NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the dates are July 28-31. As far as the 28th goes is that intended as a check-in in the evening or be ready to ride first thing in the morning day?
The 28th would evening check in. Most people will probably ride in on Thursday and Friday. Some people may be there early though, so you could make Thursday a ride around day.
Making Thursday a ride around day and getting a head start on all the activities sounds brilliant.

Montrose to Moki Dugway 500 miles 11 hours saddle time will make for a long days ride.
Anyone familiar with Valley of the Gods Rd in Utah just East of the Dugway? Looks like smooth dirt that the FJR should be able to do at 30-50 mph if the weather is right. Someone was complaining about not enough dirt so I'll add 17 miles of it to the route. The scenery is of a Mini Monument Valley.
https://utah.com/monument-valley/valley-of-the-gods

Valley of the gods road. Sounds just right for an FJR. Its described as sandy, bumpy, with steep sections, high clearance vehicles recommended as it can be rough, and 4X4 may be needed if wet. Sounds like fun. NOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what has AJ et al, settled on for hotel and date so we can plan and book? Everything sounds good since I've done it before and am anxious for more adrenaline rushes.

So what has AJ et al, settled on for hotel and date so we can plan and book? Everything sounds good since I've done it before and am anxious for more adrenaline rushes.
You must be patient Pegscraper. Official announcement by Oface next Wednesday the 6th. Post 190 is the post informing of the big news. LOL

It's gonna be the Holiday Inn Express in Montrose. Marty got us a good deal with breakfast included, roped off parking and a good banquet price. He'll post up once contracts and stuff are official.

Also...What's with all the pretend dirt road riding? Why does anyone want to do that? An FJR is a poor excuse for a dirt oriented machine. They make specific bikes for those shenanigans. Ask Petey how cool an FJR is on a crappy road. I've never seen that guy mad, until that day, and he was pissed...as he should have been. All the great roads in CO and you guys wanna ride down a flat dirt road on an FJR? WOW!

It's gonna be the Holiday Inn Express in Montrose.
PLEASE, don't start calling them. The contract isn't signed yet, the holidays and storms are causing some delay and they won't give you the rate yet.
We're getting closer to having the website up and other things... Patience please.

Next week we'll probably close this thread and start a fresh one.

We have the dates and location set, and a very close approx of costs. That should be enough info to get that vacation time reserved...

Isn't a group rate supposed to be a discount? I'm getting $110 a night on the IHG website for just one room. :umm: Oooo, looks like I've got enough points to cover four nights... This may work out after all.
punk.gif

Yeah my ride on dirt/mud was a lot of fun, NOT!!
no.gif

15qrm7s.jpg

This wasn't even the rough part of the loop.

Looking forward to ride in CO at NAFO but not on dirt!

Isn't a group rate supposed to be a discount? I'm getting $110 a night on the IHG website for just one room. :umm: Oooo, looks like I've got enough points to cover four nights... This may work out after all. :punk:
Dude, please don't be that guy. You're quoting a NON-REFUNDABLE rate pre-tax. You want a refundable rate, they start at $129 pre-tax with restrictions. Regular rates are more.

What I have arranged is $119.73 all in per night. Refundable up to the the day of.

If you have an issue or think we have not done our due diligence, PM me, or better yet AJ. Don't pollute the thread... Thanks.

[qu8ote name=Northwoods Snowman" post="1280172" timestamp="1451531369]Isn't a group rate supposed to be a discount? I'm getting $110 a night on the IHG website for just one room. :umm: Oooo, looks like I've got enough points to cover four nights... This may work out after all. :punk:
Dude, please don't be that guy. You're quoting a NON-REFUNDABLE rate pre-tax. You want a refundable rate, they start at $129 pre-tax with restrictions. Regular rates are more. What I have arranged is $119.73 all in per night. Refundable up to the the day of. If you have an issue or think we have not done our due diligence, PM me, or better yet AJ. Don't pollute the thread... Thanks.WHAT?? I thought that jackass Wheaton was the complaint department. Besides, I don't know if you want me talking to the customers. I've been known to be "grouchy."
Me and my big assed mouth. Shouldn't have said anything yet...Sorry Marty!

Sounds like you're the perfect person to head up that department.

Besides, I don't know if you want me talking to the customers. I've been known to be "grouchy."
But it's normal for someone to ask that question; there will be individuals who do a crap-ton of travel for work and have reward points with this chain or another and get some crazy deal on a room. That's great for them. The rate we have is solid because of the cancellation policy - how many people will make reservations now and have to cancel? If we had that slightly lower rate with no cancellation policy, that person or persons would be screwed.

Wayne

By the way, if you have any hiking time prior to or after the NAFO shenanigans, I HIGHLY recommend visiting Canyonlands NP west of Moab, UT.

Probably in my Top Three NPs.

Getting together is hard. Finding places to get together in one space close to good riding destinations is not easy.

Kudos to AJ and the crew for trying to make this thing happen!

Montrose to Moki Dugway 500 miles 11 hours saddle time will make for a long days ride.
Anyone familiar with Valley of the Gods Rd in Utah just East of the Dugway? Looks like smooth dirt that the FJR should be able to do at 30-50 mph if the weather is right. Someone was complaining about not enough dirt so I'll add 17 miles of it to the route. The scenery is of a Mini Monument Valley.
https://utah.com/monument-valley/valley-of-the-gods

Valley of the gods road. Sounds just right for an FJR. Its described as sandy, bumpy, with steep sections, high clearance vehicles recommended as it can be rough, and 4X4 may be needed if wet. Sounds like fun. NOT!
I can attest to the quality of the Valley of the Gods Road. It will be challenging on the FJR. There are several washes that must be crossed, the sand can be deep. There are a couple of steep sections up rocky ledges...that is where I called it quits. You can easily traverse a very long section of it...it is just more suited to a Jeep or ATV/UTV or a dual sport. The road conditions will vary depending on weather...if its raining....forget it.

Also...What's with all the pretend dirt road riding? Why does anyone want to do that? An FJR is a poor excuse for a dirt oriented machine. They make specific bikes for those shenanigans. Ask Petey how cool an FJR is on a crappy road. I've never seen that guy mad, until that day, and he was pissed...as he should have been. All the great roads in CO and you guys wanna ride down a flat dirt road on an FJR? WOW!
I'm with AJ here 100%. If I wanted to ride dirt I would get a dual sport. (I want one)

As for Petey, yeah he was pissed! I walked up and looked at his bike and he said, "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" (smiling, of course) My reaction, though was to ask him if he was ok. Fuck the bike. Petey is my hero!

Ahh, mannn.....

It's been 20 years since I did any riding in Colorado. As much as I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to be at this little gathering, I doubt we'll be able to make it work.