NY - Adirondack's Ride June 14th 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, it's the "Cats and Dacks Ride" then.....I really like that!

The plans are still evolving but it seems that we (Jim and I) are leaving Latham area early Friday morning (7:00ish) to ride down to Phoenicia which is where Sweet Sue's is. Let us know if you want to ride down to the Catskills together. We could meet at the Circle Diner parking lot.

Geezer is correct in saying that it's usually quite busy there and it's good to get there early to get our place in the que. However, if there are too many of us we may need to find another place to meet for breakfast because Sweet Sue's cannot accomodate that many people. (I'm thinking Geezer's house! LOL). Seriously though, if there's more than 10 people, we need to consider an alternative. We'll take a head count for Friday morning breakfast a week ahead of time.

-Iris

I have a plan A B and C for this. Plan A is to find a way to get Grammy to watch the girls, and bring my wife on out there and make it a mini 3 day vacation for us. Plan B is to round up my two buddies and drag them out there to meet you all. Plan C is to do none of the above, and once again miss out on the cool stuff. Personaly I'm hoping for plan A. We could use some fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a plan A B and C for this. Plan A is to find a way to get Grammy to watch the girls, and bring my wife on out there and make it a mini 3 day vacation for us. Plan B is to round up my two buddies and drag them out there to meet you all. Plan C is to do none of the above, and once again miss out on the cool stuff. Personaly I'm hoping for plan A. We could use some fun.
DC,

Plan A and/or B sounds great. We'll keep our fingers crossed that Grammy is in a good mood. :)

The plans are still evolving but it seems that we (Jim and I) are leaving Latham area early Friday morning (7:00ish) to ride down to Phoenicia which is where Sweet Sue's is. Let us know if you want to ride down to the Catskills together. -Iris
Hi folks!

Not sure Sally and I can make it a day oily, however we might be able to leave oily on Friday. Maybe you could post the planned or estimated Friday route when you have an idea where you might tour so we could make an attempt to catch up t' yins on our way up there Friday?

Maybe Geezer already has something planned for Friday and we can follow his lead.

We (Jim and I) were just gonna wingit. We do know alot of good rides in the Catskills. I am sure we can pull something together with Geezer and give somekind of a route to you.

We can give you our cell phone numbers (we'll PM you) and you can call us as you're heading up towards the Catskills and we can tell you where we are....

Do those route directions include Garmin files in V1.gdb? Huh, huh, huh???

Marty, it'll be good to see you and Sally again.

Heidi

Heidi
I have Garmin files but the version I am running is 6 or 7. Will that work for you?

Heidi
I have Garmin files but the version I am running is 6 or 7. Will that work for you?
No it won't, Iris. It seems that I need to update my antiquated software. In the mean time, there is a way to save them down. Perhaps send them to me & I'll ask Jeff if he'd be kind enough to save them down. He has some shareware type software that seems to work really well.

So, please do send them. Kindly appreciated ma'am!

Maybe Geezer already has something planned for Friday and we can follow his lead.
I am riding a little slow these days so I'd be more useful riding sweep rather than leading.

I haven't pieced it all together into a route, but I was thinking about the following roads:

- 28A around the Ashokan

- 23A past Kaaterskill Falls - excellent surface and a few very nice curves

- 30 around the Pepacton - the surface is pretty rough between the intersection of 206 and Downsville, but otherwise a great road

- 10 from Walton to Deposit and then 97 down past the original Woodstock concert site - I haven't scouted this yet

- 214 out of Phoenicia

There are a bunch of covered bridges in the area. There is one in Downsville that we can ride through, and the longest single span covered bridge in the world is in Old Blenheim and is pretty cool, but closed to vehicle traffic, so we'd have to park and walk through the bridge.

Any comments or favorite roads that I haven't thought of?

Geezer,

You're thinking close to what I'm thinking.

How's this sound....

Leave Sweet Sue's and go:

- 28A around the Ashokan

-come back out on to 28 and head towards 30 but instead take County Route 47 (I think).

-That comes out near Route 55 and then from there we can take 44/55, past Minewaski to New Paltz.

-In New Paltz we can have coffee and mingle some more. Or we can eat something at P&G's which is right across from Starbucks.

-Then, those heading towards Albany/Latham can either take 32 North or NYS Thruway.

I like the idea of covered bridges though too. Route 30 and 10 are also good ideas, so either plan is good with me.

Geezer, I think I still have your cell plugged into my phone....I'll call ya.

-Iris

Thanks Fred, I certainly do appreciate it.
So, plans are changing as I sit here and think about it. I may leave the Hampton Roads area on Wednesday night, drive to my best friend's place in Lacey, NJ. Spend Wednesday night with her & her hub & finish the ride off on Thursday morning in order to miss metro traffic on the way in.
I'm going down to the STN meet that week. I would have driven up from Beach Haven with you. Good luck with the traffic, I think everyone in South Jersey works in the City or N Jersey.

Here's an idea for Friday's Ride from Sweet Sue's

The numbers only help indicate which direction I was thinking of heading (these aren't all stops).

2552439040_a7d5c879e0_b.jpg

The route you drew looks good to me. Do the Ashokan first because traffic builds up there in the afternoon.

I can't think where CR 47 is. CR 42 is a nice road from West Shokan to Gramsville, past Peekamoose, but it is very narrow. It still had snow on the shoulders and lots of sand on the road a the last time I rode that road.

From Phoenicia to Oliverea Rd in Big Indian I think we'll have to take 28.

Funny, but I never really plan a ride around here, I just kind of ride off and see where I end up.

My cell phone number has changed, and cell doesn't work around here anyway. :unsure:

I'm glad you like the plan....

Route 47 is kind of narrow also (sort of like 42 I think) but it's a real pretty road and runs along a creek.

We ought to be able to incorporate that too. I think we could just take a detour from Roscoe down to Bethel (which is where I think the site is).