My balloon got popped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

I have now graduated from "waiter" to "baiter". IT is now sitting in her new home. But here is how it played at the dealer,

I made it to the dealer about 9:30. The bike is sitting as the first bike as you walk onto the floor. I check her over and notice the bag locks are not installed. I meet the owner and ask " don't the bags come with locks?" he said he thought so and called the service manager in. To shorten the story I found the locks under the drivers seat and the service manager put them in (he seems like a nice guy a harley man going to Sturgis for the second time and he is riding all the way) This was the first FJ he has put together only the second for the dealer (first was an 03). While he is putting the locks in I go to do the paper work with the owner. He said I looked into that situation you mentioned. "The salesman appearently made a promise without checking with service" That is ALL that was said. I let it drop. We finished minus the application for title paperwork as he did not have the point of origin papers.

I waited for the lock install to finish, pushed the bike outside, and cranked her for the first time. It had 3 miles on the OD for the safety check and no gas in the tank. I looked at the owner and mentioned the lack of fuel and he said that it had a gallon in it. I dropped my visor and headed for a gas station then home.

I rate this as what you may expect from an average dealer. Not a poor dealer, definiately not a great dealer. Just average. From what I have read hear my deal was average. But I am happy with it.

I did break tripple digets on the way home ;)

Since they were a little lame with the lock install I think I would call them up and ask whether they used locktite on the screws. This is a documented requirement and stories of lost locks abound. Maybe I would check myself, and not to disrespect your opinion of the dealer, I would rate them slightly below average. The least they could have done was to give you an apology for making you take two trips for your pickup and could have filled the gas tank to try to make ammends.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a smile, I would have told him that I am glad he is offering to fill my tank up with the gas that I wasted coming into the other day......... B)

It doesn't hurt to ask.

NC

I would never darken their door again!  And, if asked, I'd tell my peeps the same.
+1

I fugured the salesman caused the problem. He probably saw your bike in the shop and ASSumed it would be ready without asking anyone. I wouldn't expect any freebies or discounts, but a better appology was in order.

I don't think I would trust the service department if they didn't know enough to install the bag locks. Yamaha must provide a checklist for them that they obviously ignored. And I also agree that you better check those lock screws for loctite.

Oh, almost forgot the most important part. Enjoy your bike. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts