward from the cats that are pretty much directly south of the jewels. It is reported that removal of the cats results in lower testicular roasting temperatures.

I'm just about to install a Muzzy 4-1 and PCIII on my '05 after receiving the "quiet core" for installation in the can. So, before very long, I may have first hand experience and subjective judgments about reduced temperatures, noise levels and power improvement from the Muzzy. Hopefully, I will NOT be reporting on scraping the mid pipe.

** This is the heat issue beaten to death nearly every time someone rags on the FeeJeR's faults.

Well.

I am looking for a little more of a growl, out of my bike.

I am really looking for an improvement of heat on me as my season for riding isn't as enjoyable once the humid summer gets here.

I rode down to Atlanta to the motorcycle show and ran into someone, didn't get his name but he claimed to have gotten rid of the heat by installing the hole shot system. I came from cruisers so, I'll like a little rumble.

So my question is, can I just install the system, removing old header and cans and installing the hole shot system.

Do I also have to install a power commander or can I just adjust the co settings?

Does anyone have a good source/ vendor that gives us a better price on the hole shot system?

Once again thanks for your help and insight.

PS, I rode home from Daytona, I got behind a few cruisers, their pipes we giving me a headache! :blink:

I quickly moved around and in front of them no more head ache., I am not looking to have a loud loud bike, but a little rumble never hurts any one. :rolleyes:

Have to chime in here as I recently put the Holeshot slip-ons on. I love the sound .. not overly loud and they must knock 20 lbs off the overall weight. No real performance gain that I can feel but mileage is the same and so is everything else. I used to tell my older son that the FJR sounded like a Tiger purring .. now it's a Tiger growling. Very nice tone overall.

Al

Have to chime in here as I recently put the Holeshot slip-ons on. I love the sound .. not overly loud and they must knock 20 lbs off the overall weight. No real performance gain that I can feel but mileage is the same and so is everything else. I used to tell my older son that the FJR sounded like a Tiger purring .. now it's a Tiger growling. Very nice tone overall.
Al

Thanks ,

i think the growl is going to be nice, now I only need to know if a power commander is needed if i run their whole system!

Anyone that can answer that question, it would be much appreciated

i think the growl is going to be nice, now I only need to know if a power commander is needed if i run their whole system!
I run the Muzzy 4-2-1 with a UNI air filter and no PCIII. The Muzzy is a bit lighter than the stock exhaust so I do notice an improvement in performance, but I doubt the engine is giving me as much power as it could with the PCIII. So, the answer is, yes, you can successfully run aftermarket pipes without a PCIII, but you won't get maximum performance. The Muzzy system uses the O2 sensor so it does allow the ECU to compensate somewhat.

Thanks ,

There's a big difference between the Holeshot's fully system, and just their slip-ons. While the slip-ons give a nice growl, the full system will give a fairly good roar that will be too much of many. Not as bad as an opend pipe cruiser, but definitely louder that just some slip-ons.

As for needing a PCIII for a FULL system, I would highly recommend it, but it's probably not necessary. But believe me, you will want it. It will really make your system shine. I am not sure why one would spend the big $$$$ for a full system and not get the PCIII to make full use of it.

Personally, I like the stealth sound of the stock mufflers. If I ever go this route I'm going for the headers only approach. It gets rid of the cats and the coating should increase gas velocity which also contributes to less heat. Just by the looks of the Holeshot headers I would guess they wouldn't do much more than reduce weight a bit and maybe knock the heat, what there is of it, down.. Maybe the Muzzy's look like the old Kerker and Yosh pipes that used a collector and extractor type of scavenging to increase HP, but I'd bet it wouldn't be all that much. If you did get 10HP at the top end ---- Are YOU really gonna use it???? If you are into Psy-War psuedo performance, where your real goal is something to make you bike look different and get oooh's and aaaah's, maybe the Muzzy is the way to go. Not trying to take a shot at any individual, but this is another one of those, "I wanna farkle, tell me which one is the coolest" threads that really boil down to pick the one that you like the looks of best.

Personally, I like the stealth sound of the stock mufflers. If I ever go this route I'm going for the headers only approach. It gets rid of the cats and the coating should increase gas velocity which also contributes to less heat. Just by the looks of the Holeshot headers I would guess they wouldn't do much more than reduce weight a bit and maybe knock the heat, what there is of it, down.. Maybe the Muzzy's look like the old Kerker and Yosh pipes that used a collector and extractor type of scavenging to increase HP, but I'd bet it wouldn't be all that much. If you did get 10HP at the top end ---- Are YOU really gonna use it???? If you are into Psy-War psuedo performance, where your real goal is something to make you bike look different and get oooh's and aaaah's, maybe the Muzzy is the way to go. Not trying to take a shot at any individual, but this is another one of those, "I wanna farkle, tell me which one is the coolest" threads that really boil down to pick the one that you like the looks of best.
+1

jim