Need some insurance advice....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
My son works for me and last week a woman backed into his truck in the parking lot causing some minor damage. He got an estimate to have it repaired and it came in at $1700.00. The woman's insurance carrier sent an adjuster to look at it and he estimated the damage at $700.00. On the writeup I noticed he specified all reconditioned non OEM parts whereas our guy estimated it with Toyota parts. Do we have to accept the $700.00 or can we specify that all the parts have to be OEM and the shop we choose has to do the work? Whats the next step?

Depending on the year of the vehicle.

Insurance companys will est. using used or aftermarket parts if it is over a certain age.

You have the option of whatever body shop you want to bring it to.

But if it is an older vehicle. You would have to shell out the difference if you want them to use OEM parts.

Tim

Different states have different regulations regarding the use of OEM parts vs. non-OEM. I'm not sure what reg's are in the state of New York. Suggestion: call your insurance agent and he / she can advise you -- they will know the New York regulations regarding this issue. You can also contact the New York Insurance Dept to get help. Most states require that the address and phone number of the individual state Insurance Dept be included with your auto policy -- take advantage of the insurance dept's services.

Ice Man