• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Helibar Group Buy (Ends Feb 21st 2009)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are welcome! Jennifer told me that all orders placed are shipping today and they are already at 20 orders and that number is growing. If you are on the fence and thinking about doing this place your order now to take advantage of this great price.

Ordered mine today.

Jennifer says they're in stock and shipping today !!!!

Local dealer quoted 1 hr shop rate [or less] if done w/the ignition recal.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered mine today.
Jennifer says they're in stock and shipping today !!!!

Local dealer quoted 1 hr shop rate [or less] if done w/the ignition recal.....
I do not know why the dealer would need to charge anything as they will have to remove the old tripletree to change the switch. It takes the same amount of work to put the old one back on as it would to install the new Heli bars back on. I have already install the new Heli, instructions are pretty good, even a caveman can do it! I did not remove my gas tank to change out the bars that will save you some time.

Odd thing happened today. Dealer accidentally scratched my stock upper triple tree while performing the ignition switch recall. They could not have handled it any better, very up front, very apologetic, extremely professional. So I'm seriously considering replacing the stock with Heli and letting the dealer supply the labor.

In any case, thanks for organizing this GB!

Okay, bars should be here tomorrow. Anybody examined the recall work?

Do they replace the security screws with regular or the same ones as factory?

In other words, do I need to drill them out to swap out the heli mount after the recall?

Thanks,

Jimbo

Yes, they replace them with the same security screws from Yamaha. You will have to drill them out and provide new ones.

Just ordered mine. FYI - Jennifer said they're currently out of stock, but expect the ship date to be 2-25.

My wrists are looking very forward to this... THANKS for setting it up!

Thanks for the heads up on the buy.

Got mine today UPS-got notice from dealer for switch update today too-parts are ready for install.

I got a new rear Avon 56 on this w.e. and forum warning about lubing drive shaft was a good heads up.

Rust mites were knockin' on the door(shaft)! 13k miles

Forum is worth the $$$ :clapping:

Ordered mine today. Shipping next thursday 2-26. Thanks for organizing this group buy.

Wow! Thanks all for getting us the great Group Buy price, just made it today in time. Jennifer remembered my earlier purchases and cut me in on this must have accessory for my yet to be delivered '08.

Gary in Fairbanks

EDIT: In case anyone cares about busting the posted time frame, I both called and sent an e-mail regarding the purchase 2/21 per the Buy specs, but they had closed for the weekend. Jennifer e-mailed on Monday 2/23 to call Tuesday to order. Which I did. Good folks @ HELI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, it is all over now and I just emailed Jennifer to remind her. I am glad it worked out guys.

Got the Heli installed today, yeah! Dealer did not leave the wire guard on, took it off. Is this a problem? Should I just use a zip tie?

Does anyone have any before & after shots or step by step shots for you do it yourself guy's ? petty interested in purchasing the helibars even though the group buy is over, also any pros & con's about install and or before and after

Does anyone have any before & after shots or step by step shots for you do it yourself guy's ? petty interested in purchasing the helibars even though the group buy is over, also any pros & con's about install and or before and after
Just installed mine yesterday that I got from a forum member. I had looked at the installation instructions on the Helibar website in anticipation of getting the triple clamp. I always like to be prepared in advance for projects like this! Anyway, the web instructions do not include the photos that they refer to, but there are photos with the delivered product. You DO need to remove or lift the front of the tank, and the t-bar, and the heat shield to access the two ignition switch plugs behind the steering stem. You also need to drill out the tamper proof bolts that hold the ignition switch. These are hefty bolts, the equivilant of 5/16". A drill press is the easiest way to do it, but I imagine that with care, it could be done by hand. ( But definitly NOT on the bike! ).

Most of the hard work is getting to the point where you are ready to install the triple clamp! After that, it is a cake walk. Also, the throttle cable needs to be re-routed so that you have enough slack in the cables at full left lock. I saw a couple of descriptions and pictures of this on the forum, but until I was actually in there doing it, I couldn't understand where to re-route them.

It also is really helpful to have some special tools that you will also need if you are going to do some of your own maintainance: the big socket (26mm?) for the triple clamp top nut, some good metric allen sockets, torque wrench in the 10 ft. lb. to 100 ft.lb. range, etc. Besides, it is more satisfying to do the work yourself that to risk having a dealer who charges around $80 an hour, and who is rushed, to end up dinging up something on your baby!

Just installed mine yesterday that I got from a forum member. I had looked at the installation instructions on the Helibar website in anticipation of getting the triple clamp. I always like to be prepared in advance for projects like this! Anyway, the web instructions do not include the photos that they refer to, but there are photos with the delivered product. You DO need to remove or lift the front of the tank, and the t-bar, and the heat shield to access the two ignition switch plugs behind the steering stem. You also need to drill out the tamper proof bolts that hold the ignition switch. These are hefty bolts, the equivilant of 5/16". A drill press is the easiest way to do it, but I imagine that with care, it could be done by hand. ( But definitly NOT on the bike! ).

Most of the hard work is getting to the point where you are ready to install the triple clamp! After that, it is a cake walk. Also, the throttle cable needs to be re-routed so that you have enough slack in the cables at full left lock. I saw a couple of descriptions and pictures of this on the forum, but until I was actually in there doing it, I couldn't understand where to re-route them.

It also is really helpful to have some special tools that you will also need if you are going to do some of your own maintainance: the big socket (26mm?) for the triple clamp top nut, some good metric allen sockets, torque wrench in the 10 ft. lb. to 100 ft.lb. range, etc. Besides, it is more satisfying to do the work yourself that to risk having a dealer who charges around $80 an hour, and who is rushed, to end up dinging up something on your baby!
I did mine without remove or lifting the tank, just put some towels over the gas tank. The instruction on the website do provide the pictures also.

I did mine without remove or lifting the tank, just put some towels over the gas tank. The instruction on the website do provide the pictures also.

How the heck did you disconnect the two ignition switch plugs located under the tank?? Or did you hand drill the tamper proof bolts for the ignition on the bike??

Thanks for reply, I like to prepare for such jobs as well, my heli bar should be here in the next couple day's so I'm getting geared up, I have done some work to other bike's I've had and have installed a PC III on my present 08 FJR so I've had the tank off and have mingled around under the hood so to speak, I've just never messed with the disconnection of the throttle and from what is shown on the web doesn't do a super job in explanation or photo's, maybe the direction's & photo's that come with will be better or maybe I'm worrying to much and it's pretty simple, That's why I love this forum everyone can pass along help full hints that are maybe missed in some direction,

Thanks again

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.