New Throttle Pulley on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred your taking a ton of crap from these guys, you might try Nippon as a source for the pulley. I dont know if thats a Yamy thing or on the Nippon side of things ??

:) You know the one about the engineer ??? Ask him if the glass half full or half empty ??? The glass is twice the size it needs to be. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The 06 design made the throttle even more sensitive than previous models.
Fred, you don't know this for sure. Your guessing. Not very proper for an engineer, no? In fact, of the folks that have upgraded from an 03-05 generation FJR, I have heard zero bitching about the throttle. What does that tell you?

Others may simply adjust to it and it won't be a factor for them. Most of the time I can live with it, but where it really bothers me is riding tight 30-40 mph twisites in any kind of aggressive fashion where throttle control becomes important. It is hard to ride the bike smooth and make mid corner throttle adjustments or shifts without really upsetting the suspension and your line in a turn. It also can make the bike a bit difficult to ride around in traffic at slower speeds when you need to keep the rpms down in the lower ranges.
The fact is, a relatively low percentage of 06 owners are complaining about this. As with most things in life, there is always that very vocal minority.

I think TWN was spot on. This isn't an FJR problem, this is an owner problem based on their perception of what they think the FJR should be. Which makes it a very real problem for those owners, and I sympathize, but be careful when assigning blame to Yammie, or their engineers. I mean, if 90% of the people have no issue about the throttle, I would say there is no reason for Yamaha to change anything.

Maywannayamaha1300 - Don't you only have about 600 miles on your FJR? It took me a couple thousand before I adjusted to the FJR. You need more seat time, IMHO. Or face the fact that the FJR is not the right bike for you.

The 06 design made the throttle even more sensitive than previous models.
Fred, you don't know this for sure. Your guessing. Not very proper for an engineer, no? In fact, of the folks that have upgraded from an 03-05 generation FJR, I have heard zero bitching about the throttle. What does that tell you?

Others may simply adjust to it and it won't be a factor for them. Most of the time I can live with it, but where it really bothers me is riding tight 30-40 mph twisites in any kind of aggressive fashion where throttle control becomes important. It is hard to ride the bike smooth and make mid corner throttle adjustments or shifts without really upsetting the suspension and your line in a turn. It also can make the bike a bit difficult to ride around in traffic at slower speeds when you need to keep the rpms down in the lower ranges.
The fact is, a relatively low percentage of 06 owners are complaining about this. As with most things in life, there is always that very vocal minority.

I think TWN was spot on. This isn't an FJR problem, this is an owner problem based on their perception of what they think the FJR should be. Which makes it a very real problem for those owners, and I sympathize, but be careful when assigning blame to Yammie, or their engineers. I mean, if 90% of the people have no issue about the throttle, I would say there is no reason for Yamaha to change anything.

Maywannayamaha1300 - Don't you only have about 600 miles on your FJR? It took me a couple thousand before I adjusted to the FJR. You need more seat time, IMHO. Or face the fact that the FJR is not the right bike for you.
I agree with SkooterG, my 06 feels the same as my 05 FJR.

I suspect most owners would rather have a bike that rides and shifts smooth than one that feels quick in the first 1/3 of throttle movement.
Up until 2002, when I bought my FJR, I'd have thought the same thing. After several years of reading the forums, I'm not as convinced that drivability is as important as squidliness to some. :)

I HAVE to remove the plastic and gas tank at least twice a week or else I go into withdrawls.
On another note: Fred, Please keep us posted so we know when you've completely torn down and reassembled your working bike. It'll be interesting to see if the time lines are like those of your past bikes. :D Everyone else needs to understand that Fred's tag line isn't a joke.

I think TWN was spot on.
Good God! The end of the world is nigh!

Fred your taking a ton of crap from these guys
Par for the course.
Nah, we like to shoot bogey on this course.

Seriously, my point is that some of the 'problems' are perceived. That does not mean that they are not real to the individual. Some love the stock seat, my skinny ass perceives it to be a piece of shit, designed by the engineer who brought us the torture rack. I ain't dissin' your work, bro. Contrary, I find your write-ups quite informative and I'm sure that some will find them helpful for their particular situation. I'm just stating a counter-theory to the [exaggerate] 'this bike is a piece of shit' [/exaggerate] comments. Happy tinkering! ;)

No, I did this while riding on the way to work. Less than 1mm in fourth gear and you are at or above 60mph (I'm not counting throttle slack).
You have a point on my "point of reference" being a Wing and a Connie. Sport bike guys may not find this to be an issue, but I just don't like it. I want a bit more control in the lower RPM ranges than what is provided.

I suspect Grip Puppies will help, but I am thinking I am going to have to come up with a modification to that pulley as well. Stay tuned....
Look for a throttle barrel for the handlebar that has a smaller circumference(meaning where the cable wrap around). Will slow down the action some.

Another vote for the '06 feeling like all the previous years. Reducing the "free-play" in the cables has been found by many to help if the throttle feels to abrupt.

Sorry but this is just a plain ol' non-issue for me. I think about where and how I want to get somewhere, and the FJR does it. Throttle response is perfect for me. Now it is a little hard with the stock springs the way they are, but I'm getting more used to it as the miles pile up.......think I'll be able to rip phone books soon :)
Seriously, I think you have every right to modify your vehicle how it suits you. But don't forget to enjoy it's unique character too.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

My other bike is a Goldwing, so I am well aware that Fred knows how to dig in and solve a problem. My only hope is that Fred is documenting all his work and that we may end up with a great video series on how to work on the FJR like he produced for the Goldwing. As for the issue with the throttle, I found that Grip Puppies did help make it better for me. Go for it Fred! :clapping: :clapping:

Fred,

I just got back from taking my bike on a little 100 mile jaunt today and I watched for this issue. The throttle is much more sensitive than my 1800 Wing. You grab the throttle and you have a lot of RPMs pretty quick, but I thought it felt pretty good. No complaint from me. Hey, you just got to have some smooth hands that can manipulate things carefully (heh-heh). Let us know what you find out.

I also have Fred's videos on how to work on your GoldWing. They are fun and very informative in taking on a monster of a complex bike. Sic em Fred.

Flint

All done, works great.
https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/thottlepulley

I will put a full write up on the tech board on what I did.
Fred - you are truly F'ing amazing!!! :clapping:

I remember when you were "debating" on the Goldwing forum as to whether or not to buy an FJR. I was one of the major supporters trying to convince you to take the plunge. I sure am glad you did. On a post earlier today (or maybe last night) I replied to someone that if my FJR were stolen that I would get another one. I'd like to amend that to say that I want to get whatever Fred has. :lol:

Sometimes I am frustrated when manufactures make changes to fix things that aren't broken. Yamaha made some really good changes to the FJR in 06, but this ain't one of them.

I pulled off the tank to investigate the new pulley today. They have made the pulley on the throttle body so that it has a progressive pull. It gradually increases in diameter, and the end result is that very small changes in throttle movement at low RPM translate into much larger movements of the throttle plates. The end result is that it makes the bike feel twitchy, and high strung and it makes it extremely difficult to make throttle changes in mid turn without upsetting the bike. In some situations, it borders on becoming downright dangerous and you really have to focus and pay attention to throttle control as all you have to do is think about twisting it and the bike will speed up. It is real easy to snatch the bike when shifting and cornering and you really have to make a conscious effort to keep it under control. It just shouldn't be this way. I have done the Barbarian mod and taken all the slack out of the throttle cable and synchronized the throttle bodies, and released the center return spring, but it still is too twitchy for my tastes.

I don't know why Yamaha made this change to the bike, but it sure seems like a cheap parlor trick to make the bike feel faster without having to make any changes to the engine. A bike with the kind of horsepower and torque that the FJR has should not need to resort to this type of trickery. And besides, I suspect most owners would rather have a bike that rides and shifts smooth than one that feels quick in the first 1/3 of throttle movement. I can't help but wonder if this didn't contribute to some new owners getting rid of brand new bikes after only a few rides.

Fred,

According to the July 2006 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine\Page 40\Paragraph 2 The Yamaha FZ1 is also plagued with the twitchy throttle at the 1/3 range. I posted earlier about the bike not being smooth in slow traffic because of the unstable throttle response on my ride to Ruidoso NM.

Here is what the MC Magazine has to say about the FZ1 "The New 20-valve four is afflicted with the same convulsive off-idle throttle response that troubled test bikes at the FZ1's South African Introduction. A good rider can deal with it, but this bike deserves better."

Sounds like MC magazine is also in the "small vocal minority". I added grip puppies, and it really helped the control at lower speeds.

bob

I put a write up on what I did on the tech board. It only took a couple hours to do. Bike is a heck of a lot better to ride now, and has a more linear pull accross the range of throttle motion.

large.jpg

Here is what the MC Magazine has to say about the FZ1 "The New 20-valve four is afflicted with the same convulsive off-idle throttle response that troubled test bikes at the FZ1's South African Introduction. A good rider can deal with it, but this bike deserves better."
I would agree with that statement. It is not an insurmountable problem that good throttle control can't overcome, and a good rider can deal with it (but probably won't like it). I just don't think you should have to and I think the FJR deserves better too.

While it does make the bike feel like it launches fast, and gives it a feeling of rapid acceleration, it also makes it difficult to control in certain circumstances.

My mod does take away some of the thrill of the bike feeling like it is going to squirt out from underneath you when you first turn the throttle, but it also is a WHOLE lot easier to ride in a relaxed way, like a motorcycle should be. I think my wire may be just a smidgen too thick and I suspect once I add the grip puppies I may need to try to tweak it a little to reduce it's effect some, but overall I am happy with it. I suspect once I get some more time on it and get adjusted to the new feel, I may decide it is just right. I need more time to try it and see if it needs any further adjustment.

Where I had 1 or maybe 1.5 mm travel to hold the bike steady at 60mph in 4th gear, I now need about 4 or 5mm of throttle travel.

Now, pardon me while I go for a ride.....

There is something you need to think about. By doing the other mods (barbarian mod, removing return spring) you have now changed the engineering that was designed in. If you had left the throttle return spring on, there would be more resistance on the throttle, helping you to be smoother on the throttle because there is more resistance.

Also, everything is relative. You pointed out in an earlier post that it was difficult to be smooth in the twisties at 30-40mph. What gear are you typically in and/or what rpm are you at? I was through some twisties this weekend at about 40-45mph in 3rd gear around 3000 rpm and have no problems with the throttle. For me, it can get to be abrupt around 2000-2500 rpm.

Finally, it does make a difference what you have been riding. If you want abrupt throttle, ride a two stroke some time. I have been riding sport bikes most of my life, never rode a GoldWing or Connie. The FJR for me is so easy to drive fast, not as fast as my Tuono through the same twisties, but fast enough.

Props to you though Fred, you are the king of making mods!