NY - Adirondack's Ride June 14th 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
Pencil this in to your calendars (if you're interested):

Jim and I (aka ZOOOMM and herfjr) are putting together an FJR ride for Saturday June 14th, 2008. We don't have all specifics worked out yet but here's what we're thinking.....

We're figuring leaving Circle Diner in Latham, NY at 8:30am. If you want breakfast/coffee, get there earlier. Plenty of parking at the diner.

There are several lodging accomodations nearby too. We will post them as the time gets closer.

The ride will include parts of Sacandaga Lake, up through the Adirondacks and lunch at Long Lake. Then a coffee stop in Lake Placid (Home of 1980 Winter Olympics). We'll be heading back along the west side of Lake George, stopping for dinner in Bolton Landing and then heading back to Latham.

This ride is a full day ride. Ride at your own pace.......hope you can keep up :clapping: just kidding (sort of).

I indicated that this is a 360 mile loop, however we can provide a couple of shorter variations for those who may want to head back sooner.

Any thoughts?

If I have no other commitments that I don't yet know about, I'll try to make it.

also, as soon as i know the dates of our ride(s) down this way, i'll let you know.

No disrespect intended and, I'm not likely to head that far south to the starting point of a day ride as I ride out of Montreal, but that sounds like a shorter version of a typical Satuday or Sunday day ride for the group I ride with - we tend to meet for an early breakfast and toss a coin to decide where to go . . . if I may be so bold as to ask; why are you planning it in such detail so far in advance?

There are some amazing secondary roads in the park if you are adventurous - some of them are unpaved and a lot are in a questionable state of repair - but it can be amazing.

BTW - If you're going to be in Lake Placid, I might suggest you head a couple of miles farther, toward Saranac Lake (nice not-straight 2 lane if you take the direct route and the tourists don't clog it) and stop at a regional tourist trap called 'Tail 'O The Pup' in Lake Placid - Burgers, ribs, and such served outdoors.

GPS Co-ordinates: N44 17.923 W74 04.583

Highway 3 to Highway 30 south to 28N might be an interesting start for your run back toward home after the snack break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts?
Thanks for putting this on! I'll be heading West in the RV with the dogs, kids and wife. Thats Western US, not Western Mass!

I'll try to make the next Adirondack ride, now if I can just learn to keep up with ya'll :)

Who's leading?

If Iris is leading, I just need to find a Lee Parks course (or comparable) before then and I'll be in!

Just kidding (sort of).

Who's leading?
If Iris is leading, I just need to find a Lee Parks course (or comparable) before then and I'll be in!

Just kidding (sort of).

With all joking aside, it's not intended to be a race. We need to think about safety and I personally don't enjoy speeding tickets (Jim gets very upset with me if I get tickets).

Jim and I talked about leading and how that would all work. I think it depends on how many people show up. If it is a large sum, then we'll break up into groups. If it's a small amount of riders, then we'll just take turns leading.

We are just throwing the idea out there and we set a date so that people can plan (well in advance) and pencil it in to their calendars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun, Iris. I can't commit until I see what the Spring Track and Field calendar looks like Our son is in college (at U Albany). That may be just about the time for the NCAA meet. He's a junior this year and has a shot at qualifying for Nationals in Decathlon if all goes well. We will definitely keep that date penciled in.

I do that ride at least once a year. In fact I usually organize a ride during Americade (6/2/08) following that route. Great roads and scenery. I'll go if I'm free.

Hey Guys, Met you at Americade last year...

Was just up that way a couple of weeks ago, coming from "Downstate" that's the exact loop we take to get back to Lake George.

It was actually snow flurrying while we were in the "Pup". They had outdoor heaters set up everywhere!

COG_07041.jpg

COG_07042.jpg

Got it penciled in on my calendar. Would also like to catch Randy's outing, if he does it again next year. Upstate NY is just the right distance from home for a great overnighter. Hope it works out.

I might be interested in this one. I'm thinking that I need to have a bigger ride area. Go to places that I haven't ridden. '08 sounds like as good a time as any. Will have to see how my pocketbook is looking closer to the event.

Iris, you really aren't kidding about keeping up. You forget, some of us have ridden with you.

Heidi