NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wheatonFJR posted: Getting together is hard. Finding places to get together in one space close to good riding destinations is not easy. Kudos to AJ and the crew for trying to make this thing happen!
Amen to the kudos! Getting way too excited about this, especially having visited the Durango/Telluride area 15 years ago. Unbelievable scenery, and amazing hospitality.

Yeeehaw, baby! About 1,600 miles ... wonder if anybody around here wants to do a BBG to Montrose?

My weapon of choice for NAFO. You haven't been on "goat trails" until you've followed Jim around WV. I've beat my FJR up enough - I'm certain that it loves the fact that the DRZ is in the garage, because now that's the bike that gets the fook beat out of it off road...

AJ - you need to take the week before NAFO off - I'm riding the SM & Goat Trails the entire week!

IMG_0422_zpswpz44brh.jpg

Also...What's with all the pretend dirt road riding? Why does anyone want to do that? An FJR is a poor excuse for a dirt oriented machine. They make specific bikes for those shenanigans. Ask Petey how cool an FJR is on a crappy road. I've never seen that guy mad, until that day, and he was pissed...as he should have been. All the great roads in CO and you guys wanna ride down a flat dirt road on an FJR? WOW!
I'm with AJ here 100%. If I wanted to ride dirt I would get a dual sport. (I want one)

As for Petey, yeah he was pissed! I walked up and looked at his bike and he said, "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" (smiling, of course) My reaction, though was to ask him if he was ok. Fuck the bike. Petey is my hero!

My weapon of choice for NAFO. You haven't been on "goat trails" until you've followed Jim around WV. I've beat my FJR up enough - I'm certain that it loves the fact that the DRZ is in the garage, because now that's the bike that gets the fook beat out of it off road...
AJ - you need to take the week before NAFO off - I'm riding the SM & Goat Trails the entire week!
Ooooooohhhh, I would have to put my FJR on a trailer with the KTM. We could ride the dirt bikes around like fools and then switch bikes for NAFO. That's the beginning of a pretty good plan.

I'm not sure if I'm bringing the FJR, but I may bring the SM wheels with some street tires on them. I have a set of "s" wheels now (21"/18") to put some proper off road tires on...

Ooooooohhhh, I would have to put my FJR on a trailer with the KTM. We could ride the dirt bikes around like fools and then switch bikes for NAFO. That's the beginning of a pretty good plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a dirt bike and a trailer, I'd bring both, IF I was going early and/or staying longer. There's so much fun stuff for both...

If I had a dirt bike and a trailer, I'd bring both, IF I was going early and/or staying longer. There's so much fun stuff for both...
Stop it! I will already be pulling a trailer to Red Lodge for the wife's bike. Don't make me to bring it to Montrose also.
fool.gif

Stop it! I'm already will be pulling a trailer to Red Lodge for the wife's bike. Don't make me to bring it to Montrose also. :fool:
Only if you bring an extra dirt bike....
No need to take an EXTRA dirt bike. One FJR and one Dirt Bike should cover it. But, if you do take an extra bike and someone needs, I have plenty of pants, jerseys and extra boots. They'll need their own helmet and chest rig. Hell, I even have extra goggles.

Since the first post doesn't show what the days or the location are, am I correct to assume it is the Holiday Inn Express, July 28th++++.

If so am so sad, as I will be on a 14 day Rockies Ride to Pagosa Springs to Jasper, Alberta and back to Portland, with my best riding buds. This will be the first SWFOG I will miss in 8 years. Bummer. I will miss you guys.
sadsmiley.gif
sad.png
fool.gif
sad.png
But of course, to make up for it, I will be having an EPIC 5K Rockies Ride.
smile.png
smile.png
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Yes Ken, July 28-31 are the official dates. With so much going on this year, it took a bit to nail down. We'll miss having you there.

Wasn't sure if I could make this but now looks like I'll have it nailed down with back to back weekend rallies in the Great Rockies. Hitting the Paonia, Top o' the Rockies rally the weekend before and tearing up the rest of the CO rockies all week long before making it into Montrose for this. Should be the highlight of my riding this year (since it probably won't be much). Looking very forward to it.

Ahh, mannn.....
It's been 20 years since I did any riding in Colorado. As much as I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to be at this little gathering, I doubt we'll be able to make it work.
You're not trying hard enough!

wheatonFJR posted: Getting together is hard. Finding places to get together in one space close to good riding destinations is not easy. Kudos to AJ and the crew for trying to make this thing happen!
Amen to the kudos! Getting way too excited about this, especially having visited the Durango/Telluride area 15 years ago. Unbelievable scenery, and amazing hospitality.

Yeeehaw, baby! About 1,600 miles ... wonder if anybody around here wants to do a BBG to Montrose?
If I was riding alone I would be all over that.

Updated the first post with this info:

Ok...Here's the info we have:

Official dates are July 28-31 in Montrose Colorado.

The hotel is picked, we're just waiting on final contract stuff. They only move as fast as they move. However, we all now have an exact date, so if you need to put in for time off, you're good.

As soon as we get stuff FINALIZED from the hotel, we will get the registration page up and running. Registration will cover the banquet and the incidentals. It seems like a good deal to me, and as soon as some costs are figured in, we'll post up the final price. Shirts will be available separately, so if you want one, great, and if you don't want one, we're good with that too.

That's if for now...I'll update this as we get more info.

HRZ

Dammit. Do you have any idea how hot Hwy 287 in NW Texas is at the end of July? I am struggling with this one right now.
Are you going to look for excuses or solutions? All loaded up for SW-FOG 2014 in Cedar City and cussing the wife all the way until we went through Colorado at 24 degrees and 3/4 inch of snow slush.