Need some advice on Y.E.S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark0212

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

first I want to say thanks to everyone for the forum and the invaluable information it provides!!

Now to my question. My warranty is about ot expire and I'm contemplating the Y.E.S program, but I live in Florida and cannot buy a warranty from D&H for 389, like so many have already done. The cost is $750 and I've already tried to haggle but no dice. The dealer stated they cannot discount the warranty...Florida law or some BS like that. That said, do any of you think its worth it or should I just dismiss the idea and hope for the best. I have an 08 AE with 8K.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought an 09A. The previous owner, yes it was used (970 miles) did not purchase a Y.E.S. contract and the factory warranty had expired. The dealer offered me some knock-off warranty for around the same $$ you're talking and I passed. My reasoning was, what could possibly break in the next three years that would cost that kind of money? Being anal retentive about bike maintenance, and having flushed countless dollars down the extended warranty toilet, I think I made a good choice.

I guess I'll know for sure in three years....

I just bought an 09A. The previous owner, yes it was used (970 miles) did not purchase a Y.E.S. contract and the factory warranty had expired. The dealer offered me some knock-off warranty for around the same $$ you're talking and I passed. My reasoning was, what could possibly break in the next three years that would cost that kind of money? Being anal retentive about bike maintenance, and having flushed countless dollars down the extended warranty toilet, I think I made a good choice.
It's 4 years and you're betting them $750.00 that nothing is going to break. That is a Bad Bet my Friend. Good Luck! :rolleyes:

The Y.E.S. program is an insurance policy to cover the costs associated with component failures. There are several guys who post on this forum who can vouch for its value under their own circumstances. Obviously it has to be actuarially sound, and that means that, on average people who buy it need to come up on the short end. Otherwise there wouldn't be any profit in it for the underwriter (Yamaha). Some folks benefit from the coverage, and other folks waste their money. Which kinda guy will you be?

If you're the kind of guy who puts 20,000 miles per year on your bike, you may want to have the peace of mind that goes with the extended coverage.

I do about 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year, but its spread out over several bikes as a rule, with no single bike getting more than maybe 8000 miles in a year, and I usually trade them before they hit 12,000 miles, so its not worth it for me. I bought the Y.E.S. coverage, and since I did not have any claims, I was able to cancel it when I traded the bike and get a pro-rated refund.

It's 4 years and you're betting them $750.00 that nothing is going to break. That is a Bad Bet my Friend. Good Luck! :rolleyes:
You're not betting that nothing will break. You're betting that what breaks will cost you less than $750 to fix. That's actually plausible, and it must be a good bet, or the insurance would cost more. Lets face it, odds are always in favor of the house, or the underwriter.

I've had Y.E.S. on all three FJR's I've owned. Didn't use it on the 03', did on the 05'. I'm not anticipating any problems w/ the 09' but.......all betting aside, how much is "peace of mind" worth to you? <_<

Mark,

Here's the deal in Florida:

"FYI for anyone living in Florida....The YES price (and any other vehicle warranty) is fixed by the state. It was ~740.00 when I bought it last weekend after taxes for the 4 year. It would have been the same at any dealer and you CANNOT buy from an out of state dealer if you live in Florida."

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114130

The 4 yr Warranty from Yamaha is a good one and transferable even to another party... like it was to me and it has paid for itself many times over.

Hope this helps... you have a raw deal in Florida.

How / why does the state that you live in (Florida) have anything to do with whether you can buy a warranty in another state? And what business does the state of Floriduh have in price fixing warranties? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Suppose you had bought the bike (and warranty) and then moved to FL. Or bought a used bike from another state with an existing warranty. Are the warranty then voided?

The Florida law is 'to protect Floridians' - in this case it works against you.

You can buy the YES for less if you are willing to do a small bit of work:

1. Call Yamaha and file a change of address. Tell them your bike is now in any state EXCEPT Florida. Use your Aunt Mildred's address or that of a buddy - don't worry, you aren't changing the registration, just your mailing address - and that's the only one that counts as far as buying the Y.E.S.. No proof is required, though the address has to be one you can get mail at.

2. Call D&H and pay them $389 - have the policy sent to your aunt's place.

3. After a suitable delay (like a month), have the address changed back to Florida.

4. Spend the $360 (plus any taxes you would have paid on the $750) you saved on a nice FARKLE - or perhaps take the little woman out for a special evening.

OF COURSE they could discount it. But why should they? You are a captive audience. I believe that they aren't allowed to sell it for MORE than the MSRP - I don't recall that they were prohbited from discounting it. Then again, even if they were prohibited from selling it for less they could always sell it to you for $750 and then give you a $361 gift certificate or credit note as recognition for being a good client - or as a belated birthday gift).

As to whether it is worthwhile? I got a headlight assembly (and am about to get a second); Each is worth the cost of the program plus labor. My fork seals are about to be replaced. I think I hear the begiinnings of a cam chain tensioner claim (to be made before May of next year). I think the rear shock is also on the list.

For me, it paid.

The Florida law is 'to protect Floridians' - in this case it works against you.
You can buy the YES for less if you are willing to do a small bit of work:

1. Call Yamaha and file a change of address. Tell them your bike is now in any state EXCEPT Florida. Use your Aunt Mildred's address or that of a buddy - don't worry, you aren't changing the registration, just your mailing address - and that's the only one that counts as far as buying the Y.E.S.. No proof is required, though the address has to be one you can get mail at.

2. Call D&H and pay them $389 - have the policy sent to your aunt's place.

3. After a suitable delay (like a month), have the address changed back to Florida.

4. Spend the $360 (plus any taxes you would have paid on the $750) you saved on a nice FARKLE - or perhaps take the little woman out for a special evening.

OF COURSE they could discount it. But why should they? You are a captive audience.

As to whether it is worthwhile? I got a headlight assembly (and am about to get a second); Each is worth the cost of the program plus labor. My fork seals are about to be replaced. I think I hear the begiinnings of a cam chain tensioner claim (to be made before May of next year). I think the rear shock is also on the list.

For me, it paid.

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if I can get that done by Thursday of this coming week. Is the number on Yamaha's website?

How / why does the state that you live in (Florida) have anything to do with whether you can buy a warranty in another state? And what business does the state of Floriduh have in price fixing warranties? This doesn't make any sense to me.
Suppose you had bought the bike (and warranty) and then moved to FL. Or bought a used bike from another state with an existing warranty. Are the warranty then voided?
Because it's not a "warranty" in the eyes of the state. It's "insurance". And Florida has very strict restrictive insurance regulations.

Wanna know something that absolutely reeks of irony? You don't have to insure a bike in Florida....but you can't buy insurance against breakdown from an out-of-state provider.

My wife, the venerable MissusHowie, has worked for State Farm for 38 years. And before you wonder "Isn't State Farm a Bloomington, Illinois, company?" she works for "State Farm Florida". A little corporate 3 card monte that allows State Farm of Illinois sell insurance in Florida.

The owners' manual says you are supposed to send them a postcard, which implies that you would not have enough time to file the change of address before the original warranty expires. But I suspect they'd take your phoned in change of address. I believe that the number for Yamaha customer service is 800 962 7926.

I had added some verbiage to my post while you were composing your reply. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Good luck.

The owners' manual says you are supposed to send them a postcard, which implies that you would not have enough time to file the change of address before the original warranty expires. But I suspect they'd take your phoned in change of address. I believe that the number for Yamaha customer service is 800 962 7926.
I had added some verbiage to my post while you were composing your reply. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Good luck.
Thanks again. I may be screwed if D&H doesn't take credit cards and I believe I read that they don't. Maybe I could overnight a check and still save hundreds!!!

Fedex is indeed your friend.

I would probably be inclined to send them a money order, bank draft or cashier's check if your personal checks have your Florida address on them.

Maybe they would accept a Western Union wire transfer?

as a general rule, extended warranties are rarely used.......on anything.......
Spend that money on gas and taking trips and IF later something does require $750 in repairs then you can spend the money.
I disagree. If I had an AE which was just now coming off warranty, I would definitely spend the $350 on 4 years of YES warranty extension.

Hell I'd spend the $750 if I couldn't get the D&H deal. And I know that I would probable fix most of my own little problems. But, between the complicated YCCS errors, and burning up of wiring harnesses (ground spiders) I'd want that protection for another few years.

At the very least it would be a major re-selling point should you move on to a different steed in the next 4 years.

At the very least it would be a major re-selling point should you move on to a different steed in the next 4 years.
You're fooling yourself. It might be a factor in picking one used FJR over another, but there's certainly no guarantee that it will be a factor in what you can get for the bike.

Y.E.S was worth NOTHING when I was trying to sell my low mileage no damage properly maintained 06 AE in April and May (high season) this year. There were 3 years left on Y.E.S., and unlimited mileage, so the Y.E.S. coverage was better than what a buyer would have gotten from Yamaha on a new one.

All farkles are orphans when it comes to selling unless you get a naive buyer.

Y.E.S. is a nice addition if you plan to keep the bike and run up the miles. If you're going to buy it, buy it for your peace of mind... don't buy it with the expectation that its going to be a factor in resale. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't be. It sure didn't make mine worth any more. I was glad it could be canceled and refunded.

I respectfully suggest that the sample you have used in your research is way too small to have come to a general conclusion on the preferences of the marketplace.

In my opinion, if I was in the process of buying a used machine and was comparing available units to arrive at a decision, all other things being equal the warranty would be a major factor as it mitigates risk on the part of the buyer. I would even be willing to pay a small premium for the peace of mind - which is the reason the original owner would have used to justify the purchase of the warranty in the first place. If the bike was equipped with useful farkles like OEM heated grips (rather than things like bar risers, cheap aftermarket gewgaws like bar ends and such, which are personal preference items) I would be prepared to pay a premium for those as well.

Latest posts