Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next to beautiful Lake Lure, we rented a pontoon boat for a spin on the lake during our visit tow years ago.  Too hot to climb a rock.
This is Lake Lure looking out from Chimney Rock. It wasn't hot but it kept sprinkling on the early October leaves which made the roads less fun. It took a lot of the fun out of going up Roan Mountain the next morning.

I also found pictures of the steps:

Another angle on Chimney Rock

50956372206_cb663d2274_b.jpg

Insert Beavis and Butthead chuckle

Don’t think that’s the Clinch in the background. This is an interesting little spot you might run across if you decide that you are absolutely positively NOT going through Knoxville to get to Kentucky 

That's a great pic of your set-up.  Bike looks like a mag shot or a scale model.
Thanks BO. That’s one of those pics I look at it later and think if I had put a little thought into it I could have had a really neat pic 

Duane - your hint was spot on.  I have been through there for this exact reason (avoid large cities), but admittedly, I have not stopped there.  This is Veteran's Overlook near Bean Station, TN.  Passed it on the way to Cumberland Falls, KY.

Pants nailed it. This was a couple hours into a twenty two day adventure. Perfect weather. Bike clean. Windshield clear. New tires and oil. Leaving home we had been through a little BRP, Hot Springs, Del Rio, Newport. Bean Station turnout to stretch the legs and then on to Cumberland Gap and beyond. Love cruising through those small towns off to slab. NOTHING like the feeling of the beginning of a long anticipated adventure 

I've not been in California north of Napa.  Nor any of Oregon.  Mark that one down for future reference.
If you plan to ride the northern CA and Oregon coast plan to do it in September. The coast is often cold and foggy during the summer. plus the tourist traffic is a pain in the ass during the summer months. The Oregon coast is especially scenic.  As a side note; Burney Falls is not on the coast it is about 200 miles east of the coast. 

I believe I'm up, so me thinks (hopes) I will crank up the difficulty a bit on this one, revealing one of my off the beaten path roads found not to be missed.  Fair warning:  Google has this road, but you've got to be looking for it. 

.At this place, I experienced one of the most fond memories of my entire life.  This grass valley sits firmly between two Giant points of interest:
2017%20Best%20Of%20(18)-X3.jpg

I believe I'm up, so me thinks (hopes) I will crank up the difficulty a bit on this one, revealing one of my off the beaten path roads found not to be missed.  Fair warning:  Google has this road, but you've got to be looking for it. 

.At this place, I experienced one of the most fond memories of my entire life.  This grass valley sits firmly between two Giant points of interest:
I like it.

Things I notice so far... Topography seems unique but I can't place it yet. These seem like foothills but that dome on the right looks volcanic. You can see the mountain range in the distance which could be the Rockies. Not a lot of variety in the trees but there are still plenty of them. Also there is a fence so it's not open range. I'm leaning toward Colorado, Wyoming or Montana on the east side of the Rocky Mountains.

Did Pants capitalize Giant because it's a clue? 

Could be from the movie Giant which was based in Texas so perhaps somewhere in the Texas?   The picture looks a lot like California foothills with the golden grass and oak trees but I think mr Pants is leading us away from Ca.

I found it with a cheat - wouldn't have had a hope otherwise.  (I have never ridden in that area.)

I will say it looks like an interesting road...

Ross - thank you for playing fair - shall we give our friends a day to mull it over?  If you agree, I'll answer their post with "warm or cold".  If not, feel free to post your guess.

As a side note, unlike my friend 1911, Pants has THOUSANDS of ride report pictures going back 10 years.  I've picked out my next 10 game entrants.  Not presuming that I will get 10 chances, but rather hopeful..

Edit:  I've heard from Ross, he will not be guess this one.  His reasoning is quite interesting.

So.... Doug, you are definitely warm.  Goodman, you are not.  And the capital "G" was intentional.