Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodman/Art - both of you are very close.  Upon further reflection, in my quest for "guessable hints", I don't think I was very clear.

The answer is Hwy 212, just northwest of Hot Spring, NC.  That road is truly remarkable.  It follows the Laurel Creek, which of course is in the French Broad Watershed, and it is so fun to ride.  Every curve is predictable, technical, and smooth as a baby's arse.  At Tennessee, it turns into Hwy 352, and is just as good all the way to Interstate 26.  Along the way, the rider is treated with views of the creek, and a few opportunities to slow down and not worry about the next curve so much, but rather just enjoy the views.  The creek cascades on the down slopes of the mountain with clear water.  I really could just spend a day going back and forth there.

Goodman - you guessed Hwy 208, and I really think practically speaking, that is correct.  So I humbly yield the baton to you.

So I see it the road starts out as 208 from Hurricane and then you take 212 up through Allegheny. I liked the hints.  I should get penalized for typing Warm Springs when I meant Hot Springs, though.

I'll go ahead - here is the next road. This one is a reminder to me that mood affects your perception of a road. The first time I rode this it quickly became one of our favorites with great twisties and some awesome scenery. We did it again a few years later and I think we were fighting about something but we didn't enjoy it very much at all. Usually traffic will do that, but it wasn't traffic this time. I just ruined it by my attitude. I hope to do it again since it is well worth the drive.

I'm still thinking someone might get it from that mesa in the pic above, but I'll make it a little easier

This is looking out over some of the scenery to the northeast from the road. There is an iconic view of a spot in the river that is much more recognizable but I'll hold off on that one.  Also we have pics of the view of the landmark to the south that this road follows. 

At first I was thinking more northwest, but the sage in the first picture has me now thinking more southwest.

At first I was thinking more northwest, but the sage in the first picture has me now thinking more southwest.
Pants, I actually had to look that up, which should be a hint. It got way too technical quickly as there is not a standard for regions. Surprisingly, the Department of Labor considers Louisiana, Arkansas and North Dakota in their Southwest region, but not Nevada or Arizona which is stupid. I'm sure you are aware this isn't in Louisiana.  The majority of authorities include the state this road is in as Southwest.

Ok - I think that looks like southern Colorado.  I'm going to guess Hwy 160 where is crosses the Pedra River.  That is a pretty cool place - south of there, the Navajo State Park in northern Nm is a great campground to stop at.

Ok - the added pictures now lead me to believe it is the Gunnison River.  So I'm going to guess Hwy 92 near its intersection with Hwy 50.  I've been there and the Blue Mesa is stupendous!!

Ok - the added pictures now lead me to believe it is the Gunnison River.  So I'm going to guess Hwy 92 near its intersection with Hwy 50.  I've been there and the Blue Mesa is stupendous!!
Correct!! The first time we were in this area we saw the Black Canyon of the Gunnison from the south side before looping around through Gunnison and taking 92 up. Even though we had just seen the Grand Canyon and 5 stunning Utah parks we still enjoyed the Black Canyon. And 92 is just a great scenic road. 

Take it away, Pants!

OK - I've been looking forward to this post since the game started.  There is no way anyone would be able to guess this road, but I want to share it because this road has to be ridden.  So I'm going to try to use my writing to lead you to it, physically and metaphorically.

I found this road in the Fall of 2013 heading south out of the Cumberland Gap.  I was freestyling it by myself, with all day to get no where before meeting friends that evening in the town of my previous post.

Hwy 58 was not to be missed, and I enjoyed it as I knew I would. All that day, I was reflecting on my blessings.  A perfectionists by nature, this trip so far had been perfect.  Spiritual, dare I say.

Approaching the southern border of the birthplace of our nation, I spotted this crossroad.  It was one of those moments where the feeling got a hold of me.  Something was telling me to turn.  If you spend any time riding with Pants, sooner or later, I'm going to do this to you.  We are going to get off the beaten path and go on an adventure.  It might end up being a goat trail.  It might end up being uneventful.  But it might end up being really nice, and nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I pulled over, checked the GPS, realized that this road could get me where I was going, and made the decision to go for it.

I was soooo happy for that decision:

IMG_4327-X3.jpg

With plenty of open smooth blacktop to see ahead, and with traffic non-existent, I found myself putt-putting at 45-ish MPH just staring at the beauty and wonder of this land.  That low mountain range to the left followed me, and provided a fabulous backdrop to the canvas I was exploring.  Farmers took advantage of the flat valley, and this gave me plenty to see and enjoy.  I had a feeling of joy and peace that I fear few men every truly get to experience.  Everything was just right.  I was totally enamored in the moment, thinking not about what came before me, nor what was waiting ahead.

I found the path of the solitary conifer, and turned left toward my destination.  I'm a man of science.  It's hard for me to accept that which is not empirical.  But the road designation of this path is pretty amazing.

Reflection, Perfectionism, and Spirituality. Even this man of science cannot deny that in this wonderful place.

That area is awesome. VA 70 is a GREAT road! Right up there with a dragon road. We hit it whenever we are in the area. EOM Cumberland Falls. Camp and ride Breaks Interstate park. Most recently, and most closely to  Spiritual, dare I say , at the end of our 2017 YFO trip. 58 from Cumberland Gap eastward is....tranquilizing? The whole western end of VA is just a great ride. I was betting your road intersects 70, even without the tree hint.

50986898406_789a89c018_b.jpg

Describing the last day of our 20 day YFO trip, after getting drenched in Middlesboro then sky clearing brilliant blue with white puffies as we ran 58 to Jonesville:  

When we stop for fuel in Jonesville Va we have broken out of the clouds for good. The c-store that we stop at has tables and chairs off to the side. They are made of black steel mesh and there is no shade. It’s like they set this up as the perfect place to take a break and dry gear just before you ride one of the best m/c roads around. We do, we do and we do. Hwy 70 through Blackwater Va is one of my favorite roads. I’m reminded how lucky I am to live where we live, despite humidity. After 20 blissful days lapping 2/3rds of the US I find myself inwardly grinning as the last couple of hours riding into home have roads like Va70 and NC208/212.

So I think I'm looking for a road off 58 headed south that still got you headed toward Hot Springs NC. I have been in the general area but not on either 70 or 58 if I remember correctly. They both sound like roads I will need to plan to see.

I will guess Flanary Bridge Road / 758 as I don't think you would have taken 58 much farther east than 70 if you were headed to Hot Springs.

Duane - you are so correct.  Than entire area is excellent riding from both a technical perspective and a scenery perspective.  It is underutilized, and that I just fine with me.

Goodman - your thinking is correct, but your guess is incorrect.  I jumped off 58 PAST Jonesville, and doubled back to Hwy 70, AKA "Trail of the Lonsome Pine" or "Path of the Solitary Conifer" - in my clue.

Reflection, Perfectionism, and Spirituality.

I think you meant 604 which is AJ Osborne and starts as Dry Creek. 612 is Middle Wallens Creek Rd and it doesn't have a striped center line. They both look good, though.  
You're right, post corrected.

Should have known that Pants was too smart to fall for the old two guesses in one trick :)

Zigzagging across all those parallel valleys sure is fun. 

Latest posts